Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

Strange Level Designs

I remember playing a Doom wad where you ran around on a Giant computer desktop a long time ago. And I was curious if there were any other levels I may have missed that may not have been the best levels, but were fun because of the fact they broke the traditional mold of doom levels and did something different and fun. Like in TvR! where you travel through a giant worm, just good fun to be had by all. Does anyone know of any more oddballs, like traveling throught the human body (hmmm..) or soemthing.

You've probably not played Fragport then - many an unusual theme (eg. remote island, a ship at sea, laser tag arena), but the strange ones are the secret maps (a black void and a TV gameshow).

DSV4's secret maps are quite weird too (a nightclub and err...nothing).

thanks myk :)

One of my current projects is a level in which you play the part of a piece of hacking software that has to travel across the internet and hack into someones PC. Very Tron. My friend STU did some Recogniser sprites in 3DMax for this level, so they're floating around to harrass you. It's totaly stupid, but has been quite fun to design. You can even visit Doomworld, or a games server (and play PacMan). It's half built atm, might finish it one day..

I did play the lego level along time ago. Another creative Idea. I did feel the lego them could have been puche even more though. Lego trees.. homes.. roads... all those cool towns I built as a kid.

was that herian 2 that had the ocean liner. Beatiful!

Torn said:

This legobase rules... hehehe

Good to hear. When I released that level I got no feedback whatsoever, which was kinda surprising since earlier I got over 50 emails about the project (mainly texture requests) when DW used an early screenshot as their POTD.

STRAIN map 28 I believe. It's one of the weirdest maps ever, but one of my favorites...

/me goes and plays it again.

Check out some of the stuff in the 10sector entries that didn't get into the main wad:

10secto2.wad's map07 or megawad4.wad's map21.

kristus said:

Russel. you get e-mails from doomers about your stuff? O_O

Yes I do, can I assume from your comments that this isn't typical? Null Space has generated the most feed back, in fact I'm still recieving emails about it (got two last week).

kristus said:

Russel. you get e-mails from doomers about your stuff? O_O

Ebola. You mean you don't! O_O

I can't believe that! Some of your levels have been real showstoppers (Phobia in particular springs to mind). No-one e-mailed you about them?

I sometimes still get e-mails about levels that have been out for years. I don't think there is anything I have released that hasn't invited at least one private comment, and you've released more, and far better, than me I think.

I also sometimes send out e-mails to authors if a certain level or mod particularly catches my imagination.

kristus said:

you get e-mails from doomers about your stuff?

Don't feel bad, most I ever got is 1 mail. (for CAPSLOCK, how ironic...)

Enjay said:

Ebola. You mean you don't! O_O

I can't believe that! Some of your levels have been real showstoppers (Phobia in particular springs to mind). No-one e-mailed you about them?

I sometimes still get e-mails about levels that have been out for years. I don't think there is anything I have released that hasn't invited at least one private comment, and you've released more, and far better, than me I think.

I also sometimes send out e-mails to authors if a certain level or mod particularly catches my imagination.

Haha, he better prepare for the mass influx now!

Fredrik said:

Umm castles floating around in the sky?

Bah! You'll be suggesting castles named after never ending root vegetables next.

:-)

Ok, maybe I exaggerated a bit. I've got 1 mail about nimrod, and a few for phobia asking about how to use the mp3 included in the wad, or about fraggle script. But nothing even close to 50 mails.

Everytime I find a mail actually directed at me, I have a small party in my chair (no matter what the contence). (spin one lap, drink some coke and chow down some chips :p)

The funny thing is...despite all the requests for the lego textures (and I had *LOADS* of requests), not one person released a level using the textures when I made them available. Just wait until i get my hands on those people....... :)

Scuba Steve said:

I remember playing a Doom wad where you ran around on a Giant computer desktop a long time ago.

any chance you might remember what it might have been called???? :)

uhmm. ow my thumb, can't play.. got about half way through on easiest skill. damn it really hurts in my thumb now.. cool map though. Alot bigger then I expected.. and intresting design to keep it intresting, and gameplay was really cool.