Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > The Best Mac OS X Port?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:30. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
princetontiger
Mini-Member

Hi Everyone,

I want to get this on the record for people playing doom on a Mac...

The three ports I've used are Chocolate Doom, PrBoom, and ZDoom.

I feel Chocolate Doom is the best, as it allows command line features. But, I guess it depends what people want to play.

PrBoom is handy, but you can't choose the level you want.

Last edited by princetontiger on 11-17-12 at 22:08

Old Post 11-17-12 21:56 #
princetontiger is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Why can't you load certain levels?

If the levels you can't load fail because they consist of multiple files, you have some features at your disposal that may let you workaround the Mac UI's serious limitations.

Option #1: bundle everything in a zip. If a certain loading order is needed, you can prefix each file with a number to give them an alphabetical sorting. E.g., if you have loadfirst.wad and loadafter.wad, you can name them 1_loadfirst.wad and 2_loadafter.wad in the zip. Then load the zip in ZDoom.

Option #2: create a small wad files which contains only a GAMEINFO lump. Use the LOAD instruction to tell ZDoom to load the given files in the given order.

Old Post 11-17-12 22:07 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
princetontiger
Mini-Member

Gez, it should be easy

I don't want to go through all that every time I want to play a wad.

PrBoom is super easy, but I'm not sure how to select levels.

Old Post 11-17-12 22:08 #
princetontiger is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
princetontiger
Mini-Member

It seems that it's getting tough to play doom now that I'm on a mac...
It's not like normal games where I can just pop and play..

GAMECEPTION on iPHONE is very easy... that's where I play most of my doom. It just "works"

Old Post 11-17-12 22:14 #
hex11
Forum Staple

Did you try something like this (at shell prompt):

prboom -file icarus.wad -warp 11

And inside the game, you can also use the "cheat code" IDCLEVxy, where xy = map number (in DOOM II) or ExMy (in DOOM).

Old Post 11-17-12 22:29 #
hex11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
princetontiger
Mini-Member

PrBoom has no shell prompt/console on Mac

Old Post 11-17-12 22:40 #
Maes
I like big butts!

princetontiger said:
PrBoom has no shell prompt/console on Mac

Nobody is preventing you from opening a terminal window and launching it with a prboom + options command.

Also, if you want to try something different that works on a Mac (also to do me some playtesting) you could try Mocha Doom (yup, shameless self-plug, I know... but it IS yet another way to play on a Mac ;-)

Old Post 11-17-12 23:21 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vulture

Odamex allows you to change wads on the fly through the console. Just tell odamex where your wads are located via the "waddirs" command and you can switch between whatever you want without restarting.

Examples:
wad doom2.wad
wad doom2.wad av.wad av.deh
wad doom.wad
wad doom.wad dtwid.wad
wad tnt.wad
wad plutonia.wad pl2.wad

Old Post 11-17-12 23:32 #
Vulture is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
princetontiger
Mini-Member

Maes,

I'll try your port... thanks!!!

Yep.. idclev gets the job done.

Old Post 11-18-12 00:14 #
DaniJ
Forum Staple

Doomsday is also available for the Mac (and actively developed on one too) and also features dynamic map loading from the in-game console.

Old Post 11-18-12 00:26 #
DaniJ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Netherstorm

I have tried to run Skulltag on my Mac OS X, but it won't run any wads. Instead, it automatically closes upon start up. I've tried a lot to get it to work but it just won't. So don't use Skulltag on the OS X because it does not work.

Old Post 11-18-12 08:00 #
Netherstorm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Does Zandronum work?

Old Post 11-18-12 09:08 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
princetontiger
Mini-Member

Netherstorm said:
I have tried to run Skulltag on my Mac OS X, but it won't run any wads. Instead, it automatically closes upon start up. I've tried a lot to get it to work but it just won't. So don't use Skulltag on the OS X because it does not work.
Haha man... the same thing happens.

PrBoom is my favorite... now that I know the IDCLEVXX cheat, that's all I really need.

Old Post 11-18-12 14:23 #
princetontiger
Mini-Member

I realize DOOM is an old game, so if I can't run a wad, I'm not too bothered... most of the wads seem to work pretty well as I come across them

Old Post 11-18-12 14:28 #