Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > GUS in Chocolate Doom

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:19. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Megamur

I've heard that Chocolate Doom now has pseudo-emulation of Gravis UltraSound. That's great! ...Except I have no idea how to make it work. There doesn't seem to be any documentation for it yet.

I go to the sound configuration, and change the music to "GUS (emulated)," but the music just sounds like regular MIDI when I start up the game. There's a "GUS patch path" bar, but what exactly is a GUS patch and where can I get one? Do I need one to make the GUS emulation work?

Help would be appreciated. Thank you!

(I realize there's already a Chocolate Doom thread, but I assume that's more for development/bug reports than people needing technical assistance.)

Old Post 12-26-13 03:54 #
Megamur is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Haven't tried it myself yet but it looks like you'll need to be running Timidity as well. The "GUS patch path" is probably wherever you happen to have installed this patch set.

Old Post 12-26-13 04:53 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Megamur

Yes, that did it. Just have to dump all the files contained in that ZIP file into a folder, then type in the path to the folder in the GUS patch path bar.

Thank you!

Old Post 12-26-13 05:09 #
Megamur is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

Though it's not written about Chocolate, this page features some useful info about GUS and Doom. I suppose the Doom Wiki will need a page too, like there is one for OPL, though I'd rather wait for it to become officially supported in Chocolate Doom (or another port) first.

And hey, if you're using GUS emulation now, try this map. :)

Old Post 12-26-13 09:52 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chungy

It is officially supported already.

Old Post 12-26-13 11:31 #
chungy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

The problem, though, there's no documentation to which one could link. Because of that, I don't know whether Fraggle intends to push the "pseudo-emulation" further into full emulation or not, so I don't know if it's finished.

Old Post 12-26-13 12:33 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

The pseudo-emulation is kind of a hack (it's just an autogenerated Timidity config) though it seems to work quite well. It definitely needs to be better documented though.

Probably the best thing to do is change README.OPL into README.music and put the GUS instructions in there.

Old Post 12-26-13 13:50 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote