Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Favourite Hexen hub?
Favourite Hexen hub?
Seven Portals
Shadow Wood
Monastery
Castle of Grief
Necropolis
Blight (DK hub 1)
Constable`s Gate (DK hub 2)
Nave (DK hub 3)
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 00:49. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

And, to complete the set...what's your favourite Hexen hub? My vote goes to the Castle of Grief.

Old Post 09-03-03 22:09 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Vile
The man made of sticks

Gonna have to go with the Monastery (or the automap name as I like to call it, Heresiarch's Seminary) with the Castle of Grief a close second. I didn't really hate any of them, although the Locus Requiescat in Deathkings' second hub used to scare the hell out of me as a kid, maybe it was the dark and spooky music that played there when using the CD music (in midi, it's equal to the second of the ending screens of Hexen).

Old Post 09-03-03 22:25 #
Vile is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Draconio
Ack! Ack! Ack!

Monastary. I never played Deathkings though.

Old Post 09-03-03 22:25 #
Draconio is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

All of them were good, although Necropolis was a bit short, so it's hard to choose a favorite one. I guess I'll pick Constable's Gate because of the atmosphere, especially Locus Requiescat. I didn't like Armory that much though. It was too much of a maze type map for me, even after knowing how to get through it.

Old Post 09-03-03 23:09 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

For looks and atmosphere: Shadow Wood.
For gameplay and general fun: Monastery.

The Ultimate DooMer said:
And, to complete the set...
There's still Strife, Hacx and Chex Quest to go, you know.

Last edited by Grazza on 09-03-03 at 23:28

Old Post 09-03-03 23:19 #
Grazza is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grimm

Shadow Wood, then Castle of Grief.

I thought the last level in Chex Quest had the most atmosphere.

Old Post 09-03-03 23:50 #
Grimm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

Grazza said:
For looks and atmosphere: Shadow Wood.
For gameplay and general fun: Monastery.

There's still Strife, Hacx and Chex Quest to go, you know.

I've not played those, so I don't count them in my set.

Old Post 09-04-03 00:54 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

I haven't really gotten used to DK yet, so it's all of the originals for now. :)

Old Post 09-04-03 01:18 #
rf` is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

Shadow Wood, most definitely. I like the outside and all alone atmosphere you get most of the time.

Old Post 09-04-03 02:06 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Graf Zahl
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Shadow Wood, of course. Nothing can beat a hub with a level like Darkmere in it!

Old Post 09-04-03 07:36 #
Graf Zahl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
zark
is more awesome than Ralphis

Hexen rules so much. I think the Monastery is my favourite hub but it's really hard to decide. Never played Deathkings, need to pick up a copy of that at some point actually.

Old Post 09-04-03 07:44 #
zark is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gokuma
picnic bench lord

Anything but seven portals! Not seven portals! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I think Romero said it best when he said something like it was four portals too many.

(Sorry, it's just that I played through Seven portals for the second time in the last few months.)

Old Post 09-05-03 02:24 #
Gokuma is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Vile
The man made of sticks

Indeed, the game only continued improving after the quirky demo hub.

Old Post 09-05-03 07:59 #
Vile is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ichor

More like a quirky demo 1/2 hub.

Old Post 09-05-03 10:31 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

monastery. i can't remember DKC well enough to pick out a particular hub from there, even though on the whole i enjoyed it more than the original maps.

Old Post 09-05-03 11:50 #
sargebaldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Nanami
not a woman

Where's the option for "I was never able to get past hub 2 even though I played for 39024 hours" ?

Old Post 09-05-03 16:06 #
Nanami is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh

I'd be lucky if I could even get past the fourth or fifth portal in Seven Portals. I think I might've beaten it before, but I most definitely don't remember it. I lose my way constantly and backtrack.
And is it just me, or does the second Guardian of Ice place have one too many Wendigos?

Old Post 09-05-03 17:58 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grimm

No, the Guardian of Ice room on the Guardian of Steel has way too many Wendigos. LUDICROUS!!! Destroy the Heretic! Er, never mind . . .

Old Post 09-05-03 18:22 #
Grimm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh

Aha, that's what I was thinking of. It's bad enough there's ice all over the place, and that there are those ice pillars that will crush you if you're not fast enough to get out of the way, but there no less than five (maybe more on skill 4, dunno, haven't tried that in a while) Wendigos slamming ice down your throat. No matter what I try I always manage to get frozen solid. Frustrating doesn't begin to describe it.

Old Post 09-05-03 20:28 #
Vile
The man made of sticks

Not much in terms of strategy regarding that room, there's just too much fire to dodge, but having a key bound to the quartz flask is a big help.

Old Post 09-05-03 21:03 #
Gokuma
picnic bench lord

You can pick off a TON of Wendigos from the center room of Guardian of Steel. Simply jump up and bash them through the grate. You don't actually have to jump up onto the ledge (at least not in Korax mod), so you don't have to expose yourself to their ice shard attack too much.

But there is still that one room you get really gangbanged, but it's not one where you have to worry about crushing pillars.

Old Post 09-07-03 17:39 #
Gokuma is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Python_Junkie
Banned

Seeing as how I haven't played it in a long time, I'd have to go with shadow wood, though nothing can beat the final battle with Korax ;)

Old Post 09-08-03 19:59 #
Python_Junkie is offline Profile || Blog || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

Python_Junkie said:
Seeing as how I haven't played it in a long time, I'd have to go with shadow wood, though nothing can beat the final battle with Korax ;)

Yes there is. Any of the Herisarch battles.

Old Post 09-08-03 20:14 #
rf` is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ichor

Korax is far too easy (and kind of boring in Korax mod). D'Sparil was even more of a challenge, especially once he started spawning new enemies. Death Wyvern battles (without a Wings of Wrath around) are also quite fun and challenging.

Old Post 09-08-03 20:36 #
rf`
Dr. Nosign

Ichor said:
Death Wyvern battles (without a Wings of Wrath around) are also quite fun and challenging.

Especially when you make monsters keep spawning until it's dead. >:)

Old Post 09-08-03 20:41 #
Ichor

I prefer to put one (possibly two in harder maps) and have them fly around in a certain area in such a way as for their range to take up half of the map. You would be walking around fighting minor enemies while being bombarded with fireballs from far away.

Well, you'll see what I mean in this next hub, heheh.

Old Post 09-08-03 20:50 #
rf`
Dr. Nosign

Um, you stole that idea from DK. :) But that had four.

Old Post 09-08-03 20:54 #
DooMBoy
Heh

Python_Junkie said:
Heh, the final level looked pretty cruddy, and it was waaaaaaaaaaaay too small. Considering what you can do with ACS, and considering that overall Hexen's level design is pretty good, I'm suprised they (meaning the Raven level designers) didn't go all out for the last battle. :(

Old Post 09-08-03 20:57 #
Ichor

Dark Citadel was worse. It was just an octagon room with a web-like design on the floor and three glass windows.

Old Post 09-08-03 21:02 #
rf`
Dr. Nosign

I thought that was a serious let-down to the expansion. Diablo 2 LOD had a better ending than that. (even if it's not hard for a game like that :P )

Old Post 09-08-03 21:19 #