Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > Recommend me a source port

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:50. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kairunotabi

Hey guys! Can you recommend a good open-source Doom/HeXen/Heretic Source Port which has a good license that allows any fork to be distributed without the modified source code? I would also appreciate it if it's extensively documented. :)

Thanks in advance!

Old Post 04-14-14 03:33 #
kairunotabi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Archy
Forum Regular

kairunotabi said:
Hey guys! Can you recommend a good open-source Doom/HeXen/Heretic Source Port which has a good license that allows any fork to be distributed without the modified source code?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think such a thing exists, as the original engine was GPLed and all source ports are derived from it.

Last edited by Archy on 04-14-14 at 04:31

Old Post 04-14-14 04:18 #
Archy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
plums

The original licenses for all the games were not under the GPL, but a non-commercial license that didn't require you to release the source. I don't know how that works now, whether you can still use the source under that license or not. Obviously a project that had started with that license can't be forced to switch to the GPL if it's incompatible, but I don't know what that means for new projects.

Old Post 04-14-14 04:55 #
plums is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chungy

Your question is somewhat in conflict. The original Doom source release was under a license that was not open source, but does permit binary-only distributions. ZDoom and its derivatives are partially under this and many others (arguably illegally so).

The GPL re-licensing of the engine, however, is open source, but it's a copyleft license that ensures that source code access is always available.

Theoretically it's possible for someone to do a fully clean-room reimplementation of the engines and license under a liberal license (like the BSD license), which would comply your original request. But such an effort is huge and I don't think it's ever been done :)

Old Post 04-14-14 08:13 #
chungy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Graf Zahl
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

There is no source port in existence that does not at least partially use licenses that require a source release - even ZDoom contains some LGPL portions that make it impossible to release a modified binary without source.

You also won't get any help from the devs in trying to help you. ZDoom would happily switch over to GPL it it wasn't for some external code it relies on and can't be replaced with a free equivalent.

Old Post 04-14-14 08:24 #
Graf Zahl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DaniJ

You want extensively documented source code, with a license that lets you exploit it commercially, while giving nothing back? Thats a rather an insulting request to be frank. And whats worse, you can't even be bothered to look for it yourself.

Old Post 04-14-14 09:39 #
DaniJ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fabian

DaniJ said:
You want extensively documented source code, with a license that lets you exploit it commercially, while giving nothing back? Thats a rather an insulting request to be frank. And whats worse, you can't even be bothered to look for it yourself.

Exactly what I thought. And that sould be a "good license". And then the source should also be extensively documented. Good luck with this attitude...

Old Post 04-14-14 10:08 #
fabian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

kairunotabi said:
allows any fork to be distributed without the modified source code?
Please don't do this. It's really antisocial and disrespectful to all the other Doom source hackers who have put a lot time and effort into developing their source ports.

It's not so much to ask that you just play fair and share your changes like the rest of us have.

Old Post 04-14-14 15:36 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote