Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kinsie

Something Awful review shitty Doom map

Yep. Since I'm not touching that Douche of a map with a ten-foot download-accelerating pole, I'll leave it to you to play it.

I remember this map, I played it a few years ago, and while being a bit (just a little....) over the top with ammo, it's not the worst wad I've played. (as a matter of fact I played the other 1fiffy# maps that night and remember enjoying that one more than the others!?!?!)

But back then I only had vanilla, so I was used to basic detail and stuff....

(Still, there's a certain vintage atmosphere about maps with basic detail, especially startan3/floor4_8/ceil3_5 based maps....don't know why, there just is)

Heh. Fiffy's first map. Well, the player is the Wolfenstein dude. Think about it, more complex architecture would certainly confuse ol' B.J.

stupid review.
is it a bad map: yes.
but it is entertaining. "The Game" is an awful movie, but I enjoyed watching it. reviewers should look at wads from 2 perspectives;
Was it fun to play?
Is there any quality?
in short, is there some reason why anyone should play this map? I say yes.
Call it the "1337 wad effect" -- lousy maps that are still fun to play.
a TRUE -46 rating is for maps that don't have anything for anyone.

DEMOn said:

Call it the "1337 wad effect" -- lousy maps that are still fun to play. a TRUE -46 rating is for maps that don't have anything for anyone.

If you look at the Cranky Steve reviews for other games, you will see that the lowest markings are reserved for maps that are comically appalling but were intended as serious maps. Deliberately bad maps are marked down (i.e. less negative). Still, with a -46 rating, they haven't left much room for other really sad maps.

Perhaps there aren't too many Doom maps to rival the stuff inflicted on other games though. The first Quake 2 map to get the -50 award ("Ths map is God fun") really was hideously atrocious - not even 1337.wad comes close.

Grazza: agreed.
I love CS's colormap and radiosity screenshots for quake2.. some truly awful maps that are as hard on the eyes as his reviews are on their scrotums. :)

Shaviro said:

Satire...It's not a serious review.

Are you sure? Gawd, I hope he never gets ahold of one of my maps!

Man, I've seen and played some pretty shitty Quake2 maps, but the one's on Cranky Steve's Haunted Whorehouse are truly abysmal.

Little Faith said:

Anyone have played the old classic Illusio1.wad?

No, but if you give me the link I'll take it for a spin.