Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > The One Room Contest
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:13. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hirogen2

geekmarine said:
My room is totally kicking ass right now. I can't wait until it's finished. [/B]

don't be so self-confident :D

Old Post 10-22-03 08:03 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
geekmarine

Hey, I'm not saying it's gonna be kick-ass for anyone else, just for me =P. I mean, if I don't like my room, no reason to submit it, is there? Plus, I might use it for a level or something.

People who use correct grammar and punctuation are actually AndrewB trying to pretend he is a woman named Nanami.

Old Post 10-22-03 12:45 #
geekmarine is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

I think there should be a DUNE theme sometime. ;P

Old Post 10-22-03 18:58 #
rf` is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Job
Forum Legend

ravage said:
I think there should be a DUNE theme sometime. ;P

Oh there will, there will...

Old Post 10-22-03 19:32 #
Job is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

Can dummy sectors be used?

Old Post 10-23-03 13:50 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hirogen2

Why not? Sectors are unlimited. You shall make one "room", including erm... If
I Understood Right multiple rooms along the Z axis.
Dont rely on the last statemant about Z rooms.

Old Post 10-23-03 14:39 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Job
Forum Legend

Hirogen2 said:
Why not? Sectors are unlimited. You shall make one "room", including erm... If
I Understood Right multiple rooms along the Z axis.
Dont rely on the last statemant about Z rooms.

Yup, you're right. Dummy sectors in any number, as well as any other, are quite all right to use.

Old Post 10-23-03 17:15 #
Job is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Twiztid

I could try this,even tho im not that good at mapping yet.
One qustion tho, does it have to be made with doom1?

Old Post 10-25-03 21:48 #
Twiztid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Job
Forum Legend

Twiztid said:
I could try this,even tho im not that good at mapping yet.
One qustion tho, does it have to be made with doom1?

Nah, I suppose not. But the textures included in the Doom 1 IWAD would probably be a big help if you had them. But I can't hold it against you if you don't have Doom 1. So go ahead and use Doom 2 if that's all you have.

Old Post 10-26-03 16:42 #
Agent Spork
Warming Up

Do bars blocking the way that open up count as doors?

Old Post 10-27-03 12:11 #
Agent Spork is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
geekmarine

Well, that's it. I'm all out of ideas, and I don't feel my room is detailed enough. Shucks. I mean, I could do some lighting, but that's about it. Well, I'm gonna tinker with it until the end of the contest, but I'm pretty much done.

People who use correct grammar and punctuation are actually AndrewB trying to pretend he is a woman named Nanami.

Old Post 10-27-03 12:43 #
geekmarine is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Job
Forum Legend

Agent Spork said:
Do bars blocking the way that open up count as doors?

As long as they are within the main room, it's okay. I wish I could code an example, but you'll just have to take my word for it. You can use them as decoration, but you can't use bars to lead into blocked off new sectors.

Old Post 10-27-03 14:53 #
Torn
google is your master

Uhm, Define one room, is it just a big 896x896 room or can I have hallways just as it fits a 896x896 area without any doors of couse?

Old Post 10-28-03 15:50 #
Torn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Job
Forum Legend

Torn said:
Uhm, Define one room, is it just a big 896x896 room or can I have hallways just as it fits a 896x896 area without any doors of couse?

Good question. Technically, you can put whatever you want within the 896x896 area. If you can get hallways in it, more power to you. As you mentioned, I am entirely prohibiting any use of doors. To me, that seems to violate the purpose. Everything is open and corridor/sector/room based. But by an 896x896 area, I'd like to keep it within a room -- and by that I mean, not making said area an open field with buildings (w/o doors) on it. It's all supposed to be in the confines of an 896x896 block. I hope that answers your question!

Old Post 10-28-03 18:02 #
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

I'll wait for the next contest.

Old Post 10-28-03 22:43 #
BlackFish is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Job
Forum Legend

Oh -- I may have forgotten to mention this, but if there are enough maps, a level using all of your rooms will be released for /newstuff. With your permission of course.

Old Post 10-29-03 15:21 #
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

Can we submit more than one entry?

The thing is, I'd almost completed my entry when my computer started going haywire, so I've started another one on this spare computer. If I manage to get my computer fixed in time, I'll have two candidates, and I'd love to be able send them both in :)

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 10-30-03 13:25 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Job
Forum Legend

NiGHTMARE said:
Can we submit more than one entry?

The thing is, I'd almost completed my entry when my computer started going haywire, so I've started another one on this spare computer. If I manage to get my computer fixed in time, I'll have two candidates, and I'd love to be able send them both in :)

Sure, that's cool. I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt and choose the best out of your submissions. Seeing as how the limit is 3. :) (at least it is now, heh)

Old Post 10-30-03 17:26 #
Johnatone
Make love not Half-Life expansion packs

Job, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.
;)

Job said:
Post replies for comments, questions, etc, as well as updates. All entries are to be completed by Saturday, November 21st.

that's a friday. unless you mean the 1st.

well, if you really meant the first then i can't make it this time around, but i'll try to show up next time.

quick question: define 896x896 limit, as in, if i were to make a square room, 64x64 grid, how many per side would that be? 14 per side? or something. bascially i'm just asking how many squares i'll get per side to make a giant sqaure room. then i'll detail. unless it's really the first for the deadline, then i'm screwed either way. :)

Old Post 10-31-03 00:41 #
Johnatone is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Job
Forum Legend

monochrome said:
Job, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.
;)

that's a friday. unless you mean the 1st.

well, if you really meant the first then i can't make it this time around, but i'll try to show up next time.

quick question: define 896x896 limit, as in, if i were to make a square room, 64x64 grid, how many per side would that be? 14 per side? or something. bascially i'm just asking how many squares i'll get per side to make a giant sqaure room. then i'll detail. unless it's really the first for the deadline, then i'm screwed either way. :)

Yeah, I made another typo. Oy. It is indeed the first, i.e. tomorrow. Feel free to either a.) pull something out of your butt for this contest or b.) make the next one. :)
Anyway, you are right. 896x896 is 14 squares by 14 squares.

Old Post 10-31-03 05:39 #
Johnatone
Make love not Half-Life expansion packs

Job said:

Yeah, I made another typo. Oy. It is indeed the first, i.e. tomorrow. Feel free to either a.) pull something out of your butt for this contest or b.) make the next one. :)

well, since my computer was reformated i guess i'll have to wait until B, unless i'm really fast then i'll have one done by midnight. :)

Anyway, you are right. 896x896 is 14 squares by 14 squares.

i was? that's pretty small, but oh well. thanks man. hope i can wip something out in a jiffie.

Old Post 10-31-03 21:46 #
Johnatone is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hirogen2

Sent-you-the-map. There is a place lacking detail but whatever.

Old Post 11-01-03 07:38 #
geekmarine

Done! Link is at http://www.geocities.com/great_wise_yoda/e1room.zip
Well, that about wraps things up for me.

EDIT: Damn, I hate Geocities. Yeah, just copy/paste the link, and it should work fine.

Old Post 11-01-03 16:32 #
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

Today? Darn, didn't get my second map finished, and still haven't been able to retrieve the first.

Oh well, I can hopefully restyle them for contest #2 :)

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 11-01-03 19:29 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Job
Forum Legend

The first contest is indeed over -- does anyone else wish to post/send their maps (to me)?

Old Post 11-01-03 22:05 #
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

When's the second start, I might partake.

Old Post 11-02-03 02:52 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hirogen2

http://linux01.org:2222/doom-1room.php
out for public

Last edited by Hirogen2 on 11-14-04 at 12:41

Old Post 11-02-03 09:23 #
Job
Forum Legend

Kid Airbag said:
When's the second start, I might partake.

Not sure yet, but I'll be sure to post a new thread as first as all the loose ends of the first contest are tied up.

Old Post 11-02-03 20:33 #
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

Methinks when the next contest rolls around I'll take part.

Old Post 11-03-03 19:21 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Tormentor667

Hirogens one room looks quite cool :)

Old Post 11-04-03 12:09 #
Tormentor667 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote