Archvile
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Using bats

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:10. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bashe

I wanna play a super uber omega wicked sick wad with ZDoom, but the only way to play it correctly is to use a .bat file with the wad meant for regular Doom, and regular Doom is yucky now. Is there anyway to take the traits of that .bat file and make them into a wad to use with the wad.

BTW, the wad is Doom2Xtreme.

Old Post 12-11-03 00:47 #
Bashe is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mancubus II
Purple is not a breakfast color

well, unless it's extremely wacky, just add a "z" before the doom.exe in the bat file, and to make sure it loads the right game, put the -iwad parameter on the same line that loads everything else. Done.

Old Post 12-11-03 00:57 #
Mancubus II is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

Where did you find it anyway?

Old Post 12-11-03 01:01 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Bashe

I was just looking VERY hard one day and it popped up! I'd say I'm pretty lucky, considering that this is an EXTREMELY rare wad nowadays.

The whole "put a Z before it" didn't work. I guess the .bat is wacky, because it makes sure the right sounds play and the guns have the correct animation.

Old Post 12-11-03 01:04 #
Bashe is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ichor

What does the .bat file actually say? To find out, either rename it to a .txt file or edit it in DOS.

Old Post 12-11-03 01:05 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Bashe

The bat has a lot of encrypted poopy stuff, but at the bottom, there's some DeHackEd style stuff like text replacements.

Old Post 12-11-03 01:18 #
Ichor

Not your typical .bat file I suppose. This may be just a wild guess, but when running ZDoom, try using the command line -deh filename.bat

Old Post 12-11-03 01:23 #
Linguica

good lord

Old Post 12-11-03 01:25 #
Linguica is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Bashe

That didn't work. I'm sorry (bite).
Is there another way?
Actually, I made a mistake with all the posts. Its an .EXE file, not a .BAT. Any suggestions?

Old Post 12-11-03 01:28 #
Ichor

Wait a minute. I think I found it. Is it a single map wadfile with d2xtreme.txt, readme.1st, and gravpats.zip?

Old Post 12-11-03 01:30 #
Bashe

Huh? What? Oh, you found the game.
No, mine came with:
D2Xtreme.exe
D2xtreme.wad
D2xtreme.txt

Yoyoyo!

Old Post 12-11-03 01:33 #
Scuba Steve

I have the same problem with Doom2Extreme Gold. The DEH is embedded into the d2x.exe file so I can't extract it. I'm not sure where I got it or if it came with a DEH file so there is no way for me to play it with a modern port, that I know of.

Old Post 12-11-03 01:39 #
Scuba Steve is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ichor

Different version maybe. Anyway, inside that other zip file are a bunch of .pat files, which are what contain the sound files used by Advanced Gravis UltraSound or UltraSound MAX. Now then, it seems that I can open these up in Goldwave, so what I will do is take all those .pat files, turn them to .wav files and put them back in the wadfile, and send it to you when I'm done.

...I hope...

Old Post 12-11-03 01:40 #
Ichor

Wouldn't you believe it? I went through all that trouble and I find out that the sounds (at least those .pat files) are nothing more than some of the original sounds sped up 2X, like the Baron of Hell sight sound, the Imp's death, etc.

Old Post 12-11-03 01:56 #
boris
meow

Scuba Steve said:
I have the same problem with Doom2Extreme Gold. The DEH is embedded into the d2x.exe file so I can't extract it. I'm not sure where I got it or if it came with a DEH file so there is no way for me to play it with a modern port, that I know of.

Did you try to simply load the .exe into Dehacked and then save the changes to a .deh file?

Old Post 12-11-03 04:28 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Erik

The wad is shit anyway.

Old Post 12-11-03 07:51 #
Erik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Bashe

My theory of changing the .exe to .bex didn't work.
Oh well.

Old Post 12-11-03 11:33 #
Bashe

Keep ideas coming!

Old Post 12-11-03 21:02 #
Ichor

After what I discovered about the sounds, it just wasn't worth the effort. However, the music sounded horrible on my machine, and I'm guessing that it only sounds halfway decent on an Advanced Gravis UltraSound or UltraSound MAX. It's probably better without that music anyway, and it can be easily removed or changed with WinTex.

Old Post 12-11-03 21:20 #
Bashe

Is there a .deh extractor or some software like that?
I'm guessing the .exe is just an auto-loaded .deh file.

Old Post 12-11-03 21:24 #
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

Usually an exe is simply a copy of the original exe with a dehacked patch loaded. If this is the case, do this:

Edit the dehacked.ini so the exe is loaded up as the hacked exe.
Load up Dehacked.
Save the patch.
Load up ZDoom with the new patch.

Old Post 12-11-03 21:33 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Bashe

Strangely, I don't have a DeHackEd.ini.
I better go get one!

Old Post 12-11-03 21:34 #
Bashe

Okay, I did all the steps, it still loads normally and not like it should. Its like it won't include the .bex!

Old Post 12-11-03 22:19 #
Lizardcommando
I'm a good person because I like dogs

Erik said:
The wad is shit anyway.

I second that. Just do yourself a favor and delete D2Xtreme now and get a better megawad.

Lizard's Legacy, Lizard Squad, Lizardcommando, the Exterminator, and any other related materials are copyrighted to Cliff AKA Lizardcommando, so don't even think about using them without my permission!!!
Copyrighted 2000-2012

Old Post 12-12-03 00:06 #
Lizardcommando is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Bashe

Lizardcommando said:

I second that. Just do yourself a favor and delete D2Xtreme now and get a better megawad.

Oh, you really think!? Fine. Lead me to a better wad.
If you're wrong, F U.
If you're right, I love you (not literally).

And don't say D2Xgold, I have that and it rocks.

Last edited by Bashe on 12-12-03 at 22:25

Old Post 12-12-03 20:59 #
Lizardcommando
I'm a good person because I like dogs

Check the stuff in the 10 Years of Doom section and go to Best Wads of 1994-2003. You'll see megawads that are way better than D2Xtreme in there.

Lizard's Legacy, Lizard Squad, Lizardcommando, the Exterminator, and any other related materials are copyrighted to Cliff AKA Lizardcommando, so don't even think about using them without my permission!!!
Copyrighted 2000-2012

Old Post 12-12-03 23:23 #
Lizardcommando is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote