Severed bunny head
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > What happens when you get carried away with ACS...

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:46. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Russell_P
www.duellist.net

doom bowling...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/duellist.net/skittles.bmp

Old Post 06-16-03 01:36 #
Russell_P is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Epyo
Dude

Heh, oh just wait til I finish Pacman DooM.

Old Post 06-16-03 01:39 #
Epyo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Russell_P
www.duellist.net

you too!!!?!! mine's been put on the back burner

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/duellist.net/pacdoom.bmp

Old Post 06-16-03 01:47 #
Russell_P is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GooberMan
Scripting Nut

You can never get too carried away with ACS :)

Old Post 06-16-03 02:39 #
GooberMan is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cyb

been there my friend, seems all of my maps have roughly 10k or more of scripts these days (before compile)

planning on releasing any of these btw? they look quite interesting :)

Old Post 06-16-03 04:43 #
Cyb is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DOOM Anomaly
I am Weird Al

Strangely, I though ACS had something to I AM A MORON I AM A MORON with characters that look like this |, \, /, -, _ ..ect... heh silly me.

But hey, those things look koolio. :D

I Love Picklehammer! Do You?

Old Post 06-16-03 05:15 #
DOOM Anomaly is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Uh, dont use BMP on the Web, it has no compression. Use a proper compressed format like PNG or GIF.

Old Post 06-16-03 05:52 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cyb

fraggle said:
Uh, dont use BMP on the Web, it has no compression. Use a proper compressed format like PNG or GIF.

actually there is such thing as bmp compression :P

http://www.daubnet.com/formats/BMP.html

Old Post 06-16-03 05:55 #
Cyb is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cacodreams

Cool! IMO, among other reasons, itīs for innovative (or at least different) ideas like that a game almost 10 years old like Doom is still alive. Cyberdreams (which I discovered only recently) is another example of innovation in the game.

DoomWorld: the HQ of the Doom resistance

Old Post 06-16-03 06:26 #
Cacodreams is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Russell_P
www.duellist.net

fraggle said:

Yeah i know this <slaps forehead> urg, my bad.

Just prior to posting these, I'd been working working for a couple of hours using PSP and wintex, so i'd been using bmps. Must've have been on automatic pilot and just continued 'saving as' bmps. What a fool!

The skittles stuff is done bar one graphic. A friend of mine is doing that for me and it'll be released when he's made said graphic. So I sit here waiting and waiting . . . . . . . and waiting . . . . . . . . . . . . and . . . . . . . . waiting...

Old Post 06-16-03 09:33 #
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

What happens when you get carried away with ACS...

Licence to Spell DooM.

Old Post 06-16-03 10:41 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cyb

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Licence to Spell DooM.

I wouldn't consider ltsd getting carried away really, none of the scripts were overly complex from what I remember (except for perhaps the rising lava), and they really served to enhance some regular doom gameplay, which made it quite nice overall.

also, looking at some of the scripts now, you have an individual script for each computer console smash, when you could have done it with one script using an array of textures and passing the lineid and proper index of the array to the single script. something like:

code:
str textures[3] = {"BROK01", "BROK02", "BROK03"}; script 100 (int lineid, int index) { setlinetexture (lineid, SIDE_FRONT, TEXTURE_BOTTOM, textures[index]); ambientsound ("smash", 127); }

then on the shootable line you send whatever line and the proper texture as the args so like

ACS_Execute(const:100, 0, 12, 2);

would do the console smash thing on lineid 12 changing it to texture BROK03 (since array indices start at 0). it's not really any more efficient, but it saves a bunch of space, which I know is an issue for people like yourself using wauthor on win98 to script :)

Old Post 06-16-03 11:38 #
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

Heh, besides having probably hundreds of rotated/aligned flats, and quite a lot of coloured lighting, Paradox will have scripting for almost every single computer console and monitor (and there are going to be a LOT of those ;)), conversations, all kinds of exploding stuff (doors, walls, ceilings, floors, even a few crates), and a lot more stuff I'm not going to mention for fear somebody'll copy my ideas :)

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 06-16-03 11:41 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

Cyb said:
also, looking at some of the scripts now, you have an individual script for each computer console smash, when you could have done it with one script using an array of textures and passing the lineid and proper index of the array to the single script.

I know about the special args, I found out about those a few weeks ago - now I use them the time in SSD.

Old Post 06-16-03 13:31 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
toxicfluff

Fragglescript is good to get carried away with too. Commandable teammate marines, computer GUI's, sidescrolling platform games, secret stuff, flamethrowers which actually set people on fire, pong, enemies which can't see you in certain colours of lighting, enemies which can't see you if you are standing still, NPC's who walk around randomly on their own to toilets and things etc, etc, etc,

RUST

Old Post 06-16-03 14:47 #
toxicfluff is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DarkWolf

I need to learn ACS, Fraggle Script still has some barriers.

Old Post 06-16-03 17:15 #
DarkWolf is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Epyo
Dude

OK, here:
http://members.cox.net/epyo/DOOM0002.png
It's actually 3 of the same ghost, but a script changed the colors.

EDIT: Changed the picture.

Last edited by Epyo on 06-18-03 at 20:50

Old Post 06-16-03 20:11 #
Epyo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Captain Red
Pants

bah. that's nothing. you should see some of the crap i made when i was messing around with zdoom bex... I'm not sure why i decided to give lost souls rail guns, and make flying mancubi and jumping demons. but it was kinda fun.

Old Post 06-16-03 23:01 #
Captain Red is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Johnatone
Make love not Half-Life expansion packs

Ct_red_pants said:
bah. that's nothing. you should see some of the crap i made when i was messing around with zdoom bex... I'm not sure why i decided to give lost souls rail guns, and make flying mancubi and jumping demons. but it was kinda fun.

i respect you immensly, but mancubi were not ment to fly. honestly, what would happen if a mancubi got really high then got really tired really fast? and it was directly over you? not even IDDQD would save you then.

Old Post 06-17-03 20:14 #
Johnatone is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

On the bright side, you'd make a nice looking diamond once all that pressure hits you.

Old Post 06-17-03 20:32 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DOOM Anomaly
I am Weird Al

And I dont think any Hellspawn will come near you once you get Mancubusized

I Love Picklehammer! Do You?

Old Post 06-17-03 22:20 #
DOOM Anomaly is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
toxicfluff

It's strange, eating habits (or at least metabolism) obviously do vary from demon to demon. Take the gluttonous Mancubus, with his multiple layers of fat, and compare him to, for instance, the severely anorexic revenant, and you'll see what I mean.

A Doom demon beauty pageant would be good, but I think the imp would be an automatic winner in light of recent fascinations.

RUST

Old Post 06-17-03 23:50 #
toxicfluff is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

ToXiCFLUFF said:
Fragglescript is good to get carried away with too. Commandable teammate marines, computer GUI's, sidescrolling platform games, secret stuff, flamethrowers which actually set people on fire, pong, enemies which can't see you in certain colours of lighting, enemies which can't see you if you are standing still, NPC's who walk around randomly on their own to toilets and things etc, etc, etc,
Holy crap, you can do all that with FS?

Old Post 06-18-03 08:53 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nanami
not a woman

Wow, I'd love to see that bowling script/level.

Old Post 06-18-03 08:54 #
Nanami is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
toxicfluff

Well, I've done these:
-Commandable teammate marines (follow, attack, hold position)
-computer GUI's
-sidescrolling platform game
-unmentionable secret stuff
-flamethrowers which actually set people on fire
-NPC's who walk around randomly on their own to toilets and things
-pong (Darkwolf did this. Due to the way keypresses are read with FS it didn't play too well though)

I've got the enemies not being able to see you stuff down in theory, although they will still move toward you.

I've also worked out how to do frogger, but haven't drawn the graphics yet. It's gonna be on a computer in Rust.

RUST

Old Post 06-18-03 09:26 #
Nanami
not a woman

"...there? Hello?"
"Hello?"
"Finally! We've found somebody alive up there! Are you okay son?"
"I'm fine. Got a few scrapes and burns but I'm all right."
"What's going on up there?"
"Demons and stuff. I'm killing them."
"We really need some help down here. We're all trapped in--"
"Hey could you be quiet? I'm trying to play Frogger."

Old Post 06-18-03 16:14 #
Nanami is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote