Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sgtcrispy

3DO Doom Source released

I still say combine the 3do doom code with assaultcube and rewrite any gpl'd code from scratch, doing things in this order.

1.Implement 3do doom source into assaultcube engine.
2.Add Jaguar Doom support using clean-room reverse engineering and/or scratch.
3.Add Doom 1.2 support using clean-room reverse engineering and/or scratch.
4.Add Doom 1.9 support using clean-room reverse engineering and/or scratch.
5.Add Ultimate Doom support using clean-room reverse engineering and/or scratch.
6.Add Doom 2 1.9 support using...you get the idea.

Since I don't know that much about code, I might be oversimplifying things, and this setup might not work at all. If the mit license of the 3do code is legal though...

Danfun64 said:

I still say combine the 3do doom code with assaultcube and rewrite any gpl'd code from scratch, doing things in this order.

1.Implement 3do doom source into assaultcube engine.
2.Add Jaguar Doom support using clean-room reverse engineering and/or scratch.
3.Add Doom 1.2 support using clean-room reverse engineering and/or scratch.
4.Add Doom 1.9 support using clean-room reverse engineering and/or scratch.
5.Add Ultimate Doom support using clean-room reverse engineering and/or scratch.
6.Add Doom 2 1.9 support using...you get the idea.

Since I don't know that much about code, I might be oversimplifying things, and this setup might not work at all. If the mit license of the 3do code is legal though...

What does that other engine have to do with anything? You can't combine them.

I guess I got a little confused with how the ps3 version of doom 3 bfg implemented the doom engine into the rage engine or whatever.

The MIT license used by 3DO Doom and the Zlib license used by AssaultCube are very similar. The 3DO Doom engine would provide the basic doomness, while stuff like netcode, sound, etc could be provided from AssaultCube.

Sometimes it's annoying being in the middle of the spectrum between "What's Source Code?" and "I know every programming language perfectly and know what limits there are when it comes to changing source code."

Buckshot said:

So which was worse? 3do or Saturn version? I hear a bit of disgust for both.

Oh 3DO by far. The Saturn has framerate issues but I'd put them a shade worse than the ones PlayStation had. They're not "so slow you lose control, and the FPS goes up and down drastically based on the number of walls in view" bad, from what I've seen. Saturn also has all the monsters and all the maps (that PSX had), and a few additional things carried over from PSX Doom like some exclusive maps and the nightmare spectre monster. It also has Aubrey Hodges' dark ambient soundtrack, a plus in its favor for many.

Quasar said:

Oh 3DO by far. The Saturn has framerate issues but I'd put them a shade worse than the ones PlayStation had. They're not "so slow you lose control, and the FPS goes up and down drastically based on the number of walls in view" bad, from what I've seen. Saturn also has all the monsters and all the maps (that PSX had), and a few additional things carried over from PSX Doom like some exclusive maps and the nightmare spectre monster. It also has Aubrey Hodges' dark ambient soundtrack, a plus in its favor for many.

actually have been watching comparison videos of the two. Def' gotta agree... 3do version was atrocious. The framerate actually was making me queasy trying to watch it.

Saturn version was as you say... not incredibly shabby, but still had some quaseiness with that framerate. it strikes me as odd though that the older genesis-based 32x had a far superior engine handling than the next-gen saturn version did. very strange.

But the 32X port has smaller screen size that the Saturn port I think. Also it is missing rotations for all monsters so they are like sliding billboards, ridiculous...

VGA said:

But the 32X port has smaller screen size that the Saturn port I think. Also it is missing rotations for all monsters so they are like sliding billboards, ridiculous...

think the SNES port also did the same, but I actually didn't notice it until someone pointed it out. So it wasn't nearly as destructive to the game as the framerate drop. Might as well made a powerpoint presentation of the game and sold it as that.

DustFalcon85 said:

Cool. I really wish for the sources to the PSX & N64 Dooms to be released under GPL if it exists. Best Doom ports ever!

Doom 64 wasn't a port... it was it's own standalone game...

