Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > Could you recommend me a source port for HeXen?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:47. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Patrol1985

I've decided to play Heretic and Hexen as I had never finished either of them.

I decided to use Chocolate Heretic and Chocolate HeXen as my ports of choice as I want the games to be as close to the original experience as possible.

Today I beat Heretic, but I can't say the game ran flawlessly. On 2 or 3 occasions I enountered bugs with vertically moving platforms (they would stop midway through, when they had to go fully upwards, etc.). Still, I beat the game so let's forget about Heretic.

In HeXen, everything went flawlessly until I reached "The Guardian of Ice" the second time. Now I seem to be unable to save the game. When I choose a slot, type the name and press enter, the game crashes back to the operating system. Needless to say that being unable to save the game is a rather serious bug.

Therefore I'd like to ask - has any of you encountered this bug and know how to fix it? If not, can you recommend me another HeXen port, preferably one which wouldn't differ from vanilla in terms of gameplay or looks?

Old Post 02-23-14 10:55 #
Patrol1985 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

There aren't that many Hexen ports out there. There's DelphiDoom, Doomsday, ZDoom & co, and ChocoHexen. The rest is dead ports no longer maintained.

Given that most of the gameplay changes in ZDoom came from replacing Doom code with Hexen code, the Hexen gameplay isn't much different from vanilla Hexen. There's a lot less bugs and crashes, though.

Old Post 02-23-14 11:14 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Patrol1985

I will give ZDoom a shot. Thanks for the quick reply!

Old Post 02-23-14 11:43 #
Patrol1985 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Patrol1985 said:
In HeXen, everything went flawlessly until I reached "The Guardian of Ice" the second time. Now I seem to be unable to save the game. When I choose a slot, type the name and press enter, the game crashes back to the operating system. Needless to say that being unable to save the game is a rather serious bug.
You're right - it is. Chocolate Hexen is fairly new (had its first release in December); it would be nice if you could go to the trouble of filing a bug report describing how to reproduce the problem. Switching to another port might fix things for you but it doesn't fix the problem for everyone else using Chocolate Hexen.

Old Post 02-26-14 16:22 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Patrol1985

fraggle said:
You're right - it is. Chocolate Hexen is fairly new (had its first release in December); it would be nice if you could go to the trouble of filing a bug report describing how to reproduce the problem. Switching to another port might fix things for you but it doesn't fix the problem for everyone else using Chocolate Hexen.

Hey! Thanks for the link, I filed a report, but unfortunately I'm unable to give much detail. I don't recall doing anything specific that might have caused the bug. The option worked and then it just stopped.

I wasn't aware that Chocolate Hexen is such a new release either :o

Old Post 03-02-14 11:20 #
Da Werecat

The official release, anyway.

It's been around for quite some time as a part of the Raven and V2 development branches. I played Deathkings and Heretic in early 2010 using Raven branch, it worked pretty good even back then. Though I probably just got lucky.

Old Post 03-02-14 12:39 #
Da Werecat is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote