Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > What makes a bad TC?
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:47. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mancubus II
Purple is not a breakfast color

Well, this is my first thread on DW EVAR, so here it goes.

What would be the WORST idea for a TC ever? Rather than making this a poll, I'd like to get some reactions, as there have been many in #skulltag (on freenode, go there). Some ideas that have been tossed about : Matrix Reloaded and War3. Matrix for obvious reasons of course.

What do I mean by obvious? I mean, implementing so much new stuff (i.e. ALL NEW SPRITES, new textures, weapons, scripting, et al) that it wouldn't be nearly feasable today.

What say ye? Discuss.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I mean for doom.

Last edited by Mancubus II on 05-26-03 at 21:09

Old Post 05-26-03 20:56 #
Mancubus II is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Erik

props to all logged in trolls!

Old Post 05-26-03 21:00 #
Erik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
pritch
Super Moderator

Why was this post helled?

Old Post 05-26-03 21:08 #
pritch is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

i think a mod in which you played the role of barbie trying to save ken through nonviolent means would be a pretty lame idea for a tc.

err, unless you mean what it is that necessarily makes a tc a bad idea? well, the idea of making a TC is a bad idea if you're not willing to do lots and lots of art for it yourself.

Old Post 05-26-03 21:08 #
sargebaldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cyb

pokemon doom!

also I bet if someone made a lord of the rings map that would suck too.

Old Post 05-26-03 21:13 #
Cyb is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
pritch
Super Moderator

Yeah I think it is important first of all to appreciate that even if you're in charge, everyone's submissions need fair hearing.

Ultimately though, people must accept teh final say of the one in charge, otherwise the very nature of internet cooperation is unworkable, and pointless.

Old Post 05-26-03 21:14 #
pritch is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mancubus II

Cyb said:
pokemon doom!

This hasn't been made yet?

Old Post 05-26-03 21:14 #
Mancubus II is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

Cyb said:

if someone did that they'd be ridiculed out of the doom community i think.

Old Post 05-26-03 21:31 #
sargebaldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

Someone already has made a Lord of the Rings map. Remember Helm's Deep?

Old Post 05-26-03 21:34 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

Ichor said:
Someone already has made a Lord of the Rings map. Remember Helm's Deep?

heh, your sarcasm meter must be broken =P look who made the first post about it.

Old Post 05-26-03 21:35 #
Scuba Steve

Elton John DooM

http://www.doomworld.com/gbd2/misc/eltondoom.gif

Fist: Pink jacket and frills
Pistol: Hands on a Piano, kill demon's with Pop/Rock hits such as Philadelphia Feedom and Crockodile Rock.
Rocket Launcher: I'll make up crap for the rest later...

Old Post 05-26-03 21:38 #
Scuba Steve is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
timmie
2 legit 2 quit!

Iron Chef the TC

Your goal is to move ingredients between two counters for an hour. Timing is critical because you lose points if your timing is off and you're competing against the computer!

Old Post 05-26-03 21:38 #
timmie is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cyb

Scuba Steve said:
Elton John DooM

GODDAMNIT SCUBA STEVE YOU STOLE MY IDEA!

Old Post 05-26-03 21:45 #
Mancubus II

timmie said:
Iron Chef the TC

Your goal is to move ingredients between two counters for an hour. Timing is critical because you lose points if your timing is off and you're competing against the computer!

This one is winning so far.

This would of course be a JDOOM exclusive! :P

Old Post 05-26-03 21:45 #
Amaster
Artificial Mechanical Android Skilled in Troubleshooting and Efficient Repair

timmie said:
Iron Chef the TC

That would so rule.

I dont think there are any conepts which are inherrently bad. Even the Barbie saving Ken example could be good if done properly. It's all in the execution.

Old Post 05-26-03 21:48 #
Amaster is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

Degenatron TC

Old Post 05-26-03 21:58 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mancubus II

Assmaster said:
That would so rule.

I dont think there are any conepts which are inherrently bad. Even the Barbie saving Ken example could be good if done properly. It's all in the execution.

I believe that, strictly in the doom context and the limitations that brings, that things like a Matrix mod really wouldn't be worth the effort for the results.

I think I like the Iron Chef TC approach, what about Real World TC?

Old Post 05-26-03 21:58 #
Amaster
Artificial Mechanical Android Skilled in Troubleshooting and Efficient Repair

Mancubus II said:

I believe that, strictly in the doom context and the limitations that brings, that things like a Matrix mod really wouldn't be worth the effort for the results.

It's worth it if it's fun.

Old Post 05-26-03 22:00 #
Amaster is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DemonDemon

Assmaster said:
It's all in the execution.

Bwa ha ha ha!!! It's the Evil Villian TC where you take the hero and put him/her in an elaborate trap that no one could ever get out of, tell them your entire plan and then leave knowing full well that he could never figure out to push the button to stop the laser from carving him a few new ones and escape to stop your evil plans (again). :)

They're actually making a game based on this. That is so cool. :D

"If you mean beat down an old guy and steal his tickets buying, yes. We bought them. We bought the hell out of them." - Tails (Thats my sonic ep 217)

"TOMAYTOOZ!!!! *smack* K0RNN!!11!1!!!! *thunk!* LAYYZDR GNU!!!!!!! *zapzapzapzapBOOM!*" Good Kitty - ARFENHOUSE: THE MOVIE 2

Old Post 05-26-03 22:00 #
DemonDemon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Erik

gah, there was no need to un-post-hell this useless topic...

Old Post 05-26-03 22:53 #
Erik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
deathbringer
Post invalidated by first word being "uhhh"

uhhhhhhhhh

I know...B squad DooM, all the demons that werent badass enough to make it into the real game!

Former shoeman-Can give your combat boots a killer shining if youre not careful
Popgun guy-Those corks can be deadly!,well, give you a nasty bruise at close range (like 1cm)
Limp-Ugly brown demon that hobbles about on a zimmer frame going "when i where't lad all this where brimstone"
Cow demon-Will tear your head off, if you somehow turn into a blade of grass anyway, vunerable to being tipped over
SPEKTER-z-list 60's actor who can put on a fake russian accent for his big part as 'guard #7' in a bond movie
Cack-o-demon-You dont wanna know
Lost mole-Totally harmless, its a small furry creature that walks round with a map scratching its head
The spider retard-Couldnt hit the side of a barn if it was inside the barn
The cipher demon-Talks in code, and,er, thats it

Old Post 05-27-03 17:32 #
deathbringer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Black Void

I'll tell you what would make a bad TC - one that was based on Chex Cereal - oh wait. That already happened...

Old Post 05-27-03 21:11 #
Black Void is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
insertwackynamehere
The Chewbacca defense gone nightmare

I think that no TC is bad; some people might not enjoy it, but others will. The only bad TC is one that no one, not even the author themself, likes.

Old Post 05-27-03 21:21 #
insertwackynamehere is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mancubus II

deathbringer said:
I know...B squad DooM, all the demons that werent badass enough to make it into the real game!

Former shoeman-Can give your combat boots a killer shining if youre not careful
Popgun guy-Those corks can be deadly!,well, give you a nasty bruise at close range (like 1cm)
Limp-Ugly brown demon that hobbles about on a zimmer frame going "when i where't lad all this where brimstone"
Cow demon-Will tear your head off, if you somehow turn into a blade of grass anyway, vunerable to being tipped over
SPEKTER-z-list 60's actor who can put on a fake russian accent for his big part as 'guard #7' in a bond movie
Cack-o-demon-You dont wanna know
Lost mole-Totally harmless, its a small furry creature that walks round with a map scratching its head
The spider retard-Couldnt hit the side of a barn if it was inside the barn
The cipher demon-Talks in code, and,er, thats it

I say there, you may be on to something!

Old Post 05-27-03 21:31 #
Epyo
Dude

Cyb said:
pokemon doom!

Heh, where IS LizardCommando these days anyway?

Okay here's an idea -- how about a ZDooM PC where you star as a Mancubus on a ship trying to kill the devil and then...

Alright, serious now, how about another ZdooM wad where you get to play the classic game of SNAKE! HAHHAHAH that's been done too.

Okay, how about pac-man, that'd be cool right? Yeah...

Old Post 05-28-03 01:08 #
Epyo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
deathbringer
Post invalidated by first word being "uhhh"

uhhhhhh

Bergerac DooM, you get to run about on jersey foiling the plans of over the top villans who have nicked a mars bar from a corner shop or something, and they usually get away in the end anyway XD

Old Post 05-28-03 09:58 #
deathbringer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Trasher][
The game is not well!

Maybe BorDooM, where you lounge around at home watching TV and ordering pizza.

Naaah, B-List doom's winning so far.

Old Post 05-28-03 10:01 #
Trasher][ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cyb

Erik said:
gah, there was no need to un-post-hell this useless topic...

I don't see why it was phed in the first place

Old Post 05-28-03 18:41 #
999cop
Constrained Owing to Lot

The theme is the priority of all TCs

Old Post 05-28-03 18:51 #
999cop is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Linguica

I think WombDoom, where you play an unborn fetus fighting off placental infections and rusty coathangers, would be fairly awful.

Old Post 05-28-03 22:11 #
Linguica is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote