Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Metroid fans unite!

Just a thought: In Metroid, when you switch between the various types of missles, as you know, you don't switch guns. There's a little clicking sound and then you're able to fire missles or super missles. How would this be done for the TC, out of curiosity?

DooMBoy said:

Just a thought: In Metroid, when you switch between the various types of missles, as you know, you don't switch guns. There's a little clicking sound and then you're able to fire missles or super missles. How would this be done for the TC, out of curiosity?

My bet is missiles would just be a stand-alone weapon.

OK, but what about the other stuff? Super Missles, Power Bombs, the X-Ray scope, Grappling Beam, etc.?

DooMBoy said:

OK, but what about the other stuff? Super Missles, Power Bombs, the X-Ray scope, Grappling Beam, etc.?

Heh, I wouldn't count on it.

You know, with the right ammount of deh, you can make the game fire a weapon you just selected and then restore it to being what you want it to be. I've done it once when I made a sword mod for myself where pressing 1 to 4 would do a diffrent move and then you could attack normally. Quite a cool trick. Dunno how well it would work in this case, but oh well. :)

You could just have it that when you 'switch' weapons, have the next weapon sprites do some kind of animation and change the raising of the gun thingy to 0 so it looks like the gun never moved but just fliped open/opened up/exploded (also a lot easier then my first idea). :)

Oh, I made a quick brain sprite (30 mins) that might be useful and/or inspiring... and I was bored. :)

http://testzero.keenspace.com/images/Brain1.jpg

Also made a Doom Marine 'smiley'.

http://testzero.keenspace.com/images/MarineS.jpg

Has nothing to do with the topic at hand but I made it around the same time as the 'brain'. ^^;

Anyways, I gotta hide under my rock for another month. :)

I would imagine you could do it with scripting. I've made quite a few new weapons with fragglescript... I dunno with ACS, but it's probably possible.

Fredrik said:

For fun and profit, I started working on a handcannon sprite. Here's a protoype:

Well done, Fredrik, btw.

ravage said:

Can I be a junior beta-tester? :)

Sure.

Newest Roster:

Sprites - Job, Imp, Lord FlatHead, mmnpsrsoskl, BlueSonnet, Fredrik, Silverwyvern

Scripting/etc - Ichor, Black Void, mmnpsrsoskl, Fredrik *possibly*

Music - Ubik, Ed, mmnpsrsoskl, Fredrik

Textures - Job, koolkat, Lord FlatHead, mmnpsrsoskl, BlueSonnet, Fredrik, Assmaster, Silverwyvern

Sounds - mmnpsrsoskl, FirebrandX

Maps - Black Void, Epyo, Fredrik, ellmo

Miscellaneous (concepts, etc) - Job, Lord FlatHead, Ichor, mmnpsrsoskl

Beta Testing - koolkat, DoomBoy(Senior Beta Tester),CacodemonLeader, Ravage (Junior Beta Tester)

Samus' Arm - Scuba Steve

Website - Assmaster

Waiting in the wings:Tormentor667,Gatewatcher, Ultimate DooMer, Disorder, Baron of Sigma, Brad_tilf

...see any errors?

Scuba Steve said:

Please, Dear God... let me visit some old areas from old metroid games... like Super Metroid did.... in the name of all that is holy.

That would definitely be cool. Like you could have a water level that would be in the setting of the Maridia (I think that's right) world from Super Metroid. I'd offer to help with making the maps, but I'm a newbie at mapping and don't know anything about doing the more complicated stuff (like underwater).
Also, are you guys planning on using the music (or an arrangement of) from the original games? That would be really cool...I wonder if anyone would mind...

Scuba Steve said:

Please, Dear God... let me visit some old areas from old metroid games... like Super Metroid did.... in the name of all that is holy.

Definitely. The plan is to revisit places like Norfair, Maridia (if we can make a water-based environment), and a new version of the wrecked ship for example. With the same music as the original, perhaps with some new arrangements. Of course there'll be new places to explore too. Sound good? :D

I especially want to see the old Motherbrain case and stuff. Plus a level of Samus's Ship would rock. A little sub level to return to like you could ingame.

Job said:

Definitely. The plan is to revisit places like Norfair, Maridia (if we can make a water-based environment), and a new version of the wrecked ship for example. With the same music as the original, perhaps with some new arrangements. Of course there'll be new places to explore too. Sound good? :D

Sounds very nice. You have to Crateria in there too!

I've never played that second metroid, I better go try it out.

EDIT: I mean, third Metroid.

okee.. I was told to go here... and read..

and I'm idling on irc in a room alone with fredrik..

what can I do?

;)

seems everyone toom all the fun ones.

Silverwyvern said:

okee.. I was told to go here... and read..

and I'm idling on irc in a room alone with fredrik..

what can I do?

;)

seems everyone toom all the fun ones.

You can do whatever you like, really -- even though there are people signed up for various tasks, we don't mind dividing the work further. And if you have a specific task that's not already listed, just let me know what it is and I can sign you up for it.

well.. the only things I CAN do remotely well are graphics.. mapping, coding, making things work.. thats not what I do best.

so.. sprites and maybe some textures... I'd suggest fredrik do ALL the freaken weapons though..

;)

sprites would prolly be the best bet... maybe some webpage stuff.
Put me where you need me basically ;)

Silverwyvern said:

well.. the only things I CAN do remotely well are graphics.. mapping, coding, making things work.. thats not what I do best.

so.. sprites and maybe some textures... I'd suggest fredrik do ALL the freaken weapons though..

;)

sprites would prolly be the best bet... maybe some webpage stuff.
Put me where you need me basically ;)

Can do. :)

Job said:

Definitely. The plan is to revisit places like Norfair, Maridia (if we can make a water-based environment), and a new version of the wrecked ship for example.

Should be doable with ZDoom, although you'd probably be better off using water teleporting (Duke-style) rather than Transfer_Heights.

Actually, if you do water, don't do the new water (where you can swim around in). Remember that the main character is wearing a 1 ton suit of armor, it ain't gonna be swiming. But it would be a good idea to do it like the games where being under water is just less gravity. Oh, and you can make the friction worse in water too so it makes it harder to move around. Then you can make a script that changes the friction back to normal when you get the gravity suit. :)

Yeah, I already thought about that. I think the most obvious solution would be to make water sectors normal sectors (so you can't swim in them), and make them gravity-less when the player gets gravity.

True, but if you put in the chasecam command at the console you would :P

DooMBoy said:

True, but if you put in the chasecam command at the console you would :P

Good point -- do we want any of that chasecam Jazz? (Metroid Prime style)

Scuba Steve said:

I especially want to see the old Motherbrain case and stuff. Plus a level of Samus's Ship would rock. A little sub level to return to like you could ingame.

Good call - though in Super Metroid she just kind of went in it...even in Metroid Prime. Do you mean she should be able to actually see the inside of the ship?

Job said:

Good point -- do we want any of that chasecam Jazz? (Metroid Prime style)

If possible, I think this would be a pretty cool feature.

Lord FlatHead said:

If possible, I think this would be a pretty cool feature.

I'm inclined to agree -- but when would we want to employ it? That's the question. Also, I was playing Metroid Prime last night and I realized that the revenant could easily be replaced by the flying space pirate (since they both have homing missiles)...excpet the revenant doesn't fly. : / Second, I wonder if/how/if possible we can maybe execute making a morph ball mode. That one really has me tied in knots.

Getting a revenant to fly can be done with Dehacked.

Morph ball mode, don't think we should try.

Another question, how to do doors? Open by shooting or open by activating? :) I guess someone should get started designing and scripting a standard door.