Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > thinking about creating doom WADS

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:35. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
doompunk13
Warming Up

Alright i just went to barns and noble and they hooked me up with a book called Sams teach urself Game Programming....i was wondering if any of you have read it or seen it or heard about it b4....also ..people who have made WADS before ....is it hard...? lol jus wondering but i want to try to promise u that i will relese a WAD in the next ...2-3 months on a skool based WAD...DONT COPY THAT IDEA PLEASE

Old Post 07-12-03 23:11 #
doompunk13 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Torn
google is your master

hmm, heh. Wow, a school, I think no one have ever been thinking of that for a doom map. * looks in idgames ftp's doom folder and find tons of school wads *

Old Post 07-12-03 23:17 #
Torn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

I haven't heard of that book before, but I do have Tricks of the Doom Gurus and 3D Game Alchemy, also by Sams.

Old Post 07-12-03 23:19 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
doompunk13
Warming Up

alright one more thing is this an easy thing to learn or no...is the code for doom hardd?

Old Post 07-13-03 00:05 #
doompunk13 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Epyo
Dude

code? You probably won't have to deal with any coding. I think it's easy, ya just draw sectors and change the heights and change the textures and ya move on to the next room.

Old Post 07-13-03 01:49 #
Epyo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
insertwackynamehere
The Chewbacca defense gone nightmare

Just download an editor and use the tutorial, which will probably come with the editor. You don't need to know any coding, unless your using scripts in ZDoom, which you don't need to worry about yet. However, learning a code or language is still a good idea. I'm currently working on "C". Doom editing involves drawing sectors (rooms and platforms and slime pools, etc), and customizing the sector's light level, floor/ceiling textures (technically called "flats") and height, and sector types such as flashing lights, or damage. Then, you can edit the sidedefs (walls) with custom textures, flags, and types. Then, you place the objects and monsters and items and player start/teleports. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it.

Old Post 07-13-03 02:07 #
insertwackynamehere is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grimm

No, it ain't that hard, but before prepared for shit to not work for absolutely no reason.

Old Post 07-13-03 02:57 #
Grimm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

Editing starts out real rough, but as time passes you eventually get the overall hang of what the heck you're doing and you start to make actual playable maps. I didn't use any books or whatever to help me out in my editing, I just posted on the editing forums a bunch, asking all kinds of questions about stuff and finding out stuff on my own, and looking at other levels in Deepsea, which btw is my editor of choice.

Old Post 07-13-03 13:35 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grimm

Heh, the only thing I had was the DEU 5.21 tutorial and karma.

Old Post 07-14-03 02:22 #
Grimm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

My first editor was an even older version of DEU (2.x or 3.x something) with no tutorial :)

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 07-14-03 11:19 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

The first editor I tried was WadEd, the biggest load of garbage I have ever used. It crashed almost every time I used it, especially when trying to make a column (made up of one sided lines), and just about gave up on map editing altogether. It took me several months (when I bought Heretic) to become interested enough to try map editing again. I tried several other editors before finally coming across DCK, which I still use today (later version though).

Old Post 07-14-03 12:00 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote