Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
999cop

"Reborn" - tadm1 beta 2 (playable version)

Download Link:
http://files.getsomewhere.net/doom/re-born.zip

Screenshots:

Beta 2 changes:
- A playable layout has been entirely compiled (more additional changes might add to it)
- hallways widened
- weapons and items are implemented in proper placement to the map
- Super Shotgun room in the central is redesigned/reshaped
- corridors and rooms repositioned in order to enhance with a better connectivity and gameflow
- rearranged respawn spots
- lighting throughout the entire level darkened to a decent level, I believe
- some custom sounds are taken off

Note:
Texturing didn't get to work on yet, therefore ignore that part.

Nice map. I like the atmoshpere.
I'd like to play a sinlge player map with that textures.

Thanks for sparing me with a reply from at least one person. Now would someone please playtest the map out and comment on the gameplay

I think that the BFG and Plasma gun are very easy to find. They make the SSG and chaingun obsolete. In my opinion you must remove the BFG and add some kind of little puzzle for the plasma, so the players must solve it before pick it up.

The exit hallway is a bit aparted of the rooms where the battles take place, also there is nothing real special for players to pick up, the battles only take place there if the players apear on that position. It should be nice if you add another hallway that interconect it with the rest of the map, or if you add some special items to pick up (may be the plasma gun can be placed there).

Anyway, I really like your map, I usually don't pay atention to DM wads, but this looks as the first DOOM 3 video, I love it, keep up the good work.

Elevators in DM = NO! Unless to access a super weapon
Doors in DM = inconvenience
Also, don't make rooms with dead-ends. It ruins ALL signs of connectivity

Ralphis said:

None of those "rules" are carved in stone. Doors and elevators can be useful for identifying the location of other players due to the sounds they make. Some dead end areas in a DM map are also good sometimes. Makes you think twice about entering them lest you get trapped.

It all depends on what kind of gameplay you are trying for.

Ralphis, that sounds like FFA map rules, and still only guidelines that can certainly be broken with good effect.

Vegeta said:

I think that the BFG and Plasma gun are very easy to find. They make the SSG and chaingun obsolete. In my opinion you must remove the BFG and add some kind of little puzzle for the plasma, so the players must solve it before pick it up.

Notice that both corridors are polished with obvious, invisible surface against the wall deliberately that can raise the effect of wallrunning to a higher level which provide an easier, quicker access for players to escape from the wrath from the "BFG whores". However I'm simply picturing all this in the state of 1 vs 1 games, I'll make further changes depending on how well the map plays.

The exit hallway is a bit aparted of the rooms where the battles take place, also there is nothing real special for players to pick up, the battles only take place there if the players apear on that position. It should be nice if you add another hallway that interconect it with the rest of the map, or if you add some special items to pick up (may be the plasma gun can be placed there).

Same as above for now, I'll keep the final decision to myself until it gets playtested with humans.
[quote]Ralphis said:

Elevators can be used by option, there's another way around to get up on the second floor anyhow.

Most doors are remotely activated and can be used once, I don't see any problems with that there.

There are other circumstances that dead-ends can be cool if they are done correctly.