Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > Unusual Sprite Clipping Issue

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:28. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DoomF4nG4mer
Mini-Member

So I was playing a little bit around the wad Hell Revealed 2 on map09 when I came across a weird bug or issue with that long tower, I cant seem to see the top of the tower only the bottom half of it. I already set my Sprite Clipping to Always yet the problem is still present, Is there anyway to solve this?

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/...om201304211.png

Old Post 04-21-13 11:29 #
DoomF4nG4mer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kappes Buur
Forum Regular

There's nothing wrong with that.
The ceiling is 192 and the column is 8192 units tall. Therefore, there is nothing to see past 192 units.

If you want to see the floor of the column as it is coming down, then change the ceiling to 8192.

http://i.imgur.com/7OaCxwv.png

Old Post 04-22-13 03:57 #
Kappes Buur is offline Profile || Blog || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Kappes Buur said:
The ceiling is 192 and the column is 8192 units tall. Therefore, there is nothing to see past 192 units.

No, in this case you should be able to see "through" the sky. There was a thread about this recently. But looks like GZDoom doesn't support some variations of this trick.
Oh, and it has nothing to do with sprites of course. :) Sprites are used only for objects. (monsters, decorations, items, etc)

Old Post 04-22-13 11:52 #
Memfis is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Sprite clipping will not have any effect on things that aren't sprites...

OpenGL cuts the tower at that level because it corresponds to the height of the sector you are in. In software the tall tower is rendered because this setup exploits some loopholes in the renderer logic; but this is one hack that GZDoom does not detect and emulate.

It's not terribly important because if you do not look up (as you cannot in vanilla), then you do not see that it is cut off.

GLBoom+ does show the tower, but glitches a bit nonetheless as it shows you the inside, not the outside, of it past the ceiling limit:
http://i.imgur.com/MApQAep.png

Old Post 04-22-13 13:28 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
wesleyjohnson

The see-through-the-sky trick is only a side-effect when standing in the nearest sector to the tall tower. Anywhere outside of that nearest sector the player sees an upper texture of sky down to the lowest ceiling height between the player and the tower.

Old Post 04-23-13 16:23 #
wesleyjohnson is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomF4nG4mer
Mini-Member

Okay guys turns out that Kappes Buur's answer helped resolve the issue. I just had to go and edit the map in Doom Builder to do it but anyways thanks for the replies guys!

Last edited by DoomF4nG4mer on 04-24-13 at 09:15

Old Post 04-24-13 08:55 #
DoomF4nG4mer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote