Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

Would it be possible that the sourceport would somehow and reliably detect (I mean predict) if a just-fired horizontally autoaimed projectile would hit a close wall before hitting any damagable thing, and only it that case abort the autoaim and just fire straight? Otherwise I'm totally with Sodaholic.

I've been having some issues with this port.
The sound effects are always ridiculously quiet. Even when I lower the music as far as possible, and crank up the SFX to max volume, it's nearly impossible to hear.
My only other issue is that when I enable V-Sync, as without it, I get massive screen tearing, my mouse movement becomes incredibly delayed, to the point of being nearly unplayable at some points.
Any help?

The music slider isn't working on vista and newer systems, that can't easily be fixed on DR's side. I fixed it by installing the timidity midi driver and lowering the volume through timidity's cfg file. This driver also solved other midi problems I had and improved quality. You can also then use soundfonts, like the sc-55 one for authenticity.

I think the vsync problem is improved on the wip versions, wait for the next release, keep vsync off in the meantime.

My desktop got busted and I'm waiting for a new one. Meanwhile I tried to compile on VS 2010 on my Vista laptop but cannot, I'm encountering compiler errors, whereas a couple of months ago I was compiling just fine. Do you care about this? Should I post the errors?

Why don't you release beta version here at the forum, Brad?

VGA said:

My desktop got busted and I'm waiting for a new one. Meanwhile I tried to compile on VS 2010 on my Vista laptop but cannot, I'm encountering compiler errors, whereas a couple of months ago I was compiling just fine. Do you care about this? Should I post the errors?

Why don't you release beta version here at the forum, Brad?

Of course I care! Please, raise an issue in Github with the errors and I'll take a look. :) As for a beta version, I'm not too far away from release anyway, but I'll have a link to a binary for you shortly.

Annoying question but I thought I'd ask anyway: Is Boom support still happening in DR 1.8? I really want to play through Sunlust using DR! :)

Average said:

Annoying question but I thought I'd ask anyway: Is Boom support still happening in DR 1.8? I really want to play through Sunlust using DR! :)

Yeah, Brad is working on it.

Hi all! I'm happy to finally announce the release of v1.8 of DOOM RETRO! This is a major release with a significant amount of changes, the most important of which being BOOM compatibility. Please visit doomretro.com to check out the release notes and download. Thank you to everyone for your continued support!

Is it "full" Boom compat, or just compat with a certain subset of features? The release notes aren't really clear.

Linguica said:

Is it "full" Boom compat, or just compat with a certain subset of features? The release notes aren't really clear.

Unless I've missed something, it is full Boom compatibility. BEX support was implemented in an earlier version, so that's why it isn't mentioned in the release notes.

Are 24-bit colormaps something you'd be willing to consider* as an option? Maes has had them in Mocha Doom for a while.

Personally, I think it'd be best if the RGB values in such a colormap were quantized to 18-bit, so it's still VGA colors, just more than 256 of them.

*on principal, disregarding feasibility

EDIT: Nevermind, the presence of translucency pretty much kills feasibility with a hi-color colormap based approach.

I have an impression that list of new things is longer this time. Anyway, I like the improvement of objects bobbing in water. It doesn’t feel like a single layer anymore. It’s wavy.

Assuming all new animated flats to be liquids = ouch.

Also, warping to MAP28 showed that you have one of the stock glowing rocks swirling too.

Hi, thank you for making Doom Retro Boom-compatible. For the next version, I would like to see Doom Retro use something similar to DECORATE from Zdoom. I also want to know how to actually get Doom Retro to use the timidity cfg file and know if Doom Retro can use soundfonts too. See my question on the latest post under source ports.

I'm on Windows 8.1 and I installed VirtualMIDISynth:
http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

Then to make it the default midi device I had to change this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ActiveMovie\devenum 64-bit\{4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B}\Default MidiOut Device
Info here:
http://pcaudiohelp.com/how-to-change-the-default-midi-device-in-vista-and-window-7/

Then I got Patch93's SC-55 soundfont 1.9 from here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/59vbyllqgc2n6oy/AACrYfUlaZt4itdzCvQArXBTa?dl=0

and I unpacked it into a sf2 (using that SFPack utility in that dropbox folder) and added it to VirtualMIDISynth.

And NOW Doom Retro has proper music and I can adjust the volume through VirtualMIDISynth's mixer (ctrl-alt-m). Normally you cannot adjust the music volume AT ALL on Vista and higher.

Da Werecat said:

Assuming all new animated flats to be liquids = ouch.

Also, warping to MAP28 showed that you have one of the stock glowing rocks swirling too.

Ouch, indeed. I'm investigating better options in handling this new effect. As for the glowing rocks in MAP28: DR doesn't apply the effect to animation starting with texture SLIME05, when it should be SLIME09. Typo fixed, thanks.

JXC said:

Thanks for the software, but I'm using Windows 10

Hi. Even still, give VGA's suggestion a try. Although I've just recently upgraded to Win10 myself and haven't looked into it. Also, just responded to your post on the Doom Retro website.

Hey Brad, would you like to add DECORATE for Doom Retro or something similar? Also, I have trouble having Doom Retro play the Gus patches. I have installed Timidity and had Doom Retro reach timidity,cfg through its freepats folder, but I still hear regular MIDI when I run the port. Can you help me on this?

JXC said:

Hey Brad, would you like to add DECORATE for Doom Retro or something similar? Also, I have trouble having Doom Retro play the Gus patches. I have installed Timidity and had Doom Retro reach timidity,cfg through its freepats folder, but I still hear regular MIDI when I run the port. Can you help me on this?

Have you tried VGA's suggestion above (even though you have Windows 10)? Also, check my response from a few minutes ago here.

Yes, VGA's suggestion worked, but I'm talking about GUS patches.

I figured it out: You have to put the GUS patches and the .cfg files in the Doom Retro folder since the SDL files are in the same folder.

Heh, ok, but the songs have been written on a SC-55 keyboard and that's how they sound best/authentic.

With GUS patches they sound weird :-D

Hi, I am having trouble testing my new Doom maps on Doom Retro. When I experimented with sky transfer, the map was playable, but something was wrong with the sky. When I tried more maps, Doom Retro crashes, and it now always crashes when I load one of my own maps. In the maps where I changed the direction of dead bodies which are supposed to be Doom 2 monsters in Ultimate Doom, it worked on PrBoom and Zdoom, but Doom Retro wouldn't accept it. Yes, I demonstrated that you can make Doom 2 monsters appear in Ultimate Doom by replacing anything that appears in Doom (used Spectre and dead monsters, only works in Boom-compatible ports). I have used Doom Builder 2, I have used Slade3, but it's stil not working. Can you please help me?

I am having trouble with Doom Retro running the maps I made. They are Boom compatible. I tried Doom Builder and Slade.

JXC said:

I am having trouble with Doom Retro running the maps I made. They are Boom compatible. I tried Doom Builder and Slade.

Dude, don't make duplicate threads. Anyway, post a map that isn't working in Doom Retro and is working in prboom+

JXC said:

No map I make works in Doom Retro, not even a vanilla map.

What do you mean "it doesn't work"? What is actually the error? Also, post a map that isn't working.