Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > ZDoom: New creature definitions please
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:43. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dsm
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!


Posts: 9907
Registered: 12-01


I really damn hope that ZDoom will have the feature to create new creature definitions (allowing you to create entirely new monsters without scrapping ANY of the existing ones) sometime in the not-so-distant future.

Because in this respect, regardless of all ZDoom's other nifty features, it can make the port a pain if you want to do a wad with new enemies AND slopes, since you'll have to decide which of the old creatures you'd want to scrap.

__________________
"Welcome to reality, welcome to Hell"

Old Post 09-13-02 08:53 #
dsm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sphagne
Member


Posts: 368
Registered: 06-02


Every time I sugget it at ZDoom`s forums I am told politely to wait for DoomScript! ;)

Old Post 09-13-02 12:27 #
Sphagne is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Biffy
Forum Regular


Posts: 894
Registered: 02-01



dsm said:
Because in this respect, regardless of all ZDoom's other nifty features, it can make the port a pain if you want to do a wad with new enemies AND slopes, since you'll have to decide which of the old creatures you'd want to scrap.

dsm, there's no specific issue with slopes, is there, as far as creating new enemies or not? I don't know how that could be.

At least we can now use the enemies from Heretic and Hexen in doom maps, alongside the doom creatures.

Old Post 09-13-02 21:38 #
Biffy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
dsm
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!


Posts: 9907
Registered: 12-01



Biffy said:

At least we can now use the enemies from Heretic and Hexen in doom maps, alongside the doom creatures.


We can? How?
The problem I was talking about is simple: If I wanted to do a wad which has levels with sloped surfaces AND new creatures, I would be in for a tough ride.
ZDoom is the only source port with sloped surfaces afaik, so that one's the one to use for that, BUT you can't create entirely new monsters - the only thing you can do is to take an existing monster, change its sprites and its attack values etc. - but I don't want to sacrifice the old enemies.

__________________
"Welcome to reality, welcome to Hell"

Old Post 09-13-02 21:46 #
dsm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Biffy
Forum Regular


Posts: 894
Registered: 02-01


I think I see...you are "stuck" with zdoom if you want slopes but right now zdoom does not allow all-new monsters.

The more recent unofficial zdoom versions support the spawnspot acs command, which can bring in the Heretic and Hexen stuff. It's not completely trivial, you need the monster sprites, sounds and some sndinfo entries in your pwad to make it work. Same for weapons.

Look at several threads. One in this forum about zdoom versions, and there was another in the editing forum I think, recently, about Heretic stuff in doom. Also, some discussion of spawnspot vs. the more-used thingspawn commands.

Old Post 09-13-02 22:00 #
Biffy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Lobo
Forum Regular


Posts: 972
Registered: 12-01



dsm said:
I really damn hope that ZDoom will have the feature to create new creature definitions (allowing you to create entirely new monsters without scrapping ANY of the existing ones) sometime in the not-so-distant future.

Because in this respect, regardless of all ZDoom's other nifty features, it can make the port a pain if you want to do a wad with new enemies AND slopes, since you'll have to decide which of the old creatures you'd want to scrap.



Very True! The best thing would be Edges DDFs and Zdooms Everything else!!

__________________
Official EDGE Forum.

Robotech: FirstGen TC / Edge Shell Launcher(ESL) Home page.

Old Post 09-13-02 23:15 #
Lobo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ultraviolet
933-phunk-5up4h-94n9574


Posts: 3303
Registered: 03-02


No way. There is not a chance in hell that something similar to DDF will make it into ZDoom.

DoomScript, according to Randy, will be more like UnrealScript. This is a good thing, because the way it is structured, it is similar to ACS (both are somewhat like C... somewhat), and if you can't work with ACS, then don't mod for ZDoom. It should fit perfectly.

But not effin' DDF. Looks sloppy as hell.

__________________
Everything is under control.

Old Post 09-14-02 00:24 #
Ultraviolet is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign


Posts: 8218
Registered: 11-01


I know DDF (vaguely tho)

__________________
Released wads and other doom crap

Old Post 09-14-02 12:50 #
rf` is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT


Posts: 6386
Registered: 12-00


Randy has made a step along the way with doomscript/being able to define monsters.

The next version of Zdoom will have the ability to define items. Not fully mobile, attacking monsters, but decoration items such as pillars, twitching bodies and pick ups.

To be clear, these are independant of dehacked and the regular doom items. They are additional items that you define, provide your own graphics for, allocate an edit number and place in your map where you see fit without upsetting anything else in doom.

__________________
Meek

Old Post 09-14-02 13:38 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ultraviolet
933-phunk-5up4h-94n9574


Posts: 3303
Registered: 03-02


...and then we could scrap the frames the original decorative items were using and replace them with monsters. Sweet.

__________________
Everything is under control.

Old Post 09-14-02 17:55 #
Ultraviolet is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
dsm
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!


Posts: 9907
Registered: 12-01



Enjay said:
Randy has made a step along the way with doomscript/being able to define monsters.

The next version of Zdoom will have the ability to define items. Not fully mobile, attacking monsters, but decoration items such as pillars, twitching bodies and pick ups.

To be clear, these are independant of dehacked and the regular doom items. They are additional items that you define, provide your own graphics for, allocate an edit number and place in your map where you see fit without upsetting anything else in doom.


Well, that's a start :-)
I hope new creature definitions will arrive in a later version (and hopefully not too far into the future).

__________________
"Welcome to reality, welcome to Hell"

Old Post 09-14-02 20:10 #
dsm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend


Posts: 5012
Registered: 05-00


You can free up quite a few frames by giving all the power-ups (the armour, keys, invisibility, invunerability, etc) only one frame. Then use something like one of the duplicate decoration things (by duplicate decorations, I mean the ones with blocking and un-blocking versions) for the new monster.

You could also steal some frames from some of the decorations, e.g. the two tech lamps, the magic eye, the heart on a pillar etc. Then there's the torches, which can free up another 24 frames if you're willing to not use them. Oh, and how could I forget... there's also the Keen frames.

__________________
RTC-3057: The future of DOOM.
3057 reasons to keep dooming.

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Last edited by NiGHTMARE on 09-14-02 at 20:22

Old Post 09-14-02 20:17 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT


Posts: 6386
Registered: 12-00



NiGHTMARE said:
You can free up quite a few frames by giving all the power-ups (the armour, keys, invisibility, invunerability, etc) only one frame...


Indeed. That's something I've used quite a bit. And in Zdoom you can give the powerups the "floatbob" bit so that they will, um float and bob up and down like Heretic powerups. So despite loosing their frame animation they are still kind of animated.

And lets not forget the pain elemental's unused respawn sequence.

But as Ultraviolet said, once there is a released version of Zdoom with the user definable decorations, then all the existing Doom decorations could easily be defined in a DECORATE lump thereby freeing up all the original decoration item frames and their item slots in dehacked too. So that would leave even more frames and things to play around with via dehacked until DoomScript is done.

__________________
Meek

Old Post 09-14-02 21:37 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ultraviolet
933-phunk-5up4h-94n9574


Posts: 3303
Registered: 03-02


Nigel: Why didn't I hear about this on the ZDoom phorums? I read/post there regularly (as Faint... hi Nigel, Nick!)

__________________
Everything is under control.

Old Post 09-14-02 22:52 #
Ultraviolet is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Draconio
Ack! Ack! Ack!


Posts: 1044
Registered: 02-02


You could always replace the Nazi. I mean, you aren't planning on using him, were you?

__________________
Transmission ends. Prepare to start your mission.

Old Post 09-14-02 23:12 #
Draconio is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sphagne
Member


Posts: 368
Registered: 06-02


From the Resurrect frame of Pain elemental, to SS Nazi and Keen to Boss spawn animations, there are lots of free space to use!

Old Post 09-15-02 03:10 #
Sphagne is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Livo
Member


Posts: 563
Registered: 05-02


Being unfamiliar with the Doom engine...why hasn't someone been able to raise the frame limit?

__________________
"Everything that deceives, also enchants"- Plato

Old Post 09-15-02 07:28 #
Livo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
dsm
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!


Posts: 9907
Registered: 12-01



Draconio said:
You could always replace the Nazi. I mean, you aren't planning on using him, were you?

Yeah, but that's only *one* enemy - what if I wanted at least five new enemies?

__________________
"Welcome to reality, welcome to Hell"

Old Post 09-15-02 10:07 #
dsm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT


Posts: 6386
Registered: 12-00



Ultraviolet said:
Nigel: Why didn't I hear about this on the ZDoom phorums? I read/post there regularly (as Faint... hi Nigel, Nick!)


So the faint blue afterglimmer has turned violet eh? Hi Faint, um Ultraviolet. Did you ever see the Brit TV show called Ultraviolet (about vampires)? Typical semi-low buget, low drama, quite subtle British TV. I thought it was a good series though. It just sprung to mind when I saw your name.

Anyway, the subject in question came up in an e-mail, and it's not in the released versions of Zdoom, so I figured there was little point in going into it on the phorum, but seeing as how it was relevant here...

__________________
Meek

Old Post 09-15-02 10:15 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Quasar
Moderator


Posts: 6123
Registered: 08-00


There is no "frame limit," its just that frames are stored in a static array in the executable in the original DOOM way of doing things. You can't add elements to a static array at run-time, unfortunately.

The only way to remove this static nature is to move the frames into data and load them at startup. That allows an arbitrary number of frames to be defined.

Old Post 09-16-02 16:32 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT


Posts: 6386
Registered: 12-00



Quasar said:
There is no "frame limit,"...


That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess for practical puposes, the number of frames are a "limit" but the limit is there because of the way things are set up in the compiled EXE and how they are hacked using dehacked, and not as a tied in limit of the engine as such, right?

I presume things like DDF work by moving the frames into data as you describe, as indeed would Randy's new user defined decoration items for Zdoom.

__________________
Meek

Old Post 09-16-02 18:34 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ultraviolet
933-phunk-5up4h-94n9574


Posts: 3303
Registered: 03-02


Nigel: Actually, I did see some of that movie. It was too long with too many parts, so I didn't bother watching all of it, I had things to do.

__________________
Everything is under control.

Old Post 09-16-02 22:20 #
Ultraviolet is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Russel_P
Warming Up


Posts: 10
Registered: 09-02



Enjay said:


Did you ever see the Brit TV show called Ultraviolet (about vampires)? Typical semi-low buget, low drama, quite subtle British TV. I thought it was a good series though



Ultraviolet was cool. Shame they never made a second series. Apparently an american company brought the rights and have made an american version. I shudder to think what thats like!

Old Post 09-18-02 00:44 #
Russel_P is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Quasar
Moderator


Posts: 6123
Registered: 08-00



Enjay said:

I presume things like DDF work by moving the frames into data as you describe, as indeed would Randy's new user defined decoration items for Zdoom.



And soon to include EDF for Eternity! ^_^

Old Post 09-18-02 18:11 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT


Posts: 6386
Registered: 12-00



Quasar said:


And soon to include EDF for Eternity! ^_^



Interesting - I look forward to it.


Russel_P said:


Ultraviolet was cool. Shame they never made a second series. Apparently an american company brought the rights and have made an american version. I shudder to think what thats like!



Yeah I was hoping for a second series too. Not sure where they would have taken it, but I liked the show (I have them on DVD). As I said, nice and understated. I thought they were going to throw it all away one episode and show that the vampires weren't all that bad, but it turned around beutifully and they were once again shown to be the sleezy corrupters that the program had them pegged as. They *******ely have the Sadim touch (opposite to the Midas touch - instead of everything you touch turning to gold, it turns to shit instead).

I loved the part where the priest was tempted by the vampires, but eventually made his peace and rejected them.

"Thank you for your interest, I'm already spoken for" Then he fires a bunch of carbon bullets into the vamp. Nice!

__________________
Meek

Old Post 09-19-02 00:23 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Xanthier
Forum Regular


Posts: 983
Registered: 09-02



dsm said:

We can? How?
The problem I was talking about is simple: If I wanted to do a wad which has levels with sloped surfaces AND new creatures, I would be in for a tough ride.
ZDoom is the only source port with sloped surfaces afaik, so that one's the one to use for that, BUT you can't create entirely new monsters - the only thing you can do is to take an existing monster, change its sprites and its attack values etc. - but I don't want to sacrifice the old enemies.



I agree, why must we sacrifice the classic monsters? why?, why??!

__________________
When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne.

Old Post 10-16-02 19:19 #
Xanthier is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Archaeo
Junior Member


Posts: 136
Registered: 10-02


Hey DSM! You could always replace an artifact like a tree or something with the sprites of something like the marine and then you can change the colors, or use the other ideas of changing unused frames from other sprites. and give it all the stuff it needs to be alive.

__________________
Go ahead and eat that worm. It's not that bad with mushrooms. :P

Old Post 10-17-02 08:11 #
Archaeo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Quast
insert title here


Posts: 2652
Registered: 09-02


What would be really cool is if you could define new weapons and not have to dick around with dehacked to make new weapons effects....

One thing i am wondering, is how skulltag could add new weapons without comprimising the normal ones.

Old Post 10-20-02 09:38 #
Quast is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Nick Perrin
Enjay's bodyguard


Posts: 1343
Registered: 11-02


use vavoom for your level. It's capable of sloping,
and all the stuff EDGE can do. And all the rest of
the zdoom stuff. So there you go!

__________________
Nick Perrin Music

Old Post 11-17-02 20:53 #
Nick Perrin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign


Posts: 8218
Registered: 11-01



Quast said:
One thing i am wondering, is how skulltag could add new weapons without comprimising the normal ones.

Codeine (Sorry, dislexia. I meant Coding.)

__________________
Released wads and other doom crap

Old Post 11-17-02 21:30 #
rf` is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:43. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > ZDoom: New creature definitions please

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are OFF
[IMG] code is ON
 

< Contact Us - Doomworld >

Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.2.5
Copyright ©2000, 2001, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.