Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > A New ZooM Weapon
How Should the New Gun Be Added?
Get Rid of the Tri-Laser and Add the Assault Rifle
Just Add the Assault Rifle
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:44. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nanami
not a woman

ZDoom 53 came out, and it allows a few Strife weapons. Right when I heard that I knew I had to examine the weapons to see if any would fit in ZooM. Those of us on the team agreed that the assault rifle would be a good addition, however, we need a vote.

Right now we have one person who wants to replace an old weapon (the tri-laser gun; it shoots three weak/medium power projectiles and is about as strong as a shotgun if all three hit) with the assault rifle, and another person who just wants to ADD the assault rifle and not replace anything.

It's not too big of a decision, we just wanted to know what everyone else thinks. Adding this gun would bring us up to 14 weapons total. Post if you like, of course, but if you're a ZooM member make sure you post your opinion on the thread so we know your standpoint.

(Note: Neither of these guns will be in the upcoming ZooM demo, so the outcome of this poll may not be the final word)

Old Post 11-17-03 02:03 #
Nanami is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

The tri-laser gun is awful, it's pretty ugly, it's not nearly as powerful as a shotgun, nor as accurate, nor nearly as fast. Trying to hit a running Doom marine with a slow slow weapon that barely deals any damage is just ludicrous. It's just wasting space in the wad. And I think Zoom has more than enough weapons as it is. Frankly I'd feel safer with a pistol and never even touch the damn thing. I vote for option 1.

Last edited by sargebaldy on 11-17-03 at 02:18

Old Post 11-17-03 02:07 #
sargebaldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Amaster
Artificial Mechanical Android Skilled in Troubleshooting and Efficient Repair

"I'm Bloodshedder and I don't care"

Old Post 11-17-03 02:08 #
Amaster is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mancubus II
Purple is not a breakfast color

sargebaldy said:
The tri-laser gun is awful, it's pretty ugly, it's not nearly as powerful as a shotgun, nor as accurate, nor nearly as fast. It's just wasting space in the wad. And I think Zoom has more than enough weapons as it is. Frankly I'd feel safer with a pistol and never even touch the damn thing. I vote for option 1.

Old Post 11-17-03 02:18 #
Mancubus II is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hobo
The Incredible Journye

sargebaldy said:
The tri-laser gun is awful, it's pretty ugly, it's not nearly as powerful as a shotgun, nor as accurate, nor nearly as fast. Trying to hit a running Doom marine with a slow slow weapon that barely deals any damage is just ludicrous. It's just wasting space in the wad. And I think Zoom has more than enough weapons as it is. Frankly I'd feel safer with a pistol and never even touch the damn thing. I vote for option 1.

What sarge said, and I believe that any more weapons ideas after this one should be abandoned.

Old Post 11-17-03 02:52 #
Hobo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Espi
Möh.

Yeah the tri-laser isn't that useful as an anti-player weapon.

Old Post 11-17-03 02:54 #
Espi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nanami
not a woman

SlowMotionHobo said:
What sarge said, and I believe that any more weapons ideas after this one should be abandoned.
Well we weren't planning on adding any more guns anyway. But since 53 had more Strife support, the assault rifle seemed pretty good to add.

Old Post 11-17-03 03:24 #
Nanami is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grimm

Hell, how are you gonna simulate the bullet wandering? That's the only damn thing keeping it from being a chaingun.

Old Post 11-21-03 22:48 #
Grimm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Epyo
Dude

Now do I need strife to play ZooM now?

Old Post 11-21-03 23:29 #
Epyo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

Of course not, we'd just be using Strife weapon effects. With ZDoom you can use Hexen, Heretic, Doom and now some Strife weapon effects. All that information is stored right in the engine. We'd be either be using replace sprites for the guns, or would just include the weapon sprites in the wad.

Old Post 11-21-03 23:47 #
sargebaldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

I've never seen the Trilaser but I think the Mauler would be a better choice than the assult rifle.

If you want some fun, add some phosphorus grenades, and the sigil weapons.

Old Post 11-21-03 23:59 #
rf` is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

The 'trilaser' is heretic's crossbow.. which was all right in single player heretic, but in the fast paced play of zoom is completely ineffective.

Old Post 11-22-03 00:17 #
rf`
Dr. Nosign

I wonder if you could make a futuristic Fire Mace. :)

Old Post 11-22-03 01:28 #
rf` is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grimm

Hey, aren't the crossbow bolts in Heretic projectiles?

Old Post 11-22-03 02:33 #
Grimm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nanami
not a woman

Yes.

Old Post 11-22-03 02:38 #
AgentSpork
Agent Spork is a resourceful agent for the Country

Heh, tied.

Old Post 11-22-03 15:16 #
AgentSpork is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

AgentSpork said:
Heh, tied.

Not any more.

Old Post 11-22-03 20:18 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nanami
not a woman

I believe we've already decided to remove the Tri-laser.

Old Post 11-22-03 22:22 #
rf`
Dr. Nosign

Nanami said:
I believe we've already decided to remove the Tri-laser.

Firemace!

Old Post 11-22-03 22:45 #
Nanami
not a woman

The thing that shoots those little bombs and they bounce around stupidly and split into other smaller balls?

No.

Old Post 11-22-03 22:57 #
deathz0r
Bitch fuckin' stole me chaingun!

Tome of power!

Old Post 11-23-03 05:32 #
deathz0r is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nanami
not a woman

That only works for Heretic weapons, and right now there's only one.

Old Post 11-23-03 11:03 #
rf`
Dr. Nosign

Well, what does the tri laser look like?

Old Post 11-23-03 12:42 #
Nanami
not a woman

http://nami.mancubus.net/images/tri.gif

Old Post 11-23-03 17:05 #
rf`
Dr. Nosign

Doesn't look bad, but if it replaces the crossbow, it'd be useless.

Old Post 11-23-03 17:40 #
sargebaldy
not arioch

actually that doesn't look bad, take back my arguments on ugliness. but it is still completely useless, and that's what matters more :P

Old Post 11-23-03 20:22 #
rf`
Dr. Nosign

If you don't use those sprites, I'll find a use. :P

Old Post 11-23-03 20:31 #
Xaser
Forum Staple

ravage said:
If you don't use those sprites, I'll find a use. :P

You took the mouth right out of my words. :P

Old Post 11-23-03 20:47 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote