Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

Brewtal_Legend said:

It would be nice to have a few more things in there like toggling the crosshair, always run, etc.

DR has a crosshair?

The port is minimalistic so there is a minimum amount of options.

I'd like the graphics quality to have a higher setting, like Ultra, for higher res. Now that the wiggle fix is in, heh.

Brewtal_Legend said:

This is a rather nice vanilla style port with some very nice and very subtle additions.

I wasn't very clear on what the port was about as some others have pointed out, but gave it a try finally and just wanted to say that I found it very nice.

I like that it has gamepad support as well, only it would be nice if the controller support was more customizable. Such as being able to hange the button bindings and change the different joystick axis sensitivity.

Also, the options menu seems to be quite sparse. It would be nice to have a few more things in there like toggling the crosshair, always run, etc.

All in all, a very nice port.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm glad you like it!
The options menu is deliberately no different than the original Doom. To customise the gamepad and many other settings, edit the doomretro.cfg file directly. It's pretty easy to decipher, But for documentation see here: https://github.com/bradharding/doomretro/wiki/Changing-Settings

bradharding said:

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm glad you like it!
The options menu is deliberately no different than the original Doom. To customise the gamepad and many other settings, edit the doomretro.cfg file directly. It's pretty easy to decipher, But for documentation see here: https://github.com/bradharding/doomretro/wiki/Changing-Settings

Thanks for the info on configuring the gamepad. Couple questions about it though. Is there a way to assign the follow mode in the automap to a gamepad button? I didn't see one. Also, is there a way to configure the zoom in/out buttons for the automap while using the gamepad?

I prefer to use the left and right shoulder/bumper buttons for previous and next weapon on my gamepad. If I assigned them to this, would it conflict with the automap function of zooming?

I set the joystick slider all the way to the right, but it was still a bit too slow for my tastes. I take it that all the way to the right is the same as setting it to 128?

Is command line the only way to load level mods? It would be fun to go back through some of the older sets with this port. Any plans on making it possible through the opening menu?

I only checked it out a couple times so far, but don't recall if I noticed the answer to this last question. Any plans for subtle decal support? like blood splatter on the walls and scorch/bullet marks? Or would that be straying too far from your primary vision?

Brewtal_Legend said:

Is command line the only way to load level mods? It would be fun to go back through some of the older sets with this port. Any plans on making it possible through the opening menu?

If you're familiar with ZDoom Launcher, you can use it. Very comfy.

I think there's a possible bug regarding controllers. Sometimes when I play the rumble just stops. I've checked in the Options menu and sometimes the Gamepad Sensitivity setting has changed to Mouse Sensitivity. Not always, just sometimes... it seems to be random. Also, I just loaded up DR (1.6) just to confirm before posting and there was no rumble from the outset...

I use a Logitech F710 so I know it can be a little flaky with regards to the rumble but I thought I should mention it.

PS: Is there a way to set the turning back to the way it was in previous builds. It took me ages getting used to it but now I kinda miss the old behaviour (never satisfied, eh?!). :)

PPS: Just a query; Can I ask why the glowing eyes didn't make the cut? Was it a technical thing or just an aesthetic choice?

For your sanity brad, don't bother reading the crap the users over at 4chan have to say, it's usually to get a rise out of you and to annoy you most of the time, despite the occasional honest criticism. Overlook the inflammatory posts and look for actual feedback, even if rough.

You should (not) see what they're saying about Graf Zahl about the GPU requirements of gzdoom 2.x

Brad, you have a damn fine source port if I say so, myself. I enjoy using it for old school Dooming, and it has even taken some play time away from Eternity Engine on my laptop. Stick to your guns and remain true to your vision. Don't change your source port and don't make it more like any other popular source ports just because the fan boys demand to see X feature from Y source port in it. One of the things that I love the most about Doomsday is that the author(s) have resisted the calls of the fan boys and have instead chosen to continue to follow their own vision. Stay the course with Doom Retro, and know that there are a lot of people who support your vision and stand with you on it.

scroton said:

My post wasn't inter-forum drama. It had nothing to do with any other forum, and was squarely focused on Doom Retro and how it is presented by it's creators alongside solicitations for donations. It also pointed out how this differs from pretty much every single other Doom source port.

For reference, I've had donations enabled on Sourceforge for years on the account that owns the chocolate-doom project. Chocolate Doom isn't on Sourceforge any more but I certainly had a couple of donations from people through there. Although I've never gone out of my way to advertise it, Brad certainly isn't the first.

There are also a bunch of Android/iOS source ports that require you to pay to install. That's far more "egregious" than a completely voluntary donation.

If he wants to get paid for Doom Retro, all the more power to him. If you don't like it, don't make a donation.

Brewtal_Legend said:

Thanks for the info on configuring the gamepad. Couple questions about it though. Is there a way to assign the follow mode in the automap to a gamepad button? I didn't see one. Also, is there a way to configure the zoom in/out buttons for the automap while using the gamepad?

I prefer to use the left and right shoulder/bumper buttons for previous and next weapon on my gamepad. If I assigned them to this, would it conflict with the automap function of zooming?

I set the joystick slider all the way to the right, but it was still a bit too slow for my tastes. I take it that all the way to the right is the same as setting it to 128?

I only checked it out a couple times so far, but don't recall if I noticed the answer to this last question. Any plans for subtle decal support? like blood splatter on the walls and scorch/bullet marks? Or would that be straying too far from your primary vision?

At this stage there's no way to assign follow mode to a gamepad control, but I might look into it, also allowing further customization for all possible controls: keyboard, mouse and gamepad.

I believe using the left and right shoulder buttons for next/prev weapon should be fine in the automap. I've accommodated for this conflict.

I'll look into the gamepad sensitivity for you.

As for loading mods, you can load PWADs through the launcher. See https://github.com/bradharding/doomretro/wiki/Starting-a-Game.

Wall decals are a consideration, but are way down the track.

Average said:

I think there's a possible bug regarding controllers. Sometimes when I play the rumble just stops. I've checked in the Options menu and sometimes the Gamepad Sensitivity setting has changed to Mouse Sensitivity. Not always, just sometimes... it seems to be random. Also, I just loaded up DR (1.6) just to confirm before posting and there was no rumble from the outset...

I use a Logitech F710 so I know it can be a little flaky with regards to the rumble but I thought I should mention it.

PS: Is there a way to set the turning back to the way it was in previous builds. It took me ages getting used to it but now I kinda miss the old behaviour (never satisfied, eh?!). :)

PPS: Just a query; Can I ask why the glowing eyes didn't make the cut? Was it a technical thing or just an aesthetic choice?

Thanks for this. I'll look into the rumble feature today.

With the glowing eyes feature: I guess it was both a technical and aesthetic choice. Technical choice in the sense that when drawing each column, I was picking out the colors to draw fullbright. Imps, for instance, I'd pick the shades of red necessary from their eyes, but those same reds were used in some frames in their mouth, and the blood of their corpses, so accommodating for that became too much. The obvious alternative is to create a mask for each sprite, but is ugly and way too much work. On the other hand, as an aesthetic choice, during gameplay, I found it was just way too distracting, and when the imps are far enough away from you such that the pixels for their eyes aren't drawn, they would flicker on and off as they move.

Glaice said:

For your sanity brad, don't bother reading the crap the users over at 4chan have to say, it's usually to get a rise out of you and to annoy you most of the time, despite the occasional honest criticism. Overlook the inflammatory posts and look for actual feedback, even if rough.

Sandstormer said:

Brad, you have a damn fine source port if I say so, myself. I enjoy using it for old school Dooming, and it has even taken some play time away from Eternity Engine on my laptop. Stick to your guns and remain true to your vision. Don't change your source port and don't make it more like any other popular source ports just because the fan boys demand to see X feature from Y source port in it. One of the things that I love the most about Doomsday is that the author(s) have resisted the calls of the fan boys and have instead chosen to continue to follow their own vision. Stay the course with Doom Retro, and know that there are a lot of people who support your vision and stand with you on it.

Thanks guys. I'm over it. More than happy to listen to constructive criticism, and I tried sifting their comments to find something of value, but: meh.

Glaice said:

No inter-forum drama, please.

bradharding said:

No. No crosshair. But it does in the future it'll be a crispy one. ;)

\o/ Wee!

What's the naming for assigning the left/right shoulder buttons binding on a gamepad? I didn't see it in the config file or the link you posted. Is it just "leftshouder" for example? (sorry, havn'e gotten to try for myself yet).

Just to say again, I'm rather enjoying this port. I edited my original post on the previous page with a few more comments btw. :P

reminds me a bit of my new favorite unsung quake engine: http://super8.qbism.com/

A crosshair does sound nice. The more I think of it tthough, it doesn't make that much sense to have one when there is no mouselook available. Not that I'm saying that there should be mouselook mind you.

Anyway, thanks again. Very nice port. Now I'm gonna go play some Eternal Doom with it. :P

p.s. Was trying to play eternal doom with a music wad, but unfortunately, it didn't seem to work. The game would still play, but with no music. In particular I was trying to play with the doom64 soundtrack wad, consolde doom music wad, and the psx doom soundtrack wad. It worked with the sound fx wad from psx doom. Bu I just couldn't get the music wads to work right.

Brewtal_Legend said:

What's the naming for assigning the left/right shoulder buttons binding on a gamepad? I didn't see it in the config file or the link you posted. Is it just "leftshouder" for example? (sorry, havn'e gotten to try for myself yet).

Just to say again, I'm rather enjoying this port. I edited my original post on the previous page with a few more comments btw. :P

reminds me a bit of my new favorite unsung quake engine: http://super8.qbism.com/

A crosshair does sound nice. The more I think of it tthough, it doesn't make that much sense to have one when there is no mouselook available. Not that I'm saying that there should be mouselook mind you.

Anyway, thanks again. Very nice port. Now I'm gonna go play some Eternal Doom with it. :P

p.s. Was trying to play eternal doom with a music wad, but unfortunately, it didn't seem to work. The game would still play, but with no music. In particular I was trying to play with the doom64 soundtrack wad, consolde doom music wad, and the psx doom soundtrack wad. It worked with the sound fx wad from psx doom. Bu I just couldn't get the music wads to work right.

Yes, it's "leftshouder" and "rightshoulder". I'll update the wiki soon to indicate all the possible values.

Never heard of that quake source port before! Looks interesting! I'll have to check it out...

I've sort of held out on implementing a crosshair for that same reason: really no need when there's no mouselook. And that all the weapons are horizontally centered on the screen. Inspired by Fabian's Crispy Doom, I did experiment with mouselook, but decided it's not the direction I want to head.

Do you have links to the music wads you were using? I'm guessing they're not vanilla compatible.

Thanks.

bradharding said:

They are?? This was one of the first "fixes" I implemented, and having just double-checked: they still are centered! :)

Sorry, I was speaking in general terms and forgot you had fixed that issue. :)

Hi all. I've uploaded another small point release that fixes a few minor issues. Visit doomretro.com to download, and here's the release notes:

• A bug, inadvertantly introduced in v1.6.1, has been fixed whereby the wrong colored keys would appear in the HUD.
  • The default value for the saturation setting in doomretro.cfg has been changed from 0.75 to 1.00.
  • The gamma setting in doomretro.cfg has been renamed to gammacorrectionlevel, and the alias off can now be used when it is set to 0.
  • Blood splats will now appear in maps from PWADs that use a DeHackEd file or lump.
  • The clipping of the bottom of things will now be updated when the sector they’re in changes to/from liquid.
  • Spectres now have slightly lighter shadows than the other monsters, with fuzzy edges.
  • Minor changes have been made to the values of settings in doomretro.cfg. The true/false aliases now appear as on/off, and the none alias now appears as a hyphen. Aliases yes/no may also be used.
  • Setting the mouse sensitivity to 0 will no longer disable the gamepad as well.
  • The range of gamepad sensitivity has been increased.
  • Several minor changes have been made to the properties of pickups in HacX: Twitch ‘n Kill.
  • The , and . keys can now also be used to strafe left and right, as they could in Vanilla DOOM. They are changed using the key_strafeleft2 and key_straferight2 settings in doomretro.cfg.
  • Shifted characters are now allowed when entering savegame descriptions. (In Vanilla DOOM, pressing SHIFT+/, for example, would still display “/” rather than “?”.)

just tried 1.6.2. The options doesn't seem to automatically switch to gamepad sensitivity instead of mouse sensitivity anymore in the option menu when it's hooked up. Using a logitech f310 in xinput mode. It reads the gamepad and plays with it as normal. Just can't adjust the sensitivity in the games option menu which would be ideal to tweak the sensitivity. (Edit: this issue only seems to be happening when playing back to saturn x)

What is the new range for the gamepad so I can try to adjust it in the cfg file? I tried setting it higher than 128, but it just defaulted back to 16. I tried 138, but it looks like the value still maxes out at 128.

Also, is there a way to remove the hud from the automap?

Can you make it so that caps lock gets turned off when exiting doomretro while using the always run option?

Edit:
also happened to notice when playing back to saturn x ep1, on level 2, there was a section shortly after starting where a room full of imps and chaingunners went down, and they seemed to be sliding back and forth on the floor for no particular reason. They did all go down close to each other in a group, but it was rather odd/comical that their corpses kept sliding kinda in place next to each other.

Brewtal_Legend said:

just tried 1.6.2. The options doesn't seem to automatically switch to gamepad sensitivity instead of mouse sensitivity anymore in the option menu when it's hooked up. Using a logitech f310 in xinput mode. It reads the gamepad and plays with it as normal. Just can't adjust the sensitivity in the games option menu which would be ideal to tweak the sensitivity. (Edit: this issue only seems to be happening when playing back to saturn x)

When custom menu graphics are used, you can't adjust the gamepad sensitivity because there's no "gamepad sensitivity" graphic to display.

What is the new range for the gamepad so I can try to adjust it in the cfg file? I tried setting it higher than 128, but it just defaulted back to 16. I tried 138, but it looks like the value still maxes out at 128.

The range of values is still 0 to 128, but they should all provide higher sensitivity.

Also, is there a way to remove the hud from the automap?

When in widescreen mode, there's no status bar when in the automap.

Can you make it so that caps lock gets turned off when exiting doomretro while using the always run option?

That should already happen. I just double-checked myself, and it works fine. If capslock is on when you go to quit, it should turn off. Can you confirm this again please?

also happened to notice when playing back to saturn x ep1, on level 2, there was a section shortly after starting where a room full of imps and chaingunners went down, and they seemed to be sliding back and forth on the floor for no particular reason. They did all go down close to each other in a group, but it was rather odd/comical that their corpses kept sliding kinda in place next to each other.

Yeah, I've noticed this too in other places. It's due to the "torque" that's applied to objects, taken from some BOOM code, that I implemented a few versions back. It looks weird as f, but as of yet, I haven't been able to find a solution. I'll try looking into it again. Thanks.

Just double checked the caps lock deal. I (or my cat) must have must have accidentally hit it myself without noticing last couple times after exiting the program. Sorry about that. It does indeed work correctly and shuts off after exiting.

Couldn't get that much of a difference out of the gamepad sensitivity. Anyway to up it a little bit more? Also, it doesn't look like it, but is there a way to adjust the joystick thresholds?

I am still having issues with the hud though. I prefer to turn off the traditional hud. But even when I set it to off in the config file, it keeps defaulting as on. And it pops up when I use the automap and obstructs the view a bit. Even if I set widescreen to on. I don't notice any difference in widescreen either btw.

Brewtal_Legend said:

Just double checked the caps lock deal. I (or my cat) must have must have accidentally hit it myself without noticing last couple times after exiting the program. Sorry about that. It does indeed work correctly and shuts off after exiting.

Couldn't get that much of a difference out of the gamepad sensitivity. Anyway to up it a little bit more? Also, it doesn't look like it, but is there a way to adjust the joystick thresholds?

I am still having issues with the hud though. I prefer to turn off the traditional hud. But even when I set it to off in the config file, it keeps defaulting as on. And it pops up when I use the automap and obstructs the view a bit. Even if I set widescreen to on. I don't notice any difference in widescreen either btw.

Lol. That's why I'm a dog person!

I'll work on the gamepad sensitivity some more. And there's no acceleration like there is for the mouse, so I'll look into that too. I'll take another look at the XBLA version of DOOM to see how that feels...

The "hud" setting in doomretro.cfg shouldn't be edited. It just saves whether the hud is displayed in widescreen mode or not, adjustable with the +/- keys in-game. If your monitor isn't widescreen though, the standard player's view with no status bar is displayed, and in that case the status bar is visible in the automap. I'll look into this as well. BTW what resolution is your monitor running at?

@dancing corpses...

bradharding said:

Yeah, I've noticed this too in other places. It's due to the "torque" that's applied to objects, taken from some BOOM code, that I implemented a few versions back. It looks weird as f, but as of yet, I haven't been able to find a solution. I'll try looking into it again. Thanks.

Yeah, I actually implemented a counter that increments each time a corpse changes directions (yikes). If it does more than 3 times, or something, I just stop the corpse. It really sucks. But, all of Lee Killough's vars that control his "torque" seem to be named backwards to me, and I just can't get my head around what it's supposed to be doing.

But, you know what I hate even more? An idiot corpse hanging off the edge by its toes. So, I guess, it is what it is. Surely he saw that effect, right? It's pretty common.

kb1 said:

@dancing corpses...
Yeah, I actually implemented a counter that increments each time a corpse changes directions (yikes). If it does more than 3 times, or something, I just stop the corpse. It really sucks. But, all of Lee Killough's vars that control his "torque" seem to be named backwards to me, and I just can't get my head around what it's supposed to be doing.

Not ideal, but I think it's something I might do in DR as well. Could you share how you've implemented it?
Lee's code hasn't been the easiest to decipher but there's some great stuff in there. What's interesting is in two places in his comments he mentions that "oscillations are prevented", which they're not.