Severed bunny head
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > Would anyone ever consider creating doom for a VR headset if VR ever came back ?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:52. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Fluffy Tedster
Green Marine

Id just be interested to know peoples opinions on this, even though VR headsets died for some weird reason.

I think it would be a very interesting awesome exprience, as well as being immersive.

Old Post 06-23-02 15:30 #
Fluffy Tedster is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fodders
OWNS YOU

VR was ok for Doom I am sure, the 3 monitor set up for Doom was cool

You are my opponent, but not my enemy, for your resistance gives me strength. Your will gives me courage. Your spirit ennobles me. And, although I aim to defeat you, should I succeed, I will not humiliate you, instead I will honour you..For without you, I am a lesser man.

Old Post 06-23-02 16:13 #
fodders is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MaTT [TiK]
Forum Regular

I'd love to play VR Doom. In fact, I think I might have done. Years ago, I was at some business thingy at a posh hotel in my town, because I heard they had some stuff to do with VR computer games. When I got there, I found out they were just advertising one VR headset and they were playing a game on it. My mum asked if I could have a go and they let me, but I didn't get very far because I couldn't control it. Anyway, I think the game that I played might have been Doom. I don't know for sure, because I'd never played Doom at the time, but I vaguely remember just one screen where I was shooting at what looked like a Doom zombie standing by a wall that looked like the ones in Doom (1).

I've never tried that 3 moniter thing, but I've heard about it because it was in a cheat text file that I have somewhere. I always wondered if it really worked because I've never seen those command line parameters listed anywhere else, but it obviously does work. Can you do it in ZDoom, Doom Legacy, EDGE or any of the other "New Doom" source ports? If not, is there a way of setting up a special 2-moniter view mode using a serial null-modem cable?

Old Post 06-23-02 21:12 #
MaTT [TiK] is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

VR Doom should be easy, in fact, Heretic itself came with support for certain VR headsets, I played it on one in a store, it would even look up/down when you looked up/down. The headset was only in the $80 price range as well.

Old Post 06-23-02 21:48 #
Lüt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MaTT [TiK]
Forum Regular

How long ago was that? I never really knew when Heretic came out because it didn't seem to be as famous as Doom, at least in England, and I got it on a compilation CD with Doom and Doom 2, instead of buying it specially. How much do you think the VR headsets would be worth now? Maybe I can find them on ebay when I have some money.

Old Post 06-23-02 21:57 #
MaTT [TiK] is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

Heretic came out around 1995 (at least that's when I first got the shareware) and was later released in stores with 2 extra episodes. Either of the installs would install an EXE file called VIOHT.exe, which loaded support for the headsets. I don't see a text file to go with the EXE or any mention of headsets in the original helpme file, nor the manual, so I'd have to do a little more checking up on it. (Which I won't, so don't wait around for me :P .)

Old Post 06-24-02 01:00 #
Lüt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fodders
OWNS YOU

http://www.mindflux.com.au/images/vfx1-1.gif

The
VFX1 Vr headgear
supported Doom
Software included with the VFX1 Headgear:
Heretic
Mech Warrior 2
Zephyr
Rise of the Triad
Descent:
Destination Saturn
Flight Unlimited
Special Edition
DOOM
Wings of Glory
Darker
Super Karts
Magic Carpet
America On-Line
Quarantine
Locus
Virtek 3D-Ware
Virtual World

You are my opponent, but not my enemy, for your resistance gives me strength. Your will gives me courage. Your spirit ennobles me. And, although I aim to defeat you, should I succeed, I will not humiliate you, instead I will honour you..For without you, I am a lesser man.

Last edited by fodders on 06-24-02 at 16:53

Old Post 06-24-02 02:16 #
fodders is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lizardcommando
I'm a good person because I like dogs

I played Duke Nukem 3D with a VR set thingy once. It was pretty fun, but that was some time ago... I sure miss those things :(

Old Post 06-24-02 03:49 #
Lizardcommando is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
999cop
Constrained Owing to Lot

Heh, what's a VR set?

Old Post 06-24-02 04:36 #
999cop is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ralphis`
Loser

Virtual Reality, those things you stick on your head and when you look around your player looks that way

Old Post 06-24-02 05:20 #
Ralphis` is offline Profile || Blog || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
999cop
Constrained Owing to Lot

Ralphis said:
Virtual Reality, those things you stick on your head and when you look around your player looks that way
what kind of things stick on your head? got a pic or something? hardly imagine what it is

Old Post 06-24-02 08:02 #
999cop is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Livo

I doubt that VR headsets will ever come back, especially as any decent lightweight LCD/plasma/whatever VR screen that can handle the current level of polygons and textures today, at a decent rate will probably be too cost prohibitive to most people. Besides, it would most likely get a bit boring and "gimmicky" after some use.

Old Post 06-24-02 10:11 #
Livo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MaTT [TiK]
Forum Regular

999cop said:
what kind of things stick on your head? got a pic or something? hardly imagine what it is

It's a kind of helmet thingy. Fodders put a pic of one further up the thread.

Old Post 06-24-02 18:55 #
Root
Warming Up

I wanted to buy me one of this neat Olympus Eye-Trek things...they are like VR, except they do not have any
movement controls, but hey, they are light weights and
if you play Doom trough them you feel like drugged.

http://www.eye-trek.com

That stuff is cheap BTW ;)

Old Post 06-26-02 08:27 #
Root is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sirjuddington
Slade doesn't mean what it used to

Heh, I remember playing Doom 2 on a VR headset. Problem was, I didn't get very far (MAP03 before I gave up) since the joystick they used was crap (a little disc-shaped thing that you tilted forward/backwards to move :/).

Never saw that joystick again (although now they have those gamepads that you can tilt to move)...

Old Post 06-26-02 11:03 #
sirjuddington is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MaTT [TiK]
Forum Regular

SlayeR said:
a little disc-shaped thing that you tilted forward/backwards to move :/

Yeah, that's what I used when I played.

SlayeR said:
Never saw that joystick again

Yeah, that's probably because it was shit. Heh.

Old Post 06-26-02 17:27 #
Fluffy Tedster
Green Marine

Thanks for the big response guys, thought i wnt get any interest in this one :-)

Doom would be very cool in VR, but would it be playable? Can you still buy VR headsets today?

Old Post 06-26-02 19:12 #
Fluffy Tedster is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fluffy Tedster
Green Marine

Anyone who has got a VR headset, just on the off chance, that they dont want, let me know how much youd sell it for, in UK pounds please if you can

Old Post 06-26-02 19:19 #
MaTT [TiK]
Forum Regular

Check Ebay. I'm sure they'll have some there. I'm about to check myself.

Old Post 06-26-02 19:34 #
MaTT [TiK]
Forum Regular

Oh crap. I just went there and typed "VR headset" in the search field. It came up with three of them, but unfortunately they range from $100 to $172.06. I think $100 is about £70-£80 and that's a lot when you only earn £15 a week.

Old Post 06-26-02 19:39 #
Fluffy Tedster
Green Marine

im alright here matt my last wage was 200 quid-a week- and the one before that was a bit more cause ive bin workin loads of extra hrs at work before i start my degree :-)

80 quid then. Hmm not bad for a headset. Think ill grab one then. Ill take a look anyway.

Old Post 06-27-02 20:07 #
MaTT [TiK]
Forum Regular

Heh, I can't be arsed to get a proper job. I've just finished my GCSEs and I have a paper round (great, lol).

Old Post 06-27-02 22:06 #
Fluffy Tedster
Green Marine

how much is that 2p a week then

Old Post 06-28-02 22:57 #
MaTT [TiK]
Forum Regular

£15 - I told you

Old Post 06-29-02 11:50 #