Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > How do i make custom Doom games.

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:36. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Doomer_X
Warming Up

Hi, u will probably think im a noob but u all used to be. Well, i am just a noob at this. Can u tell me how to make a custom Doom game please, and what programming language it uses, thanks

Old Post 03-15-03 12:13 #
Doomer_X is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Biffy
Forum Regular

I think you are asking about how to make custom maps for doom. You don't need to know any programming language for that, you need one of the doom map editors. Look here http://www.doomworld.com/links/?category=21 and you will find some links to map editors. Get one like DeePsea or WadAuthor (don't see link for that) which includes tutorials. Give the tutorials a try, also open some custom maps or just open doom.wad or doom2.wad, look at how things are done. After you have one of the editors working and have read some of the tutorials, ask questions in the editing forum here. Good luck, don't get discouraged.

Old Post 03-15-03 13:59 #
Biffy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Torn
google is your master

O_o

Well, doom was wrote in c...

Old Post 03-15-03 14:19 #
Torn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Doomer_X
Warming Up

Thanks a lot m8, i hope the tools are easy to use ;)

Old Post 03-15-03 14:22 #
Doomer_X is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Doomer_X
Warming Up

Sorry i am double posting, but which map maker is best?
I want one that can make games as good as Doom II Goldeneye...thanks

Old Post 03-15-03 14:24 #
Naked Snake
HAHA I AM A FAG AND I CAN'T CHANGE THIS TITLE ANYMORE

If you mean a source port, then look through DW for the original Doom source code, because for the life of me, I can't find it.

Old Post 03-15-03 14:24 #
Naked Snake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

Some good map editors I can think of are Wadauthor, Deepsea, and DCK 3.62. WinTex is good for adding new textures, sprites, and sounds, and Dehacked is good for altering somewhat the behavior of the monsters and other things.

Old Post 03-15-03 14:42 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Doomer_X
Warming Up

Thanks, i have used Wadauthor, but how can i make enemies my own custom enemys, and players custom, and weapons, and everything basically ;)

Old Post 03-15-03 16:46 #
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

Dehacked can do that to some degree, but it does have its limits. For instance, you can replace an enemy sprite with another one, change its health, and modify its behavior (what kind of projectiles, how fast it moves, etc.) and you basically have a whole new enemy. People typically replace the Nazis or that Commander Keen with their own monsters.

Old Post 03-15-03 16:58 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Amaster
Artificial Mechanical Android Skilled in Troubleshooting and Efficient Repair

You could use Dehacked for that. You would also need something like wintex to insert the new graphics.

Old Post 03-15-03 17:00 #
Amaster is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Biffy
Forum Regular

You can use a graphics editor to make or alter the various weapons and enemy sprites, then use one of the editing tools like DeePsea, Wintex or XWE to import them as replacements. You can alter the behavior of enemies and weapons by using a dehacked patch, and these patches can be created with dehacked.exe and also with a text editor (they are text files). Some doom ports like zdoom can load the patches, you do not have to alter doom.exe or doom2.exe with dehacked any more. In fact, you can put a dehacked patch right into the wad and zdoom will read it. I'll bet you can find lots of references about these things from Enjay's web page, http://www.btinternet.com/~Enjay001/

Old Post 03-15-03 17:01 #
Biffy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Doomer_X
Warming Up

Thanks, cya l8a

Old Post 03-15-03 17:15 #
Doomer_X
Warming Up

I have to say that most of the programs are crap, i think it was Wintex where i tried to edit the DooM title screen and it took ages.
After that an error message appeared saying it cant save. Lousy @%&$ program..........................

Old Post 03-16-03 11:06 #
Erik

heh

Old Post 03-16-03 11:58 #
Erik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

Funny, never happened to me..

Old Post 03-16-03 12:43 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Trasher][
The game is not well!

Doomer_X said:
I have to say that most of the programs are crap, i think it was Wintex where i tried to edit the DooM title screen and it took ages.
After that an error message appeared saying it cant save. Lousy @%&$ program..........................

Odd. I have NEVER, NEVER had a problem with Wintex. Were you trying to edit doom2.wad or doom.wad? There's your problem, you need to make a new wad.

Old Post 03-16-03 13:21 #
Trasher][ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Stealthy Ivan
DM 4 life

Well..... You could always check out DeePSea!
It is a really simple map editing program, So a noob should not really have any trouble figuring it out...

Old Post 03-17-03 04:26 #
Stealthy Ivan is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
el zee
killer without a cause

I reckon the easiest editor for a newbie is DCK by ben morris?
It was the first 1 I used - was only 9yrs old!

i made a room full of zombieguys and like 20 BFGs - hehehe

Old Post 03-17-03 08:28 #
el zee is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Doomer_X
Warming Up

*sigh*..........i tried DCK and the message "This DPMI32 module cannot be run on Win32" appeared... :(

Old Post 03-18-03 17:49 #
DarkWolf

I remember starting out with DEU and NWT. When you figure out those, anything else is a piece of cake.

Old Post 03-18-03 18:04 #
DarkWolf is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote