Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > A bit of a twist this time...

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:17. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ubik
Forum Regular

First off, this isn't a conversion for Doom itself, but a conversion for another game involving Doom. What I want to do is create a TC for Starcraft, changing one of the races entirely into Doom's demons.

Just to clarify, I'm not asking somebody to do this for me :) I've already got a lot of the basic unit properties and tech tree laid out, and I've come up with ways to maintain the basic functions of each Doom monster without having to totally rebuild the structure of Starcraft (there's also a SC mod community out there too). I can do all the sound and unit/structure property editing, and probably the final compilation into a Starcraft CWAD. The main thing I do need help with, however, is graphical work. Considering SC works at a 45 degree top-down angle, and Doom's sprites are rendered entirely first-person, simply converting the sprites won't work right... My thought is, if totally new graphics are out of the question, it may be possible to screencap the jDoom MD2 models in their necessary frames of animation in the 8 cardinal directions, edit those screencaps for clarity and such, convert them to the Starcraft palette and chuck them into .grp files.

This is all prelim work, though, and so far I have the basic ideas and the units and tech tree down: go here for what I've done so far. I've decided that Lost Souls should be the equivalent of Probes, as they have no use as air attack units; Pain Elementals and Arch-Viles are both to be spellcasters, although the AV will still have a line-of-sight attack (using the Siege Tank animation for the actual hits). If any of this is of interest to you, let me know - I've talked with one or two people already who are interested in helping in one way or another.

Old Post 06-15-03 01:18 #
Ubik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Job
Forum Legend

Very nice idea. I'd like to do what I can to assist.

Old Post 06-15-03 01:23 #
Job is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Julian

Check your damn pms Ubik.

Old Post 06-15-03 01:27 #
Julian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Rubilacxe
Doomworld's Wad Ripper

thats a VERY cool idea :) Excited to hear more whenever new news comes in.

WhamNinjaMolehill <-- check out my YouTube Channel

Old Post 06-15-03 03:12 #
Rubilacxe is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
toxicfluff

Nice idea Ubik, I love SC. I won't be any use for this however, as I know nothing about SC editing beyond the campain/mission editor - I didn't even know you could properly modify the game.

RUST

Old Post 06-15-03 03:16 #
toxicfluff is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ubik
Forum Regular

ToXiCFLUFF said:
Nice idea Ubik, I love SC. I won't be any use for this however, as I know nothing about SC editing beyond the campain/mission editor - I didn't even know you could properly modify the game.

http://www.campaigncreations.org/st...ams/index.shtml

Those are pretty much all the programs necessary :) Like I said, I can do everything sound and unit/techtree-behaviorwise that's necessary, the graphics are the only thing I have a problem with.

*Excuse my typing, I'm not entrely sober tonight :D

Old Post 06-15-03 06:36 #
Ubik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Rellik
Knock Knock
Who's there?

Here's a program a buddy of mine Derek made for taking screen captures of MD2's. I'm not 100% sure it works with the newest models, AFAIK it'll work with any MD2. I haven't tried it out myself yet.

http://cs.uakron.edu/~unix206/temp/mdlv2.zip

Old Post 06-15-03 15:22 #
Rellik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ubik
Forum Regular

Rellik said:
Here's a program a buddy of mine Derek made for taking screen captures of MD2's. I'm not 100% sure it works with the newest models, AFAIK it'll work with any MD2. I haven't tried it out myself yet.

http://cs.uakron.edu/~unix206/temp/mdlv2.zip

Doesn't seem to work with MD2s, but thanks anyway.

I found another program, but I'll only be able to do the simpler models with that - it only loads single models, and many of the Doom MD2 models are composed of several different ones.

Still looking for graphical help if anybody's interested.

Old Post 06-19-03 17:43 #
toxicfluff

Ubik: I'm gonna try out some of those programs, and I reckon I might be of some help with the enemy graphics. I'll see.

RUST

Old Post 06-19-03 17:56 #
toxicfluff is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote