Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Mappers and mod grips
Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:59. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rf`
Dr. Nosign

Smooth is good too.

Old Post 10-15-02 03:07 #
rf` is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
nobbjob
Mini-Member

YES!!! I hate it when you don't know what a switch did upon activating it. Especially (!!!) when you are in the later stages of the level and are stumped on where to go next.
PS (if i did this in any of my levels, someone would have told me about it right?).

Old Post 10-16-02 11:54 #
nobbjob is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

Sorry to revive a dead thread. (hee, rhyme)

Ct_red_pants said:
Are there things that you wish people would stop putting/doing in there maps? to many/little monsters/health/items/ammo? maybe a texture your just sick of seeing, or a mistake that far too many people make. Well post 'em here. but try to be constrictive.

Those ASHWALL textures. Most of them are just plain sucky. Truly for hell.

Old Post 10-30-02 02:00 #
rf` is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mustafa saed
I seriously stink

I wish people stop putting shit loads of mismatch textures on maps.
First you start out in a tech base...then a few steps later your in a Hell textured gstone wood area,and finally a combo of both.

Old Post 10-30-02 02:56 #
mustafa saed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xanthier
Forum Regular

ravage said:
Sorry to revive a dead thread. (hee, rhyme)

I personally like ashitty, but that's the only one, the others plain suck...low detail and it's unclear what it's even supposed to be. i mean a bunch of stacked bloody heads, what could be cooler, this is way under-utilized.

PLEASE tell me if my maps end up crappy in any of these ways, like indecisive themes, I read a little on tutorial for editing, but that one's obvious IMO, sounds like some of the people just need mapmaking 101.

Old Post 10-30-02 21:23 #
Xanthier is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

Mapmaking 101? How much a credit? Is it a full semester class? Which college has it?

Oh no! I'm becoming a little trool here huh? /me smacks head

Old Post 10-30-02 22:41 #
eye_con
Warming Up

welll i read over some of the map making 101 thingys on the net and frankly i can't stand stupid maps so im gonna make sure my first ones are small enough that i can't screw anything up, and if i release them and they suck then i'll give up, some of the maps i've seen im just like WTF ok why would some people release this crap

so i wanna make sure mine flow b4 im gonna release anything im a sucker for detail

Old Post 10-31-02 12:58 #
eye_con is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMer 4ever
Forum Regular

ravage said:

I like ASHWALL3

Old Post 10-31-02 13:06 #
DooMer 4ever is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jayextee
Darth Jrrr

Personally, I think that the following is lacking in maps really:

1) An 'encounter' at the end of each level. Like the imp invasion (Kinda) at the end of map16 or the cybie in map29, something climactic to round off the level.
2) Custom textures, for a new atmosphere. But then, I just get sick of playing the same old themes, with the exception of that luvverly Q2-esque dark tech base one ;)
3) Humour. This is tied to #2, really, but just hide away something remotely funny, as an easter egg.
4) Variety. Yeah, keep to the same theme, but (And I've fallen prey to this myself) and entirely metal2 level is no good for anything except overfamiliarity.
5) Dehacked/bex trickery. It can add some real flourish to a levelset, that has some port-specific features converted to a more universal standard. (Personally, I like to make invisible, non-clipping, non-shootable SS soldiers with no attacks roam around levels with an ambient sound for their breathing and all other sounds removed. Sneaky, but it works. Well.)

Old Post 10-31-02 15:22 #
Jayextee is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote