Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
EarthQuake

Can Zdoom handle my project?

First off, I'd like to clearly state that this is not a newproject (yet), so don't you dare even think about tagging me.

I have been considering a project for the past month, and I first want to find out if zdoom was even capable of such a feat. I'm fairly new to zdoom's features, and I'm not really sure if this would even work out, so that's why I'm not posting a design document or anything.

I'd just like to know if it is it possible to...

1) ...include monsters from heretic/hexen? I saw some hexen monsters were used in Void, but what about heretic monsters? If they are not already implemented, it would be easy to create a terrific mockup from existing monsters (for example, gargoyles that are really modified lost souls, or golems that are really modified demons). I'm sure this would be possible with dehacked patches.

2) ...create a hub-style level system like in hexen? I'm assuming this is very possible, because Daedalus used something like this. I wanted to be able to come back to a previous level and have the state of the level preserved.

3) ...randomly generate monsters every time a player returns to a level? Again, I'm assuming this would be easy because Daedalus used something similar.

4) ...have monsters drop randomly picked items? Also, to have each monster type have a different list of items to pick from. For example, when a monster dies, have that monster drop a potion, ammo clip, shells, armored helm bonus, or etc... I don't think this sounds very promising, especially with monsters that were randomly spawned.

5) ...strip the player of the pistol and fists?

6) ...add more weapons without removing the originals? Would it be possible to have, let's say, slot 6 contain the plasma rifle and another weapon, as like how the shotgun and combat shotgun both take up slot 3?

7) ...randomly lower/raise/open sectors upon crossing a linedef. For example, I have three sectors, and I cross a line that opens a random number of them. It doesn't have to be just one of them, just that it goes through the list and randomly decides if each door will be open or closed. This will help avoid linearity in the cave/dungeon levels.

If Zdoom is not even capable of doing these, I'm not going to even attempt the project. Once I know how things are going to work, then I'll come back with a 10 page desdoc :]

Peaches,

Ok, I'm a Zdoom Noobie but I'll try to help ya :)

1) ...include monsters from heretic/hexen? I saw some hexen monsters were used in Void, but what about heretic monsters? If they are not already implemented, it would be easy to create a terrific mockup from existing monsters (for example, gargoyles that are really modified lost souls, or golems that are really modified demons). I'm sure this would be possible with dehacked patches.

If you're just replaceing old monsters, then you don't need Zdoom. Dehacked can do the same thing you need.

Hub?

I believe so.

3) ...randomly generate monsters every time a player returns to a level? Again, I'm assuming this would be easy because Daedalus used something similar.

This isn't hard with scripting. Just execute a scrip that runs a random number, depending on the number it spawns different monsters.

Drop different things

I think it can.. but I'm not too sure.

no pistol or fists

I know you can strip them of the pistol, but I dont know about the fists.

Addweapons?

Yes.

7) ...randomly lower/raise/open sectors upon crossing a linedef. For example, I have three sectors, and I cross a line that opens a random number of them. It doesn't have to be just one of them, just that it goes through the list and randomly decides if each door will be open or closed. This will help avoid linearity in the cave/dungeon levels.

Thats honestly quite easy to do! :)
Hope that helps

If you're just replaceing old monsters, then you don't need Zdoom. Dehacked can do the same thing you need.

Actually, no, I want to keep the old monsters, particularly the non-human and non-cybernetic.

Another thing I would like to ask: Is it possible to create a 3rd variety of demon that is transparent whilst keeping the other two?

This will most likely be for Zdoom only.

EarthQuake said:

Yes, you can add almost all monsters from Heretic and Hexen (and even somes from Strife) to a Doom map. There are already some that do it.

[quote
2) ...create a hub-style level system like in hexen? I'm assuming this is very possible, because Daedalus used something like this. I wanted to be able to come back to a previous level and have the state of the level preserved.
[/quote]ZDoom has a fully functioning Hub system as Hexen.

As has already been said this can be easily done with scripting. You need some ideas, however for this not to become annoying. It's a lot trial and error.

4) ...have monsters drop randomly picked items? Also, to have each monster type have a different list of items to pick from. For example, when a monster dies, have that monster drop a potion, ammo clip, shells, armored helm bonus, or etc... I don't think this sounds very promising, especially with monsters that were randomly spawned.

All of this is possible. You can assign each monster a special (like a linedef type) that is executed upon death. If you start a script with this you can spawn every object that is available in the game and you don't have to limit yourself in any way. The only thing to be aware of is that all Doom/Heretic monsters that spawn something cannot easily be altered not to do so.

(quote]
5) ...strip the player of the pistol and fists?
[/quote]both possible with scripting. For the game these are just 2 regular weapons.

6) ...add more weapons without removing the originals? Would it be possible to have, let's say, slot 6 contain the plasma rifle and another weapon, as like how the shotgun and combat shotgun both take up slot 3?

Yes, you can use all Heretic, Hexen and some Strife weapons. Most likely you need sprite replacements to better fit Doom's style.

Basically, that's what scripting was invented for, so no problem at all. ;-)

Peaches, [/B]

Believe me: ZDoom is the only port that is able to do what you want. Each other one is lacking at least one crucial feature. (Hubs, for example are currently only supported by ZDoom and Vavoom.) So even if you might have to make compromises in some regards (even ZDoom is not perfect!) it's most likely the only way to go. And don't forget: If you have any questions and problems don't hesitate to ask in the forums on zdoom.org. You'll get help there for sure. :-)

EarthQuake said:

Another thing I would like to ask: Is it possible to create a 3rd variety of demon that is transparent whilst keeping the other two?

Sure, that is possible with Dehacked.

1. Copy all the info from the regular Demon to any other thing (you can easily use decorations for this)
2. Save the Dehacked patch
3. Add the line "Translucency=x" (try a value until you like it)
4. to make the new monster work as every other the following has to be added to the "Bits=" line: "Bits=xxx | PASSMOBJ|MCROSS|PUSHWALL". )xxx is the value saved by Dehacked. This is easily forgotten but essential if you want the monster to be able to trigger linedefs like any other monster in the game.
5. Change every other value you like (speed, health, etc.)

Note: You can't load the edited file into Dehacked anymore so if you want to do more Dehacked changes you have to be careful.

Okay, thank you.
I always know that if I have a question (or questions) there are always people here to answer them. :]

* EarthQuake hugs Doomworld *

Okay, anways, I should ask one more question before I leave:
Is it alright that I do not have a set storyline for this mod yet?

It's strange how it all works out, but I'm more than positive that this mod will have a high replayability factor, even though it doesn't make 100% sense right now.

1. Yes - just include all the graphics and sounds, update the sndinfo lump and you can spawn them via scripting.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, a bit of scripting wizardry will do the trick.

4. Yes, as you can set a monster to run any special or script when killed.

5. Yes.

6. Yes, but restricted to Heretic and Hexen weapons if you want to keep the originals (include the graphics etc. and spawn them with scripting as before). Best thing to do is invent a new weapon that behaves exactly the same as one of the Heretic/Hexen ones, so it feels more like a new weapon. Something called the KEYCONF lump will let you arrange the weapons as you like on the keys. (so you can use 8, 9 and 0 as well if you want)

7. Yes, some more scripting wizardry will do it.

Storyline: Having one to start with is an advantage, as you can then weave the story into the wad (characters, cutscenes etc.) but it is not essential. So you're ok to proceed.

I just made my first zdoom exclusive level! I'm so proud of it too :P
I made my first slopes (and I fully understand them now), my first mirror, and my first camera. If I learned those in 15 minutes, imagine waht I could do if I spent months learning all this stuff.

The scripting part is what really is gonna take a serious blow. :|

Keep in mind that I only have a very limited knowledge of hexen-specific stuff, so these tids and polyobjects and whatnot are pretty new to me. Thanks for all your guys' replies.

EDIT: I was so excited I forgot what I was originally going to say.
There probably won't be very many additional weapons. The only one I knew for sure I was gonna do was the alpha rifle and that could possibly most resemble heretic's dragon's claw's behavior. (that's alot of "'s"'s :D)

Here's a hint: The specials you see in the linedef properties box are the same specials you use in the scripts (plus some internal functions that are script-only). A basic script looks like this:

script 1 (void)

{
Do_StuffHere;
}
(void) means nothing (the script runs when you activate it) Alternatives:
OPEN means it runs when the level starts
ENTER means it runs when the player enters the map
DEATH means it runs when the player dies
(int arg0, int arg1, int arg2) means you can use numbers that occupy the last 3 boxes on the ACS_Execute specials. (you then put 'arg0' 'arg1' 'arg2' in place of the numbers in the script itself)

Okay, thanks for that. It stirred a few memories... maybe I won't have such a hard time, but for right now, I want to take it a step at a time.

On another note, can the accuracy of weapons be changed?
For example, the plasma rifle and rocket launcher have perfect accuracy, as where bullet type weapons are somewhat "off" a bit.

Does accuracy only apply to bullet weapons? If that's the case, then I probably can't change it...

Also, can I define another ammo type? For example, I have two different shotguns that use different ammo types. Could I do this?

EDIT:

I noticed that Deepsea put an entry called script01 in my wad. This is where I put my scripts for map01 right? What about map02, etc? Will it place a scripts02 if I merged a map02 into the wad?

Blah, I'll just try it and see. :]

EDIT (again):
Here is where my weapons stand. Assure me that this weapon setup will work.

Weapon Additions/Modifications
Slot	Description				Ammunition Type

1.	Fists

1.	Chainsaw

1.	Rifle Bayonet

2.	Semiauto. Pistol			Clips/Ammo Boxes

2.	Semiauto. Rifle			        Clips/Ammo Boxes

3.	12gg Shotgun				Blue Slugs

3.	20gg Shotgun				Red Shells/Shell Box

3.	20gg Dual Barrel Shotgun		Red Shells/Shell Box

4.	Auto. Submachinegun			Clips/Ammo Boxes

4.	Auto. Chaingun			        Clips/Ammo Boxes

5.	Rocket Launcher			        Rockets/Rocket Boxes

6.	Plasma Rifle				Energy Cells/Bulk Cells

7.	BFG 9000				Energy Cells/Bulk Cells
There we go. I figured the best way to make this mod successful was to include enough to keep the players at bay, only giving them so many weapons at one time.

Btw, I already have the graphics ready, and I just started to edit the muzzleflashes. Didn't Scuba Steve have a tutorial on making muzzleflash sprites?