Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > zdoom & wads

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:50. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
gotmilk?

I'm trying to run some megawads (icarus, mm, alien vengeance, etc) with zdoom and I keep getting the error "W_GetNumForName: PLAYPAL not found".
TNT & Plutonia work fine however.
What do I need to do to get them working?

Also, how can I get zdlaunch to recognise wads other than doom1,2,tnt,plutonia?

Old Post 07-12-03 22:55 #
gotmilk? is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Little Faith
Rigtige mænd er voldtægtsmænd

I think you need to know the distinction between Iwads and Pwads.

Iwads (or internal wads) are the ones that include all the resources (all levels, all musics, all demos, all palettes. Basically all that the .exe doesn't handle. The Iwads are the ones that comes with the game. The four Iwads currently in existence are Doom.wad Doom2.wad Tnt.wad and Plutonia.wad

You always need an Iwad in order to play.

Pwads (patch wads) are third party addon wads that replaces or adds to the original resources in the Iwad. Icarus, Menento Mori and Alien Vendetta are all pwads.

So in order to play them you need to load both.

With Zdoom you load the pwads with the -file parameter. (Type Zdoom -file blahblah.wad in a dosprompt or create a .bat file with that text string).

Old Post 07-12-03 23:43 #
Little Faith is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Biffy
Forum Regular

Yeah and for those pwads you listed, you need the iwad doom2.wad. If you put more iwads in the zdoom folder than one, a menu should appear when you start the game, allowing you to select the iwad you want. You can bypass the menu by adding to the command line -iwad someiwad.wad.

Old Post 07-13-03 00:08 #
Biffy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
gotmilk?

Little Faith said:
I think you need to know the distinction between Iwads and Pwads.

Iwads (or internal wads) are the ones that include all the resources (all levels, all musics, all demos, all palettes. Basically all that the .exe doesn't handle. The Iwads are the ones that comes with the game. The four Iwads currently in existence are Doom.wad Doom2.wad Tnt.wad and Plutonia.wad

You always need an Iwad in order to play.

Pwads (patch wads) are third party addon wads that replaces or adds to the original resources in the Iwad. Icarus, Menento Mori and Alien Vendetta are all pwads.

So in order to play them you need to load both.

With Zdoom you load the pwads with the -file parameter. (Type Zdoom -file blahblah.wad in a dosprompt or create a .bat file with that text string).

That was it... thanks!!

Now a final question... I got all the pwads working except eternal. I loaded all the pwads but it came back with error "73 errors in R_InitTextures". It is possible to run this with zdoom?

Old Post 07-13-03 00:25 #
gotmilk? is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
gotmilk?

nm... might help if I played with it a bit before posting :)
Had the wrong iwad selected.

Old Post 07-13-03 00:28 #
Little Faith
Rigtige mænd er voldtægtsmænd

It is with the newest versions, but I remember some older versions choking on it for some arcane reason.

Try zdoom.notgod.com/lars for the current Zdoom version.

Old Post 07-13-03 00:29 #
Little Faith is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

gotmilk? said:

That was it... thanks!!

Now a final question... I got all the pwads working except eternal. I loaded all the pwads but it came back with error "73 errors in R_InitTextures". It is possible to run this with zdoom?

The only wad you should need is eternall.wad

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 07-13-03 13:46 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote