Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > Comparison of Doomsday and Risen3d

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:43. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
invictius

Does doomsday have any advantages over risen3d? The reason I switched was that risen3d has boom support, whilst still having models, high-res textures, etc. I haven't found anything yet which puts doomsday at an advantage, but if there's anything, I'd definitely like to know.

Old Post 04-13-13 16:01 #
invictius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DaniJ

It depends largely on what your priorities are. However, a quick comparison of the published feature set on the respective websites of each port should give you more than enough to base a decision on.

Risen3d is based on a old version of Doomsday released nearly a decade ago now. Consequently it lacks all the features introduced since then. Conversely Doomsday doesn't yet have full BOOM support.

Saying that, I personally use several ports for different purposes.

Old Post 04-13-13 18:10 #
DaniJ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vermil

DaniJ said:
Risen3d is based on a old version of Doomsday released nearly a decade ago now.

Over a decade now; Risen3D was forked off Doomsday 1.7.8, which was released on 16/03/2003.

Old Post 04-14-13 09:16 #
Vermil is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

Although, you shouldn't come away with the impression that this makes Risen3D out dated. It has been worked on during that time and a new version came out only last week.

The ports do have a common ancestor but they have both evolved since then.

Old Post 04-14-13 12:19 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

Maybe I just haven't figured out how, but I never could get Risen3D to run without smooth textures / sprites. Whereas it's pretty easy to get Doomsday to do the same.

Although neither seems able to run in software mode; hence they're not very attractive to me. Although I will admit that long before I discovered this community, and with it ZDoom & Chocolate Doom, I was a Doomsday fanboy.

Old Post 04-14-13 15:24 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

schwerpunk said:
Although I will admit that long before I discovered this community, and with it ZDoom & Chocolate Doom, I was a Doomsday fanboy.

Unshakable Doomsday fanboy here, even after discovering a wealth of other source ports and "flavours" of Doom through Doomworld. And I don't even use it for the 3D model support and shit.

Old Post 04-14-13 16:37 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hawkwind

I'll just mention the pros/differences of both ports, from my perspective.

RISEN3D ...

Supports most software mapping "tricks".
Supports true 3D floors.
Excellent proprietary scripting for Risen3D maps.
Full Boom and near full MBF support.

DoomsDay/JDoom ...

Enhanced graphics effects like blended animations.

While on the subject, and I'm sure this has been mentioned before ... how does one remove the mouse latency in JDoom ?

Old Post 04-15-13 01:57 #
hawkwind is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Doomsday doesn't use the "J" names anymore. It's not jDoom or jHexen, it's just Doomsday with the Doom or Hexen plugins.

Old Post 04-15-13 10:45 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote