Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomer_X

Hey, i am new to making WADS, but my first project will be a Metal Gear Solid DOOM

Hi guys, i am new to making WADS, but i dont want to be known as a "n00b". I have just retired (if thats the word lol) from making fangames after about 3 years, but i want to move onto something new knowing i can make anything with the right tools......
I want to make a Metal Gear Solid WAD that uses Boom and features new sprites, levels, and enemys+weapons. This may be a difficult task, but i am going to try really hard to do this. When you first saw the writing "Metal Gear Solid" you probably thought "Metal Gear Solid....WTF? Thats a stealth game..not a blast the hell out of everything game...." I am making it like this because i think MGS would suit the mood, but i need to know what tools would go best for...

*new enemys, weapons, well....everything
*new level layout
*compatible with BOOM
*Maybe new behaviours (i dont want to go as far as source codes, thats too hard)

If you could tell me the perfect tools (preferably freeware) that would be really nice, and soon i should be good at designing WADS, like the way i learnt to make other programs....anyway, thanks and please tell me the most helpful tools :)

Oh dear lord, you poor soul. Good luck with that, no offense but you ain't got a snowball's chance in hell. Sorry if that discourages you, but geez, man.

XWE- for changing wad resources(sprites sounds etc.)
Wadauthor or Deep - for editing levels: shareware

To add new enemies and weapons I would recommend Edge instead of Boom.

Doomer_X said:

...i need to know what tools would go best for...

1. new enemys, weapons, well....everything
    2. new level layout
    3. compatible with BOOM
    4. Maybe new behaviours

The key word here being free. Check out XWE, which is a free multi-function utility. It will enable you to create your own BooM-compatible levels, and manipulate (insert, delete, move, rename, etc.) the elements of your wad file (such as graphics, sounds, music).

Also check out DeHacked, which will enable you to create new enemies, weapons, and behavior. Check out Enjay's Little Place of DooM for excellent DeHacked tutorials. Also check out BEX, which is a BooM extension of DeHacked. Info also available at Enjay's site.

GameArena said:

Just be careful, infringing copyrights can cost you your life ;)

I'm pretty sure it's okay as long as you don't market the wad for commercial use. I think...

Job said:

I'm pretty sure it's okay as long as you don't market the wad for commercial use. I think...

heh, i hope so considering there's like 5000 different TCs out there (of which 4980 are probably unfinished :P)

Hey, thanks a lot for your help so far guys, i am gonna work until i can get a good first map for a beta test to show you, eventually, but if anyone else could suggest more programs that would help, thanks :)

Incredible! Personally, if you really want my opinion, I'd suggest you don't do "projects" (ESPECIALLY TC/PCs) until you've done a few maps. I've done a couple dozen maps or so (about 6 were released) and I'm working on a mod right now and it's still a little rough for me. If you think you can do it, go ahead, but that's a bit much to start with isn't it?

On second thought, you'll have to give Doom a major overhaul as the gameplay style of Doom and the gameplay style of Metal Gear Solid vary by entire worlds. But if you believe that you can do it, more power to you.

Nanami said:

Incredible! Personally, if you really want my opinion, I'd suggest you don't do "projects" (ESPECIALLY TC/PCs) until you've done a few maps. I've done a couple dozen maps or so (about 6 were released) and I'm working on a mod right now and it's still a little rough for me. If you think you can do it, go ahead, but that's a bit much to start with isn't it?

Yeah, i may make a few maps first, afterall, practice makes perfect :)

Job said:

On second thought, you'll have to give Doom a major overhaul as the gameplay style of Doom and the gameplay style of Metal Gear Solid vary by entire worlds. But if you believe that you can do it, more power to you.

The game wont have the exact gameplay style of MGS...
My impression was like the parts in Metal Gear Solid 2 when you go into first person mode and have to blast a load of enemies

Sorry this is a double post, but i need help, this will be my only double post, anyway, to the topic..............
On XWE it is my first time using it, and it seems to be a pretty useful program, i can open up image files for starters, and zoom in as well as getting out the pallette but how do i edit stuff?

sargebaldy said:

heh, i hope so considering there's like 5000 different TCs out there (of which 4980 are probably unfinished :P)

yeah sargebaldy.
and sorry for say this, Doomer_X, but I don't think that mod will get finish, :(.

Doomer_X said:

.....but how do i edit stuff?

Specify what you mean by "stuff". Are you talking about the graphics? If so, I believe you'll need to save the image to a file (bitmap format is preferred, as it can then be re-inserted into your wad after editing), and use an external graphics editing program. MS Paint, while being a rudimentary program, comes free with Windows OS and is more than adequate to edit the 256-color images that DooM uses.

If you're talking about editing maps, scripts, or other lumps in the wad just ask here.

sargebaldy said:

Haha! I'm not in the unfinished projects number range! :p Back on topic...

Well, if you really feel ambition towards getting that project done, just get a website up or something describing the projects layout and plans or something... I dunno, but it seems like a good idea to me. :/

If I'm not mistaken, someone tried this before. But they quit working on it. They never released anything but screenshots.

Three reasons this will be very hard to do:

1. First person stealth? Not easy. Trust me, i've tried.

2. The Doom engine is going to need lots of new code.

3. It'll take hours to make the textures look right.

Don't even THINK about making a mod until you've made a few good levels! I swear to God, if I see one more promising TC with incredibly crappy level design, I'll go on a rampage and slaughter thousands of innocent Commander Keen sprites!