I highly doubt an emulator would have that "3do ISO loader" at the beginning. In fact, I'm not sure current 3do emulators could even handle that program.
and
So you added saving, demo recording, and messages. Nice work. Does anybody who is more knowledgable with the 3do port know if this version improved the FPS as well?

Pity you didn't try adding those new features to the Jaguar Doom, or even better, fix the Multiplayer sync issues that the JagDoom port has.

VGA said:

What are we looking at? Are you working on the released 3DO source and improving it? Are you playing on an emulator or real console?

Yes. I'm improving the 3DO version. This iso works on emulator and on a real console. ISO is signed.

I'm making a small font for messages now. This font is too large. The font on video will be completely redone. This one is only for testing engine.

I can't improve the FPS right now. My knowledge of C# is poor.

The WIP thread is here (Russian)
http://forum.3doplanet.ru/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3250

Danfun64 said:

or even better, fix the Multiplayer sync issues that the JagDoom port has.

What's the sync issues you're talking about?

Absolutely no parts of the 3DO Doom code were written in C#, which wasn't even invented the time the 3DO Doom port came out.

For whatever reason, JagDoom is considered unstable in multiplayer, especially in coop. Unfortunately I can't give a detailed explanation why.

edit: According to Atariage user Isgoed

Can't say much about the gameplay as it almost speaks for itself, and don't know any videos.

The problem with 2-player Jag Doom is that the game sometimes freezes and immediately restarts, due to a bug in the network hardware.

Sometimes the game freezes a lot, and sometimes almost not, it's very random.

The game freezes more often with co-op than deathmatch, but raiding 3 or more levels in co-op is also possible without interrupts.

In my experience is it also that small levels give less interupts and sometimes not at all.

For example, level one is much, much fun in deathmatch mode and might not freeze at all.

I took a picture once, during a Jaglink Doom deathmatch session with no interrupts.

VGA said:

Playing with postcard-sized screen sizes makes you feel like you are getting the mail.

LittleInferno said:

Playing with postcard-sized screen sizes makes you feel like you are getting the mail.

It looked like mail, but you couldn't see the front picture.

LittleInferno said:

The framerate did the same thing.

Is it possible to enlarge the view area? Maybe as a cheatcode if not an option.

Also, can the emulator be overclocked so that it runs smoothly?

Yes, 3DO emulator can set different CPU speed:

Here links to recently updated emulator Phoenix.

http://www.arts-union.ru/node/23
Direct links to files:
http://www.arts-union.ru/sites/default/files/ph24-win64.zip
http://www.arts-union.ru/sites/default/files/ph24-win32.zip
http://www.arts-union.ru/sites/default/files/ph234-linux-x86.zip
http://www.arts-union.ru/sites/default/files/ph234-linux-x64.zip
I can make a large screen by default, but in this case the original cheat code would be unused. And another problem: if I start my iso on console, it rewrites the doomprefs file. After this ORIGINAL iso will work like with entered large screen cheat. ((

In this case my saved settings doesn't affect the original game. ((( Anyway, thanks for advise, I'll think about it.

Danfun64 said:

or even better, fix the Multiplayer sync issues that the JagDoom port has.

Those issues are from LAN game, but 3DO version doesn't have multiplayer.

I never mentioned 3do multiplayer. I said it would be nice if somehow the jagdoom multiplayer issues could be fixed, but I never mentioned 3do multiplayer, which at the moment doesn't seem to exist.

IR Goggles is working now!

Monster teleport is working now!

Extramap 3DO

Engine test. 100 Barons of Hell

I can insert a new flats!

We can make own maps!

Here it's a convert pack.
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/He5P/AKKJSJPVR
Archive contains new Launchme (without monster teleport and IR goggles yet, this is old version), doom.wad for level designing, all flats, scripts, apps for converting and others. You can run _Convert.bat, then go to Converted folder and run Makerez. You'll get a REZFILE!
You can look into the _Convert.bat file to find out what's going on.