Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Large doom levels

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:07. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
player

I tried this cool doom level but i forgot what it was called, it had like i estimate 1600 sectors or something and it took a long time for me to complete but it wasn't recommended in plain vanilla doom

What would some cool wads be that would take a person 30 to 60 minutes to complete ?

Old Post 06-14-03 19:28 #
player is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

Vrack2 maybe?

What kind of theme had the wad?

Old Post 06-14-03 19:32 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
player

oh yea that one is where the player is on the space station and has to collect like all the keys to access different areas

Old Post 06-14-03 19:49 #
player is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shaviro
Team Future Chief

Alien Vendetta Map 20.

Old Post 06-14-03 19:56 #
Shaviro is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Torn
google is your master

player said:
oh yea that one is where the player is on the space station and has to collect like all the keys to access different areas

Omg, what can it be. Collect keys, in a doom map. Damn, it is new stuff, I don't know what wad it is. Vrack?

Old Post 06-14-03 19:58 #
Torn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Isle
I LOVE YOU LINGUICA

man whos the bad

Old Post 06-14-03 19:59 #
Isle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Torn
google is your master

Isle said:
man whos the bad

your mom.

Old Post 06-14-03 20:09 #
Torn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mancubus II
Purple is not a breakfast color

There's only 4352345374528364590784 that fit that description.

Old Post 06-14-03 20:10 #
Mancubus II is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

player said:
What would some cool wads be that would take a person 30 to 60 minutes to complete ?

There's just been a load of maps like that released - lets see: Community Chest maps 12, 13, 15, 18, 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 29.

Old Post 06-14-03 20:25 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

ehehe, Ultimate beat me to it!

Old Post 06-14-03 20:28 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

player said:
Heh yeah, congratulations for just describing three out of four Doom levels ever made :)

Old Post 06-14-03 20:32 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

Eternal had a lot of large maps, though if you don't like complexity (lots of switches to press, etc.), then some of the maps may not appeal. Some of the maps in HR (e.g. 11, 18, 22, 23, 24, 26) take a long time, especially if you want to kill everything or don't want to use (or don't know) the shortcut tricks - there the main obstacles are hoardes of monsters. Some wads by Alex Parsons take some doing too. Jim Flynn's wads are highly recommended if you like big complex maps, though some of these can be done fairly quickly if you know how. License to Spell Doom (007LTSD) should keep you busy for a few hours too. Oh yes, and some maps in the oneweek megawad, and some of the later maps in 10sector (don't be fooled by the fact that there are only ten sectors used - that does not mean the maps are simple).

A search using http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?search should locate all the wads mentioned above, with the exception of the Flynn wads, for which I gave a link.

I can also suggest you visit DSDA and look for maps where the max demos take more than, say, 20 minutes - that might suggest the map could take about an hour on a first-play.

Last edited by Grazza on 06-14-03 at 21:23

Old Post 06-14-03 21:15 #
Grazza is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Graf Zahl
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Let's not forget Phobos:Anomaly Reborn. Although here it is mainly the insane amount of detail that makes the maps large.

Another highly recommended one is demonizd.wad. (Requires Boom or compatible engine)

Old Post 06-14-03 21:20 #
Graf Zahl is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Russell_P
www.duellist.net

<cough>Null Space<cough> has a little over 1600 sectors and takes around an hour to complete IIRC

Old Post 06-14-03 22:48 #
Russell_P is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Epyo
Dude

Big maps make me barf.

Old Post 06-14-03 23:27 #
Epyo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

Epyo said:
Big maps make me barf.

Yeah me too. I hate Eternal Doom. I like short to medium long maps best ^_^

Old Post 06-15-03 00:46 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

I made a map called "No Quarter" that was pretty massive and you had to get all the keys.

Here's the text file.

Old Post 06-15-03 01:15 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

boris said:

Yeah me too. I hate Eternal Doom. I like short to medium long maps best ^_^

Meh, I don't like short levels. Maybe one or two out of every wad are okay, but then there's Scythe, which everyone apparently absolutely loved except for me. The level design was fantastic, the gameplay was awesome.....but the levels were just too short. I can't really get into the game if the levels are that short. No offense to Erik, he's a great mapper, but I just don't like short levels.

Old Post 06-15-03 01:19 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer

Nowadays I prefer medium/large maps (20-30 minutes), as most midi tunes can get annoying after 40 odd minutes and I don't like wasting most/all of a music album on one map. If the maps have lots of ambient sounds (Dark 7/mp1, Slipgate/Dissolution, Herian 2 and especially LTSD) then I play them with no tunes and I don't mind if they're huge.

Old Post 06-15-03 01:40 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
SmellyOgre

Big maps suck, Massive maps suck even worse. An hour to complete a map is ********** to me, it's a waste of time. Your hands go numb and all the sudden a cyberdemon pops out and you die.

Old Post 06-15-03 06:03 #
SmellyOgre is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shaviro
Team Future Chief

SmellyOgre said:
Big maps suck, Massive maps suck even worse. An hour to complete a map is ********** to me, it's a waste of time. Your hands go numb and all the sudden a cyberdemon pops out and you die.

There is this function called "Save game".

Old Post 06-15-03 07:51 #
Shaviro is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag

Shaviro said:

There is this function called "Save game".

Shit, you mean I spent 22 consecutive hours trying to beat Doom2 for nothing?

Old Post 06-15-03 08:47 #
CacodemonLeader
Powerslave Fanatic

I remember playing an Ultimate Doom WAD called continuous wave (cwave.wad). The level was incredibly long and big, and imo, one of the few levels to have alot of sectors, sidedefs, you name it.

You can find it here:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11055

Old Post 06-15-03 15:31 #
CacodemonLeader is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nanami
not a woman

Big maps are okay if done right. Like if you have to backtrack over lots of area it's going to suck, but if you can keep the gameplay going it'll work fine.

Me though, I prefer tiny to small levels.

Old Post 06-15-03 16:35 #
Nanami is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Chris Hansen
(used to be c-cooper)

http://home13.inet.tele.dk/CNH/helpself.zip

Now go away!

Old Post 06-15-03 17:43 #
Chris Hansen is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cyb

it depends on how the large level is done. eternal doom == boring, vrack2 and helpyourselfish == fun, in my opinion anyways

Old Post 06-16-03 01:59 #
Cyb is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer

While we're on the subject of huge maps, does anyone know how many sectors there are in map 29 of CC? (I can't open it in WA)

Old Post 06-16-03 11:08 #
The Flange Peddler

Windeu 5.24 says: 1421 sectors, 24715 sidedefs, 14950 linedefs, 11621 vertices and 2727 things.

I thught it might have had more to be honest ...

Old Post 06-16-03 11:13 #
The Flange Peddler is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
player

hmm... i like vrack2 its a fun level especially since i made a deh where i made most the enemies abit harder to kill but since i can't use dehacked in windows mode i cant modify the weapons

Old Post 06-16-03 22:15 #