Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > No one is joining Dengine

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:40. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
foufou74
Warming Up

I Just wanna ask why is there no one is playing Doomsday Engine
Because i would like to try it in MP Mode

Old Post 08-17-13 10:56 #
foufou74 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sgt dopey

Mainly because it is not as advanced as other source ports editing feature wise, (wasn't it boom incompatible? Or was that a different engine.) Though the graphical features are pretty neat

Old Post 08-17-13 11:05 #
sgt dopey is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doomhuntress
Forum Regular

it's basically the vanilla engine but with extra graphical fluff. it does have a editing format called DED, but i guess not many people would like to utilize it because of it not supporting anything higher than vanilla-limited mapping, and that other source ports has a much more extensive scripting system.

i actually really like Dengine though. the graphical fluff is really nice, and if it just had Boom compability, i wouldn't mind using it more.

Last edited by Doomhuntress on 08-17-13 at 15:46

Old Post 08-17-13 15:28 #
Doomhuntress is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
SavageCorona

Pretty sure everyone uses Zandronum to play online. I think there's some mods that let you use models and HD textures similar to Doomsday's if that's what you're looking for. I remember using Risen3D models with JDoom HD textures back when Skulltag was a thing.

'ERE'S THE BLOODY LINK TO ME TWITTERS

Old Post 08-17-13 23:31 #
SavageCorona is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
foufou74
Warming Up

Ok this is good
But i'll play anyway (I'm playing NOW !!)
So if anyone wanna join me i'll be thankfull

(Don't let me play alone as a stupid LOL)

Old Post 08-18-13 08:08 #
foufou74 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DaniJ

Actually, Doomsday is what some would refer to as "extreme" limit removing. Which is to say it supports maps larger than the DOOM/Hexen map format can even represent.

I think the reason not many people play Doomsday online is simply because there are other ports available which focus on this aspect exclusively. Consequently they offer many more player oriented features like new game modes.

To date multiplayer simply has not been a primary focus for us, despite the fact the port uses a client/server architecture, with player features like movement prediction and admin features like remote server administration. This situation will change in future as we are moving to a "unified networking" model where even a single player game has a local server.

Old Post 08-18-13 10:35 #
DaniJ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
XCOPY

Most newbies tend to know doom through Doomsday, they just doesn't show up to the community. The movement in online servers is nice (dunno where the servers are located nor the ping i was at, but i have a p bad connection). The client seems to predict the projectiles (I could dodge most of them like if i was playing offline) very well but i can't say the same about the monsters, they appear to teleport every once and then. I have to say that it is the most user friendly source-port I have ever used, since connecting to servers is a few clicks away and selecting mods is also simple, IMO. Years ago this was very unstable but now, i rarely see any weirdness in it (at least when playing IWADS) so I'm returning to give more preference to it for online play, etc.

There is a really nice mod called doom ascension which will make doom look awesome (based on the few images I have seen of it, kudos to Niuhaka and other modders involved in the project).

Old Post 08-20-13 14:26 #
XCOPY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DaniJ

Its great hear such positive feedback. While multiplayer has historically not been a focus for us things are definitely changing in that respect. As you found, though, the main issue with co-op at present is that the movement of monsters is not predicted and as such can be seen to warp on client-side. Deathmatch on the other hand is very playable :)

Our dedicated servers are virtualized and hosted with Amazon's EC2 "cloud computing" service. In effect there are a dozen or so Unix-based Doomsday servers running 24/7 which are automatically updated by our autobuilder whenever a new Doomsday build is ran (typically twice a week during the "progressive" phase of development). We administrate these remotely using the exact same tools we provide to users (e.g., the Shell and Doomsday's own internal rcon mechanisms).

Old Post 08-20-13 20:42 #
DaniJ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote