Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > Doom on other systems

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:23. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MH101
Warming Up

I would like to know how I can port Doom or Hexen to other systems, like if there's an android handheld console with a controller-style gamepad. What doom wad or files would I have to use to port it onto there?

Old Post 04-02-13 04:10 #
MH101 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

For a task like this the main skills you need are programming skills to be able to do the port. It usually involves taking an existing source port and adapting the code to work on the new platform. Some source ports are intentionally designed to be portable (like PrBoom and Chocolate Doom) which makes the task easier. With a port like that, sometimes it can just be a matter of recompiling to run on the new platform. Other platforms are more troublesome and require more extensive changes. Sometimes you might need to make code changes to support custom hardware (like the gamepad you describe).

Old Post 04-02-13 12:46 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MH101
Warming Up

where would i find the instructions for the task if i wanted to use the chocolate doom or prdoom source ports?

Old Post 04-02-13 18:07 #
MH101 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

There are no kind of generic instructions because things are compiled differently on every platform. It's a matter of working out how things are compiled on the platform you're targeting and then doing so accordingly.

Old Post 04-02-13 20:51 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote