Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GooberMan

GooberMan's semi-retirement from mapping

Yup, for those that care, you read the topic right. A few of you might know that I have little time to myself nowadays. Living 100km away from work does that. 2 hours on the train each way sucks. Rather than saying "yeah I'll get to working on this map one day," I'd rather just semi-retire and pick it up again when I've got some time to myself. I still have quite a few maps that I'd like to make, and I want to finish the Gateway Experiments completely, so when I've got the time I'll get back to it. I'll update the Doom Arcade page soon with a full story for those that are interested.

sorry to hear that. I usually have very little time to myself, so i know how fustrating it is (my solution was to abondon that weird concept that people refer to as sleep). Have you thought about buying a cheap laptop, 4 hours on a train sounds like 4 hours of designing time to me (assuming you can sit somewhere suitable and are not afraid of being mugged for the laptop).

Damn, hope you can find a place in Brissy soon, that sucks, the train part :/

Good to see you post again though :)

'Tis a shame that we won't get to see your innovation at work, GooberMan. I can understand a little of what you are going through. I used to have an hour-long commute each way, and that left me with little time, energy, and enthusiasm for extracurricular activities.

Russell_P has a good idea there, regarding a laptop. I do some job-related travel from time to time, and I always take my laptop. Even manage to accomplish quite a bit, mostly while waiting at airports, while on the planes, and at the hotels after hours.

Awww. That sucks. Hope you don't die on us. Trains are just as dangerous as cars. :P

So what are you saying? Real life and career are more important than a Doom map? Shame one you. :-)

Actually, since that e-mail you sent me some months ago I've been expecting this, and I'm surprised it has taken so long. I'm sure you'll hang around and contribute whenever you can.

The laptop on the train idea sounds like a good one, but after a hard day working, so does sleeping on the train. I used to do a 90 minute each way commute a few years back. It starts to get on top of you after a while (I used to take the train, but ended up having to drive after the train timetable was changed). It didn't seem too long when I first made the commitment, and was a keen employee in a new job. Now that my commute is only 20 minutes or so, I dunno how I ever did the long one.

See yah around.

It's not a permanent thing. I'll be back, just don't know when. Would be a shame not to update SSO with the MIDI's Hyena made and the MIDI's he'll be making for the rest of the series, so I've gotta get them done :)

I recently got myself a GBA SP to while away the time on the train. Laptop's a bit beyond my price range at the moment (my bank account currently sits at $0 as my dad needed some money and I had bout $1500 in there). I've also got to get a new monitor, my old 21" is dieing (consider the black part of the screen, and imagine that as being white and that's what my monitor is dieing from... I'm gonna go out somewhere remote-ish and blow it up to give it a final farewell :) ).

And I'm still kinda surprised people responded to this thread. While my maps have had some success, they're still kinda underground hits - hardly anyone reccommends my maps in their "must download maps" list. Which is fine by me BTW - I don't aim to please everyone out there, just do something different and see who likes it.

GooberMan said:

And I'm still kinda surprised people responded to this thread.

Dude, you're awesome. Don't be suprised, your maps are schweet and you have what many people here would consider a dream job.

GooberMan said:

While my maps have had some success, they're still kinda underground hits - hardly anyone reccommends my maps in their "must download maps" list.

Well, if you consider innovation as a measure of success, then I'd have to say your work is wildly successful. The same is true of some of Nigel's work (I've also had the pleasure of playing some of his unreleased stuff, and it rocks.) and LWM's wads.

Well, I really enjoyed the projects of your's that I have played (D: Arcade and SSO). In some areas SSO was an inspiration for my current main project Rust.

Anyway, I'm not really gonna say much more because I don't know you very well, but I hope you find time to get the next installment of SSO out at some point in the future and look forward to it.

Trasher][ said:
Don't be suprised, your maps are schweet and you have what many people here would consider a dream job.

Yeah I'll be in the cold cold ground before I end up in the video game industry. Good luck and check in from time to time!

Use3D said:

Yeah I'll be in the cold cold ground before I end up in the video game industry. Good luck and check in from time to time!

Not me, I hope. Depends on how well I do on this project (which I still know next to nothing about yet). (un-doom related) :P