Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Trading Bases

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:41. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Johnatone
Make love not Half-Life expansion packs

To celebrate the 10th aniversary of one of the greatest games in the world, I'm starting a project for all DOOM level creators.

If you've ever watched BBC or TLC, you know of the shows Changing Rooms and Trading Spaces, where two families have 48 hours (although I've noticed that it's actually only 24) to completely redo one room in each other's homes.

So behold TRADING BASES.

It's a project for DOOM in which two mappers trade levels they've created and are given 48 hours to redo the levels. the original levels will be posted for all to see, and after the 48 hour deadline the two remade levels will be posted with the mappers' comments on what they like and dislike about the modification of their level.

I've almost got the HTML documents complete, I just need to register with a site (I'm thinking FreeWebs, does anyone reccomend any other site for hosting). I'm looking for the first two volunteers, and am thinking of setting a date of 13 December at 12 AM Central Time United States, or whatever works depending on who the volunteers are, where they're located, or even if I get volunteers.

And no, ladies, there is no Ty.

DISCUSS!

Old Post 12-09-03 00:40 #
Johnatone is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
EarthQuake
9.5 on the Richter!

Sounds like it might be fun, but by "redo the levels" do you mean from scratch? or just by improving them/adding on to them?

Old Post 12-09-03 00:57 #
EarthQuake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Johnatone

improve them/adding onto them

Old Post 12-09-03 01:03 #
Johnatone is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
EarthQuake
9.5 on the Richter!

I'll do it.
I just gotta figure out which map I wanna see "improved". :]

Old Post 12-09-03 01:20 #
EarthQuake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Johnatone

any other takers?

also, who would i ask if i wanted to see if this could be hosted by DOOMWorld?

Old Post 12-09-03 01:25 #
Job
Forum Legend

That sounds like a great idea. I'm in.

Old Post 12-09-03 01:57 #
Job is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Johnatone

sweet, i'll get the site up and email you guys with further details.

Old Post 12-09-03 02:08 #
deathbringer
Post invalidated by first word being "uhhh"

uhhhhhhh

I could send my old Trafficcontrol.wad i suppose XD, or maybe my slowly-progressing remake of the map of my school XD, but it'd be wiered to see half a map thats well-made and the other half is bad XD

Old Post 12-09-03 12:46 #
deathbringer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Chris Hansen
(used to be c-cooper)

This sounds like fun, this I've gotta see! Good idea... Good luck, guys!

Old Post 12-09-03 20:26 #
Chris Hansen is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

So the idea is to use maps that the author deems complete and see what changes other people do them, rather than half-finished ones that we're just too lazy/uninspired to finish off ourselves?

Sounds interesting, I'm up for it :)

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 12-09-03 20:38 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Darkhaven3

Alright, I'm in. :P

This ticket gives me the right, no, DUTY to make a complete ass out of myself.

Old Post 12-09-03 21:07 #
Darkhaven3 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

Hey, not a bad idea! But I already have a map to finish up for tomorrow and finals to study for. Stupid Doom, coming out finals week :P

Old Post 12-09-03 21:38 #
sargebaldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
EarthQuake
9.5 on the Richter!

What if the resultant level is very exceptional? Who take credit for it? Is it split between authors or what?

Old Post 12-09-03 21:42 #