Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > Help! Need a good source port.

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:36. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
babo
Warming Up

Hey, up until now I've been using chocolate doom which is amazing. The one thing is that it doesn't let you use autorun-or something like using caps lock to switch between run/walk default (would have been great). My pinky is tired of staying on the fuking shift key.

I tried Zdaemon but the HUD is truly garbage.

Anyone know something like chocolate doom that is similar to the original game, but can let you do something like switch auto run? Thanks!

Old Post 03-08-14 21:00 #
babo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shadow Hog
Forum Regular

Pr-Boom+, maybe? I mean, it's Boom, so it adds some stuff in, but it plays pretty close to vanilla.

Old Post 03-08-14 21:18 #
Shadow Hog is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Chocolate Doom probably supports the vanilla hack that enables autorun. (setting joybspeed to 31 in the config) If not then surely there should be some other way to enable it.

babo said:
I tried Zdaemon but the HUD is truly garbage.

How so? To me it looks just like the vanilla one. (I assume you mean the status bar, which is the correct name for that thing where you see your ammo, health, etc)

Old Post 03-08-14 21:27 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

There's an autorun option in the setup tool.

http://i.imgur.com/8pyCAPd.png

Old Post 03-08-14 21:33 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
babo
Warming Up

fraggle said:
There's an autorun option in the setup tool.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/8pyCAPd.png[/ig]

Thanks, but the problem is then, you cannot walk at all. You'd think using shift would switch you to walking, but with that option you can't stop running!

Memfis said:
Chocolate Doom probably supports the vanilla hack that enables autorun. (setting joybspeed to 31 in the config) If not then surely there should be some other way to enable it.

How so? To me it looks just like the vanilla one. (I assume you mean the status bar, which is the correct name for that thing where you see your ammo, health, etc)

I guess the status bar then, it's awful. First the face is completely gone (useful), the health and ammo statuses are shrunken and useless, and it doesn't even show the keys you have!

Shadow Hog said:
Pr-Boom+, maybe? I mean, it's Boom, so it adds some stuff in, but it plays pretty close to vanilla.

ok I tried that and it's pretty good, thanks. One thing, maybe I'm being anal, but the music is different for some reason. It's the same songs but "remastered" or something, but I guess i will use this port for now.

thanks for the responses everyone

Old Post 03-09-14 05:46 #
babo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sqrrt121
Mini-Member

The only source ports I use are Zdaemon, Zandronum, Zdoom and Skulltag with IDE to make it easier to use. Zdoom supports the auto run too.

Old Post 03-09-14 07:10 #
Sqrrt121 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shadow Hog
Forum Regular

babo said:
I guess the status bar then, it's awful. First the face is completely gone (useful), the health and ammo statuses are shrunken and useless, and it doesn't even show the keys you have!
It sounds like you're seeing the fullscreen HUD. Shrink the screen size by one notch, and the traditional status bar will return, face and all. You can even force the engine to scale it up, so it's not tiny. That's personally how I use ZDoom; gotta have that big gray hunk of concrete down there.

Old Post 03-09-14 18:31 #
Shadow Hog is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fabian

babo said:

ok I tried that and it's pretty good, thanks. One thing, maybe I'm being anal, but the music is different for some reason. It's the same songs but "remastered" or something, but I guess i will use this port for now.

Nope, it's not remasterd. It's merely played back using an advanced MIDI renderer called fluidsynth.

To get the old experience, set "Prefered Midi Player" to "OPL2" in the "Options->General" menu under "Sound & Music".

Old Post 03-10-14 15:34 #
fabian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote