Severed bunny head
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > Vavoom down?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:21. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
doomgargoyle

Hi, anyone know anything about Vavoom's site? I visited it today and got this:

http://vavoom-engine.com/

The account is suspended. All the wiki information, downloads, code, boards, are they still available? Is this project dead?

Old Post 12-30-13 20:01 #
doomgargoyle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Vavoom had been seemingly dead for a while. Last time I checked up on its forum/wiki activity, spambots were the only active residents. I haven't seen Janis Legzdins post anywhere in a long while -- which may be while the domain expired, if he lost interest and stopped renewing it. Last commit on the Vavoom SVN was in 2011, and by Firebrand -- Janis's last commit was much older.

Old Post 12-30-13 20:59 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Csonicgo

That sucks, the version with the software renderer is one of the most unique doom ports I've seen.

Old Post 12-30-13 21:35 #
Csonicgo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
doomgargoyle

But all the information on the boards, and the code/binaries they cannot be lost like that.

Old Post 12-30-13 23:33 #
doomgargoyle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

It's not entirely lost:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/...oom-engine.com/

Old Post 12-30-13 23:56 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Graf Zahl

doomgargoyle said:
But all the information on the boards, and the code/binaries they cannot be lost like that.

Why not? If nobody pays for the space and nobody cares about preserving it, it'll disappear eventually. You may have some chance to find it on some archiving site though.

The source is not a problem. The SVN repository is still alive because it's hosted elsewhere.

Old Post 12-30-13 23:56 #
Graf Zahl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gunrock
Warming Up

Its a real shame that all that hard work that's been put into Vavoom just die like that. So much more potential left....

Old Post 02-10-14 01:54 #
Gunrock is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Giomancer
Mini-Member

*sighs*

I, too, noticed this some months ago. I should point out that the software renderer was removed in 1.33, and that 1.33 had zero bugfixes after its release; the best way to go is to grab version 1.32.

Old Post 03-20-14 04:02 #
Giomancer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
XCOPY

Vavoom site is back. Wiki has been attacked by spammers, sadly, but there are a few useful pages and that info should be stored somewhere else.

Old Post 03-20-14 04:39 #
XCOPY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost

I was just about to mention that, someone must have found some money to throw at their webhost. Looks like the wiki's main page has been hijacked 5 times since last April, though that's nothing an admin can't revert, might take some time to cleanse the rest of the wiki. Fortunately, the wiki's Tutorials and Projects sections can be directly accessed from the main site.

Old Post 03-20-14 05:01 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
doomgargoyle

Glad to see its back, but is there going to be more development into Vavoom? 1.33 crashes when playing Strife randomly.

Old Post 03-20-14 05:18 #
Mike.Reiner

Had to dig a bit but here's the URL to the 1.32 download:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vav...=iweb&download=

Very interesting software renderer indeed.

Old Post 03-20-14 05:21 #
Mike.Reiner is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote