Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > New to source ports: Need one for Hexen. Please Help!

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:22. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bob-Omb

I just got a "new" copy of Hexen online (It was still wrapped, I don't know how new that makes it). The DOS installer gives me sound card options that I don't understand because I'm stupid, but I do know that if I configure it so that the sound effects are active, it plays slowly and the sound is slow, too. If I configure it so that the SFX don't even play, it runs fine. Someone told me to get a source port from this site, and I had never heard of a source port before. Which should I get for my problem? I'd just like to fix my SFX performance, and not have new anything else, like it looks like most of the source ports offer (If that's possible). Thanks for any help!

Old Post 05-16-02 23:49 #
Bob-Omb is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Liam
the Bard formerly known as the Bard

Doomsday Vavoom

Two great ports there, they support Hexen as well as Doom and Heretic. Since they are GL ports you will have to build GL nodes for the Hexen Iwad but it's a simple fast process and the ports will do it for you if you like. On the downside, if you have a slow computer and/or a crappy video card they may not run well or at all.

BTW: In the downloads section of the 'Doomsday' link, make sure you get the 'unified' package. If you just want a port for Hexen, Jhexen can be found standalone here

Old Post 05-16-02 23:53 #
Liam is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Naked Snake
HAHA I AM A FAG AND I CAN'T CHANGE THIS TITLE ANYMORE

Hexen ports or maybe you should try here and if all else do a Google search.

Old Post 05-17-02 03:37 #
Naked Snake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

Try dxHexen. Do a Google on it. :)

Old Post 05-18-02 01:39 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Liam
the Bard formerly known as the Bard

HAHAHAHA DXHEXEN HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

Old Post 05-18-02 01:55 #
Liam is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Zro

Also try the Korax Mod 1 & 2 (based on old jHexen, requires OpenGL or D3D). It adds litle more RPG elements to Hexen.

The Links:
IWADs
S o u r c e ports
maps
tools
Frontend
Editor

Old Post 05-20-02 15:16 #
Zro is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Naked Snake
HAHA I AM A FAG AND I CAN'T CHANGE THIS TITLE ANYMORE

DooMBoy said:
Try dxHexen. Do a Google on it. :)

dxHexen sucks huge 5 pound 9 inch XXX greased up cock

Old Post 05-21-02 20:44 #
Naked Snake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

And why exactly does it do that, BBG? I think it could have better mouse support as well as Opengl or Direct3D support, but other than that, I like it.
Call me crazy if you like, as you please.

Old Post 05-24-02 03:57 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Bob-Omb

I have now tried a few Hexen/Heretic source ports, but they all seem to do lots of things I don't want. Not just mouse look or jump, but things like enhanced textures and new sprites. The feel is different, too, like the game was made on a different engine. I want a source port (or something) that purely and only makes my sound work. I even wouldn't mind too much if it gave me 3D sound, but I would like to just have my sounds fixed so that the SFX don't stutter and make the gameplay jumpy. Anything I can do?

Old Post 06-03-02 23:21 #
Bob-Omb is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Fredrik

Hexen support is being implemented in ZDoom. If you just wait a few months for that lazy Randy Heit guy to get it finished, you'll be able to enjoy Hexen the way it's supposed to look and play but with an up-to-date engine with sound and better performance under 32-bit Windows system.

Old Post 06-04-02 08:52 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote