Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
game_genesis

Skulltag glides question

Hey guys, I am new to the forums so first, wanted to say Hi!
The question I have is bothering me for some time now - basically, glides in Skulltag seem to be acting differently than the ones in other source ports, it is really hard, or impossible, if you please, to perform a decent working guided glide in Skulltag. Most of the glides possible there are squeezes - right angle + vertical mouse movement, and I am interested in guideless glides, D2Map22 in particular. I can do it on ChocolateDoom, but I can't do it on Skulltag. Just to be clear, I am no Doom nor glide pro. I started to practice running Doom and I'm bothered by these things, so if there is anyone who can help me out with their experiences with Skulltag/other ports and gliding on those, it would mean alot!
Thank you guys, hope I was clear enough, just ask if you need any details ^^

Yeah, glides work very differently - I think this applies to Zdoom too.

The thing is, that in vanilla Doom and compatibles, when you move, let's say north, you also drift a tiny little bit to the west. (Imprecision in the code/lookup tables, or something of that nature.) Much of the techniques involved in gliding make use of this, as it means you can gradually drift into exactly the right position for the glide to work.

The drift to the left can also make some otherwise easy glides more difficult - i.e. if you are already perfectly lined up, the drifting means the glide fails. Try STRAIN map07. In Zdoom, you make the glide just by moving backwards*. In vanilla (or ports that behave like it in this respect), it is much harder.

Read this if you want a better understanding of this phenomenon (and a headache).

* Edit for clarity: at the very start of the map, move directly backwards, with absolutely no other movement.

Thank you, already read like 90% OP + replies on this thread, the headache grew exponentially while reading ^^
My main concern is finding out which ports are "glide-friendly", lets say, since I don't like doing "speedruns" on ports that aren't glide-consistent..
Which port would you recommend me? (UV-speed runs)

Odamex is compatible with wall running. PrBoom and Zdaemon are too, I'm fairly sure (but don't quote me on that!)

Also, you may want to considering updating your Skulltag to Zandronum - zandronum.com

Hope this helps!

If you intend to record your speedruns, stay away from Zdoom-based ports. Their behaviour tends to change with every version, which leads to desyncing all old demos. Odamex and Zdaemon restored vanilla behaviour to an extent, but their demos are needlessly bulky for singleplayer speedrunning. Favourite vanilla-emulating ports are a subjective question. I prefer prBoom+, but others use chocolate, CNDoom or even Eternity.

Btw, the map22 glide is not guideless, the angled bars themselves funnel you to the correct position reliably. The weird geometry makes it a special case and I've never had much success with classic gliding methods there, because plastic collisions with the bars mess with your position. From experience, try running against the opening at full forward speed (no strafing) with direction one "notch" couterclockwise from orthogonal. You'll know what that means if you try to record a vanilla-compatible demo, mouse turning gets "rough" like a turning cog.

Thank you Doomkid, trying it out this moment!

And dew, thanks for your personal opinion, maybe I give prBoom+ a second chance ^^ Oh, and that glide, my fault, is guided, but still different from the other ones, at least for me (hard-as-hell)

Any port that has demo compatibility with Doom2.exe will necessarily behave in the correct way with respect to glides. (They wouldn't have demo compatibility then, as demos would desync - QED.)

I'll make explicit a point that dew hinted at: any practising of gliding techniques should be done while recording, as the turning is different then, and this tends to make glides easier (or at the very least different). You can also achieve this in prboom+ by using the following command-line option:

-shorttics
That way you get the same turning behaviour, but without recording lots of unwanted demos to your hard disk.

There have been several threads about gliding techniques in this forum. Searching for posts by cack_handed should help locate some of them. He was a major pioneer in this respect.

Oh yeah, and be sure to use prboom-plus rather than regular prboom. It's the current line of development and has many compatibility and other fixes, and adds features that make recording and playback more convenient. Any display options you don't like can be turned off.