Severed bunny head
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > Loading Saved Games from ZDoom 2.5.0 With ZDoom 2.6.1?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:12. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
NiTROACTiVE
Forum Regular

I had ZDoom 2.5.0 for some time now, but when I try to load a game saved in that version with ZDoom 2.6.1, it won't let me from some reason and just says "older version". Is there a way to be able to load saved games that are from older versions or not?

Old Post 09-01-12 04:54 #
NiTROACTiVE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

NitroactiveStudios said:
Is there a way to be able to load saved games that are from older versions or not?
Depends on how old the save is, demo and save game compatibility aren't high priority goals for ZDoom. There's a backward compatibility list and some more info here.

Old Post 09-01-12 05:19 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Short answer: no. If you have "unfinished business" with a level or entire megawad, it's advised that you finish them with the version you started them before upgrading. That's true of ANY source port, really.

Long answer: it COULD be done if Randy had no life and bothered writing converters fro and to every single version that every poor sod "left saves behind". But he has a life. And the differences between the memory layout of different ZDoom versions can be so great that the side-effects of loading (even if forced/tricked) old games won't just be minor errors.

Old Post 09-01-12 23:39 #
Maes is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Graf Zahl
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Savegame compatibility only gets broken if there's considerable changes to the engine's internal workings that make it impossible to load old saves.

And there have been many, many changes between 2.5 and 2.6

Old Post 09-02-12 00:00 #
Graf Zahl is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote