Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > Fragkit - not worth to care about

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:44. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
XCOPY

Deleted because apparently this is a bad idea. I definitely don't want a whole community jumping on my back.

Last edited by XCOPY on 02-28-14 at 05:38

Old Post 01-18-14 04:21 #
XCOPY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Zed
Forum Regular

XCOPY said:

The main reason for the existance of this package, is to minimalize this whole source-port fanatism that, in my eyes, hurts the Doom community, also it makes things easier for newbies and possibly veterans. I added Freedoom's IWADs in the package so newcomers wouldn't simply be getting an empty package with an engine only and hopefully that will rise Freedoom's interest, attracting some contributors. I plan to add other free IWADs in this package, like HACX, Megaman 8-bit Deathmatch, Action Doom 2 and others. Enough talk:

>> DOWNLOAD

Let me see if I understand this correctly. You are distributing some Doom utilities (focusing mainly on multiplayer), like some sort of shovelware compilation? Also, I don't understand how can this stop "source-port fanatism", specially given that you limit the compilation to just three ports.*

On a positive criticism, I like the fact that you're including Freedoom. It seriously needs more exposure.

Also, why not include some level/wad editors?

EDIT: * Now that I think about it, since you see to be focusing on multiplayer, it seems logical.

Old Post 01-18-14 05:43 #
Zed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
XCOPY

Deleted because apparently this is a bad idea. I definitely don't want a whole community jumping on my back.

Last edited by XCOPY on 02-28-14 at 05:33

Old Post 01-18-14 07:03 #
XCOPY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

The name "IDTech" is kinda taken. By id themselves, no less. :P

Old Post 01-18-14 07:37 #
Xaser is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
XCOPY

Last edited by XCOPY on 02-28-14 at 05:35

Old Post 01-18-14 08:31 #
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

XCOPY said:
I'm concerned about Doom Builder 2's variants, since it requires .net framework 3.5 to run on a XP machine, and that's some huge download.
It's around 250MB, which is large but hardly huge.

Old Post 01-18-14 10:15 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez

250 MB is huge when the rest of the package is less than 1/10th of that.

Old Post 01-18-14 10:52 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
GreyGhost

So it is, and Win7 users are bound to complain about the bloat.

Old Post 01-18-14 12:22 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
purist

How about naming it Fragkit since it's a kit to facilitate multiplayer?

Old Post 01-18-14 12:58 #
purist is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Jayextee
Darth Jrrr

Naming it 'IDTech' is one hell of a misnomer -- sounds like it should be an all-in-one pack to get people started in making content with the engine. Worse still, the lack of a number to designate it as idTech 1 (which is, the Doom engine) could confuse people who just wandered in and downloaded it, possibly expecting the Rage engine or something.

Echoing Purist's suggestion.

Old Post 01-18-14 13:17 #
Jayextee is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
XCOPY

Last edited by XCOPY on 02-28-14 at 05:35

Old Post 01-18-14 16:33 #
Gez

Nope. They weren't numbered back then. It's while building hype for Rage that they used numbers, saying it would use the id Tech 5 engine. Retroactively, they applied id Tech 4 to the Doom 3 engine, id Tech 3 to the Quake III engine, and id Tech 2 to the Quake II engine.

There is no official "id Tech 1", but by their logic, it'd be the Quake engine. Doom engine is id Tech 0, and Wolf 3D engine is id Tech -1. :p

Old Post 01-18-14 20:48 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Quasar

Gez said:
Nope. They weren't numbered back then. It's while building hype for Rage that they used numbers, saying it would use the id Tech 5 engine. Retroactively, they applied id Tech 4 to the Doom 3 engine, id Tech 3 to the Quake III engine, and id Tech 2 to the Quake II engine.

There is no official "id Tech 1", but by their logic, it'd be the Quake engine. Doom engine is id Tech 0, and Wolf 3D engine is id Tech -1. :p

There was a page on id's website which referred to Quake engine licensees in the list of id Tech 2, indicating that the Quake 2 engine is NOT considered an id Tech iteration, because it is only an incremental improvement and architectural evolution of the same technology base. In particular, Hexen II was referred to as an id Tech 2 game, and is as Quake-1-engine as you can get.

Doom is id Tech 1.

Old Post 01-20-14 06:43 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Blzut3

Quasar said:
There was a page on id's website which referred to Quake engine licensees in the list of id Tech 2

To provide a link. I suppose the last line should be most convincing:

then download the packages from the QUAKE and QUAKE II sections of our technology downloads page.

Old Post 01-20-14 07:06 #
Blzut3 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
wesleyjohnson

250 MB is a large download even for a trip to the library to use their faster connection (150 KB /sec). And it duplicates programs that I already have.

Old Post 01-21-14 19:44 #
wesleyjohnson is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote