Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > GZDoom won't run WAD

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:36. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
cycloolephin

Hey. I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I've searched the internet for the past 2 hours and have found nothing.

I just downloaded several WADs, and have been unable to get them to work with GZDoom. The main one I am trying to get to work is Titan2. I have tried to open the WAD with the drag'n'drop method, right clicking it and selecting 'open' with GZDoom, even tried using the command line. Nothing works, it always brings up the same message: no WAD was detected. However, when I try using one of the original WADs(such as Doom2), it will load that just fine. I have the newest version of GZDoom too. Help please??? I really want to play this WAD. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Old Post 04-29-14 19:28 #
cycloolephin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kappes Buur
Forum Regular

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Installation_...cution_of_ZDoom

The easiest way is to simply drag the wad file onto the GZDoom icon or GZDoom.exe

Old Post 04-29-14 20:42 #
Kappes Buur is offline Profile || Blog || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
plums

This sounds like a filesystem or permissions error rather than a GZDoom error to me. What OS are you using? Have you tried running as administrator or moving the wad to a different location? Is the error message directly in GZDoom or is it a pop-up message?

Old Post 04-29-14 21:33 #
plums is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

plums said:
...or moving the wad to a different location?

If it's in c:\program files, move it somewhere else. Even if that doesn't solve the current problem, you should do that.

Old Post 04-29-14 22:59 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cycloolephin

I am using Windows 7. I tried running as administrator and it didn't work. I also tried moving the wad. This is the error message that pops up when I try to run it:

"Execution could not continue.

Cannot find a game IWAD (doom.wad, doom2.wad, heretic.wad, etc.).
Did you install ZDoom properly? You can do either of the following:

1. Place on or more of these wads in the same directory as ZDoom.
2. Edit your zdoom-username.ini and add the directories of your iwads to the list beneath [IWADSearch.Directories]"

Old Post 04-30-14 07:50 #
cycloolephin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kappes Buur
Forum Regular

cycloolephin said:

Well, this message seems clear enough.

Do you own one of the games: DOOM, DOOM2, FINAL DOOM, HERETIC, HEXEN ?

If you do, then all you have to do is copy the IWAD file:
DOOM.WAD or DOOM2.WAD or PLUTONIA.WAD or TNT.WAD or HERETIC.WAD or HEXEN.WAD
into the folder where you installed GZDoom.
Then drag the PWAD onto the GZDoom icon or GZDoom.exe.

If you do not, then without the IWAD it just will not work.

Old Post 04-30-14 08:31 #
Kappes Buur is offline Profile || Blog || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
plums

cycloolephin said:
"Execution could not continue.

Did you install ZDoom properly? You can do either of the following:

1. Place on or more of these wads in the same directory as ZDoom.
2. Edit your zdoom-username.ini and add the directories of your iwads to the list beneath [IWADSearch.Directories]"

Try editing zdoom-yourname.ini to add the location of the iwads anyhow.

Alternately, try putting the wad in the same directory as doom2.wad, control-click doom2.wad and the other wad you want to run, and then drag doom2.wad onto zdoom.exe. You shouldn't have to do it this way, but it might at least work until a better solution is found.

Also, you could try using the DOOMWADDIR environment variable.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1261903

@Kappes Buur: He very clearly states that he has the original wads in the first post.

Last edited by plums on 04-30-14 at 15:51

Old Post 04-30-14 15:42 #
plums is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cycloolephin

Thanks muchly Plums! I tried what you said with using the doom2 wad, and it works!

Old Post 04-30-14 17:52 #
plums

Great. So the problem is that ZDoom doesn't know where to find doom2.wad (and other iwads) normally. You do have them in the same folder as zoom.exe right? If so then one of those other solutions (editing the config, setting up the DOOMWADDIR variable) should fix the problem.

Here's the relevant section of my zdoom-username.ini
change C:\Games\Doom as needed.

code:
[IWADSearch.Directories] Path=C:\Games\Doom Path=$DOOMWADDIR Path=$HOME Path=$PROGDIR

Old Post 04-30-14 18:15 #
cycloolephin

Thanks, I put the filepath in and now it loads right up!

Old Post 04-30-14 19:01 #