Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellmo

DRD project screenies.

Graf Zahl said:

I can't wait to play this. Any chance of a new demo release? ;-)

Probably when I finish E1M5 and detail the earlier maps a bit more...

There are already 104 monsters on UV, including two slime imps, which have 750 hit points. I tried to make them faster than the others, but ZDoom 2.0.61 rejects the script with APROPS_Speed, so when I changed the speed value, those Imps didn't even move :P
But also you can expect about 200 or more enemies. Maybe I'll even add Hell Knights, sounds good?

Do you think I should redetail all the earlier maps to match with E1M5? This is gonna be a lot o work, and I don't think It's neccesary. Each new map after M5 will have this kind of detail, but those four already done have only a percent.

I think you may have a problem if you are trying to make an episode/megawad while still learning to map (not in a newbie way, but still getting much better at a steady pace). The early maps will without a doubt look crappy compared to later ones. A map series is the way many good mappers released their stuff until they got to a point where they had the ability to consistently make a room look top-notch.

ShadowRunner said:

Heh.Yeah i think ellmo is the only true e1 style mapper ive seen besides the guy who did the retro episode wad.

Sorry, but I think you are very wrong here. Ellmo's style is in no way true E1 style.

These mappers are the ones that I consider true e1 artists:

John Romero
Jan van der Veken
Anthony "Swedish Fish" Soto
Esa "Espi" Repo
Chris "c-cooper" Hansen
Sean Birkel

EDIT: uh, yes. sorry Kristian.

Erik said:

The early maps will without a doubt look crappy compared to later ones.(...)

That's what I'm afraid of :P Maybe not "crappy" - they're still up the standards, but far less detailed. Maybe beacuse I added new textures too late, and going back to early maps to detail them with new textures is not the same as creating new detailed map from begining.

Yes I am very experienced with that problem. The best things to do are probably to either scrap the maps and remake them or just look the other way and hope they will be decent enough in the end.

Erik: you forgot Tom Hall, who made E1M4 and the first half of E1M8.. and I'd cut a lot of the names off your list too :P Sean Birkel for one violated a lot of E1 rules in Fava Beans (by having insane amounts of outdoor areas and just generally ripping ideas straight from E1).

I probably have far more experience with E1 than most people, since that's all the Doom I had for 2 1/2 years, and have studied it excessively, so I'm working on an E1-style documentation for Dr. Sleep's page that will hopefully be a handy reference to people trying to imitate E1-style.

baldy:
I don't define E1 the way you do (with purist texture choices, no faded lighting etc). I define it more in a general minimalistic but still awesome architecture, and non-symmetrical, non square design way.

i judge that stuff (the aesthetics if you will) in as well. that stuff you can't very well describe on paper though, and that's also the part that prevents me from making a good E1-style map.

I don't think it's really possible to recreate true E1 feel. The nostalgia and familiar feel of the old levels make the player too biased. it's better to try to create something original (and fantastic) usually.

If you showed Class_Ep and doom E1 to a player who never played either of them, there is no doubt that Class_Ep would be a winner (imo).

Well,while i was daydreaming in school i dont know how this happens to me,but i always daydream about making maps while im being shown what to draw out,how to do it,the texture,and the effect.

Todays idea was:
1.Recreate the feel of e1m4.
2.Turn that into a Nukage pump station.
3.Create the feel of mixing elements from e1m1,e1m4,and e1m2 textures into it.

Has this ever happened to anyone before?