Planning to bring out my own update for PSP Legacy
Don't expect it immediately, I'll be working on it in my spare time; but it's a priority for me personally because Doom is so damn awesome and even more awesome is playing it on the PSP (AKA the King of all gadgets).
Planned list of changes, PSP Legacy Release 5.0
- Add cyclic item bar scrolling for Heretic, so that the inventory can be scrolled with only one button (frees up another key which is essential for the full FPS layout for Heretic on the PSP)
- Seperate PWAD directories for Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Plutonia, TNT & Heretic; only the corresponding PWADs would appear for the IWAD chosen.
- Color-coding of PWADs according to whether they are single-levels, Minisodes (2-7 levels), Episodes (8-13 levels), MegaWAD-Lites (14-23 levels), or MegaWADs (+24 levels). Internally, this would be represented as a folder structure; i.e. there is a folder for Episodes, a folder for Minisodes, etc... chucking a given PWAD into one of these folders will assign it the corresponding color-code in the PWAD browser.
- Add support for 'PWAD folders'. The idea is that PWAD and DEH files can be grouped together into a single folder. Such a folder would show up in the PWAD browser, under its own folder name rather than the name of the WAD(s) within. Upon selection, the PWADs within would be loaded up in alphabetical order, along with any DEH files that might be present (also in alphabetical order). Optionally, it would also be possible to control the load-order explicitly, by creating a file called loadorder.txt within the PWAD folder, and listing each PWAD and/or DEH file sequentially in the desired order.
- Seperate save directories not only for each given IWAD, but also for each different PWAD/PWAD folder. Now you'll be able to play several Doom II PWADs concurrently for example, without having to worry about juggling & mixing-up saves between them (not 100% sure on this feature though).
Planned list of changes, PSP Legacy Release 5.1
- Bring the code base more up to the latest revision of PC Legacy 1.45. As of the current PSP Legacy Release 4.01, the code already partially includes fixes from the 1.44 and/or 1.45 releases, from my understanding. I haven't examined it yet, so I cannot say at this stage what else I might wish to update, however the aim would be to bring up the PSP Legacy release to 1.45 as much as possible/feasible, and within the limitations of the PSP's hardware.
- Possibly some general optimization/speed improvements (don't count on it though).
Planned list of changes, PSP Legacy Release 5.2
- Redesign of PWAD selection screen to allow the read-me's in PWAD folders to be displayed; or via switching to the text-display by button. By default, the alphabetical first text file (loadorder.txt files excluded) will be loaded up, but it's possible to specify a specific default one via the loadorder.txt file, as well as secondary ones that can be switched to via buttons.
- Some sort of redesign that would allow 'mod' PWADs (that's to say PWADs without their own level-set that are just meant to modify the game by changing graphics/gameplay/music/etc...) to be selected seperately from the PWADs/PWAD folders (only one of which can be selected); whereupon the PWAD/PWAD folder selected would load, followed by any selected mod PWADs.
NOTE: The only thing I can really promise you guys is that I will get Release 5.0 done.
Release 5.1 depends on whether I find enough new things in the latest code and possible optimization ideas for the update to be worth my time.
Release 5.2 depends on whether I could be bothered at all and also what the sort of interest in my work would be and whether anyone would appreciate it (I'm doing 5.0 for myself, 5.1 maybe purely out of programming interest - but 5.2 I personally don't need).
It's possible that I might skip 5.1 (in which case I'll call 5.2 - 5.1), possible that I might stop at 5.1 and not do 5.2, and possible that I might just get 5.0 done and then move on (I got PSP Duke Nukem 3D, PSP Rise of the Triads, possibly PSP Quake updates I'm dreaming of getting done too).
But Doom is definitely the most awesome game out of all of those (Quake gives it a good run for its money though), so I'll put the most effort into Doom out of all.
Oh and one more thing. I'm planning to make a big compilation of all the good/classic PWADs that are compatible with PSP Legacy. I'll run them all through glBSP to remove the rendering errors, check them and make sure they run acceptably on PSP Legacy, package them into my PWAD folder format for your convenience, and release them all as one big archive.
Anyone have any objections? I do not want to ask every single author for permission; there are way too many of them and most of the email addresses I have in these readme files are long extinct I'm sure; thus all I'll accomplish is having a whole bunch of emails unanswered and then I'll just have to assume that they don't mind anyway.
But certainly, if any of you folks are in contact with an author and want to let them know of my nefarious plans feel free - I'll certainly exclude any WAD that is specifically objected to by its author. I'll publish the list of WADs I intend to include a good amount of time in advance before I release the archive.
Last edited by flamming_python on 01-27-15 at 17:25