Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Rust SP map project
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:42. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
toxicfluff

Here are some screenshots from my current SP project Rust. It is single player and can only be played solo on the Legacy port. Both these things are because of the amount of scripting involved, and I've used some legacy/boom specific effects (3d lights extensively for a more accurately sourced look). Feature rundown:

Plugging rounds, blah blah blah. There will be a proper site put up on the link below at some point soon.

Done:

1). Commandable sidekicks, you can tell them to guard (stay), attack or move through some command shortcut keys. Thick as shit (doom AI), but they work.

2). A few new weapons/items.

3). Random ambient sound system. I spent a lot of time making the sounds.. and I must say, most of them are scary as shit. Expect a lot of screaming and moaning echoing down the hallways.

4). Some real gameplay varying stuff. Let's just say, you can leave your marine without dying.

5). Quite a few scripted sequences... Kills replayability, but what the hell.

6). Some never seen before graphical effects. At least I don't think they have been. I'm not sure.

Todo:

1). Lightweight conversation system (nothing too comprehensive though).

Anyway, the transition between the two styles shown in the pics on the page below will make sense upon release.

http://www.geocities.com/toxic_fluff/RUST/doom.html

RUST

Old Post 02-18-03 17:33 #
toxicfluff is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DEMOn

those sure are nice looking screenshots.

Old Post 02-18-03 18:57 #
DEMOn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Epyo
Dude

Ugh, what port is used in those screenies, so I can know to avoid it?

good looking maps btw.

Old Post 02-18-03 20:40 #
Epyo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Black Void

Epyo said:
Ugh, what port is used in those screenies, so I can know to avoid it?

good looking maps btw.

I think thats legacy (somebody correct me if I'm mistaken). And the screen shots are awesome - I love those flashy colors and the 3d bridge.

Old Post 02-18-03 20:46 #
Black Void is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
beezee88

Screenies are very nice. When will there be something playable out of this?

Old Post 02-18-03 21:49 #
beezee88 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Epyo
Dude

Black Void said:
I think thats legacy

ah, of course.

Old Post 02-18-03 22:19 #
Epyo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
toxicfluff

Hmm... It's only a 3 (4 including secret map) level project, so I expect to have it done in a couple of months. I'm trying for a very high level of quality though which is why it is taking a while. I still need a Hurt me plenty playtester if anyone wants to step up.

The first map is approaching done now, I'm just finishing off the conversation stuff and various little things (someone walks out to the toilet during the briefing lol).

Epyo: I'm afraid it's a legacy only port at the moment, because of the amount of 3D it uses. I'll learn ACS and do a Zdoom version if it becomes possible though. If it's the HUD you find ugly, I'm gonna be redoing that.

Anyway, thanks for the comments guys, I'll keep you posted.

RUST

Old Post 02-18-03 23:22 #
toxicfluff is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Epyo
Dude

oh don't mind my comments, I'm just holding a legacy grudge.

Old Post 02-18-03 23:58 #
kristus
Megablast!

Some of those shots remind me quite alot of Nimrod..

I can't wait to play this, it looks very promising.

Old Post 02-19-03 03:41 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Stealthy Ivan
DM 4 life

Sounded good till I seen legacy... :(
(Not that I have any thing against it, I just dont use it)
It's all about zdoom people...!

Old Post 02-19-03 04:17 #
Stealthy Ivan is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
=/-

Note that Legacy has a software mode, which may appeal more to those who prefer more traditional graphics.

Anyway, it looks like an interesting project, in so far as it is possible to judge from a few screenshots.

Old Post 02-19-03 05:13 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
toxicfluff

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback guys.

Hey Ebola, do you know how to get new hudpics (like the ammo and stuff) to work in Legacy? It keeps crashing legacy on startup.... I do things exactly the same way as in the docs, except I use wintex or XWE instead of NWT. It's goddamn annoying, because I really don't like the legacy hudpics, and I have 3 others on the screen for the new items and the style clashes with legacy's standard pics.

RUST

Old Post 02-19-03 10:16 #
ReX

ToXiCFLUFF said:
Here are some screenshots from my current SP project Rust.
Nice combination of DooM2 and custom textures and flats. Interesting looking map areas. Nice, muted use of Legacy OpenGL lighting effects.

So stop wasting your time on these and other forums, and get back to work. We wants to play it soon ;)

Old Post 02-19-03 13:00 #
ReX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
toxicfluff

Lol. Actually, shit. That's a good point. You know how much time I've been spending on forums recently??? Ah christ, I hadn't really thought about that lol.

Yeah, the textures are pretty good, especially the rock ones (not mine though). You wouldn't believe how long it took to do the cliffs though - Legacy doesn't support textures over 128 in height, so I had to make two 128 high 3d sectors for one continuous instance of the texture.

Still, the legacy hud is abominable in my opinion, so the last question was quite important :D

RUST

Last edited by toxicfluff on 02-19-03 at 14:25

Old Post 02-19-03 14:20 #
DarkWolf

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Hey Ebola, do you know how to get new hudpics (like the ammo and stuff) to work in Legacy? It keeps crashing legacy on startup.... I do things exactly the same way as in the docs, except I use wintex or XWE instead of NWT. It's goddamn annoying, because I really don't like the legacy hudpics, and I have 3 others on the screen for the new items and the style clashes with legacy's standard pics.

Use the LUMPY program to convert from PCX to a suitable lump file, then insert the lump with whatever. You should be able to find it on Legacy's site somewhere.

Old Post 02-19-03 19:39 #
DarkWolf is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

ReX said:
So stop wasting your time on these and other forums, and get back to work. We wants to play it soon ;)

Nasty ReXs always picking on ToXiCFLUFF. We knows ReX has a project he's not finishing don't we precious? We wants it, we needs it.

Consider yourself nagged again, as per instructions. :-)

Last edited by Enjay on 02-19-03 at 22:38

Old Post 02-19-03 22:33 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ReX

Enjay said:
Consider yourself nagged again, as per instructions. :-)
Much appreciated, seņor. You know you'll be the first to see the whole package.

Old Post 02-19-03 23:14 #
ReX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

ToXiCFLUFF said:

You need to use LUMPY for that graphics.. You can find it at my page:

http://frad.slipgate.org/tlep

look in the downloads section.

Old Post 03-04-03 01:32 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
toxicfluff

Thanks a lot... got it working now. Problem is, my hudpics actually look shit. Lol, art isn't my strongpoint.

Anyway, a few new pics although they aren't from very impressive areas - I don't wanna give away all the decent parts in the form of screenshots before I release it.

http://www.geocities.com/toxic_fluff/RUST/rust2.html

Just finished Phobia btw.... that bit with all the floor tiles hanging in the void is AWESOME. It's the coolest looking bit of design I've seen in a Doom map I think. I can't save in Phobia with the current version of legacy either so each jump was unbelievably tense.

A real good map all told, a nice change from the usual Doom style.

RUST

Old Post 03-04-03 13:52 #
rf`
Dr. Nosign

IMO, color #507896 is one of the best ever. :)

Old Post 03-05-03 00:36 #
rf` is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
toxicfluff

Yeah, that is an exceptionally nice shade. I've coloured an area in it now :D

RUST

Old Post 03-05-03 04:29 #
EllipsusD

Those are some damn swank pictures. I don't get around to playing many Doom wads these days, but this is one that I will *******ely play as soon as it's done.

Old Post 03-05-03 05:18 #
EllipsusD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
toxicfluff

Hey, does anyone know of any TC/PC's where I could find a fiery looking projectile? I need something which looks like it could roast you.

RUST

Old Post 03-06-03 14:43 #
Rotting Corpse
Sometimes I fall down

reamber monster placement is veary imprtant. I have seen so many wads that could be great that turned out to be crap cuz they dident take the time to plan out ware every monster is placed in the wad.

Old Post 03-06-03 15:54 #
Rotting Corpse is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

ToXiCFLUFF said:
Hey, does anyone know of any TC/PC's where I could find a fiery looking projectile? I need something which looks like it could roast you.

Lemme make something. I'll let you know when its done. :)
Maybe not. :P

Last edited by rf` on 03-06-03 at 20:49

Old Post 03-06-03 20:20 #
rf` is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
toxicfluff

Ravage: Awww.... I thought my problem had been solved for a minute there :D

Demons hand: Nice sig btw. Anyway, The way I am going with monster placement is to have relatively few monsters, but challengingly placed. My main aim with the indoor portion of Rust is fear, and I feel that you forget to be scared if you are distracted by fighting with loads of enemies. It's scarier sometimes to just be walking around and suddenly hear shooting and screaming echoing down the corridor (random ambient sound system at work).

Also instead of raising the difficulty only by throwing in a shitload more monsters I make the difficulty harder by: a) less items and b)adding more "crush" situations where you have monsters in front and behind you, which I think is the hardest placing of baddies you can face. This way it doesn't feel like sightseeing in the lower skills. Oh yeah the other difference is that you get less help from your buddies. There's a couple of other things, butsome of them are pretty innovative so I can't really say until it's closer to a release date in case the ideas get executed better somewhere else.

All this isn't to say that it's not run + gun gameplay - it is - but it's less than normal and a hell of a lot more scary.

Edit: Oh and on the ammo note, although that Doom64 chainsaw is lovely to look at, you're never going to be forced to use it - I'm aiming to keep the ammo at an avaliability sufficient enough that you never _have_ to use berserk or the chainsaw (which is souped up).

RUST

Last edited by toxicfluff on 03-07-03 at 00:12

Old Post 03-06-03 23:48 #
rf`
Dr. Nosign

TF, I guess PSP did wanna work today. :)

http://www.geocities.com/dragon_69283/fireanid.txt

Old Post 03-07-03 00:34 #
toxicfluff

Excellent, you'll get credit for saving my ass obviously... you don't wanna see the projectile pics I'd drawn for it before :D Funnily enough, it fits the weapon graphic which I'm using to fire it (not new graphics - the unmaker from Doom64) perfectly in style.

Do I have your permission to modify it if I need to?

RUST

Old Post 03-07-03 00:39 #
rf`
Dr. Nosign

ToXiCFLUFF said:
Do I have your permission to modify it if I need to?

:)

Old Post 03-07-03 00:48 #
Kirby X
double secret probation

ToXiCFLUFF said:
Funnily enough, it fits the weapon graphic which I'm using to fire it (not new graphics - the unmaker from Doom64) perfectly in style.

Yeah, I LOVE muzzle flashes that match the colors of the Arch-Vile's flames...

Damnit, why can't Scuba Steve make muzzle flashes in that color? :P

Old Post 03-07-03 01:17 #
Kirby X is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote