• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkhaven4

Doom : Pandora Tomorrow

Alright, first thing's first.

NO, I'M NOT ASKING FOR HELP.

Second thing's first.

Yeah, I know, I've just earned myself a title for being notorious for ripping off names.

Now, about the project.

My plan is to create a 15-map episode for Doom2 that would:

1. Finally introduce myself in the Doom Editing community as a talented mapper

and

2. See how far I can push the Doom engine over the line.

Also, I would've tried to attempt to get this map set remembered as
the hugest map set in Doom history, but that's kinda pushing it, if you know what I mean.

The stats for MAP01 are...

253 Sectors
1330 Sidedefs
991 Linedefs
735 Vertices
4 Things ( I only put the player starts )

Now, as I said, I'm not directly asking for help, but it would definitely be easier to get a whole team of mappers...Mapping, and it would definitely go alot faster. Drop me a line at elric@monumentweb.com if you're interested.

Also, speaking of interesting, if you want a copy of the pre-alpha map01 PM me.

If you are not asking for help, then what is the point of this thread?

If you are trying to pimp something, then you need something to pimp.

So you're letting us know about a mod that you don't even care to explain or describe?

What a way to get us all hyped up.

DarkHaven4 said:

The point of this thread was so people would know about it.

You assume that these folks haven't seen fifty million different upcoming projects, 90% of which never get done, whose authors make threads like this... you will soon learn that that's a big assumption to make. :-P

ShadowRunner said:

Like Team leader, like team member.

Uh-oh... just, uh-oh... anyone else feel the omen here?

Can't newby mod authors/mappers just post their projects in peace without getting harassed about asking for help?

I promise you, flaming every new project isn't going to make them stop posting about their spur of the moment projects. I swear, everytime i see one of these come up, someone flames the poor guy (who is usually new to the community) who is trying to get people interested. We know no one is going to help, but they don't.

There are exceptions to the rule, but generally, if you have a negative attitude towards the topic ala 'DOOM: PANDORA TOMORROW", you shouldn't even bother reading it anyway.

The point is, that there's no point... In flaming these posts.

*/Me Sits back into his rocking chair wiggling his cane at these young whippersnappers!*

Fusion said:

Can't newby mod authors/mappers just post their projects in peace without getting harassed about asking for help?

Not if they're stupid about it.

Darkhaven4 said:

the hugest map set in Doom history, but that's kinda pushing it, if you know what I mean.

The stats for MAP01 are...

253 Sectors
1330 Sidedefs
991 Linedefs
735 Vertices
4 Things ( I only put the player starts )

You have a VERY long way to go.

Darkhaven4 said:
Yeah, I know, I've just earned myself a title for being notorious for ripping off names.

Euh, "green marine" is the standard title for anyone with more than a certain amount of posts.

As people already pointed out to you, if you want to promote your project you should at least provide a few screenshots. Otherwise, people will remain very sceptical about it.

Mordeth said:

Euh, "green marine" is the standard title for anyone with more than a certain amount of posts.

As people already pointed out to you, if you want to promote your project you should at least provide a few screenshots. Otherwise, people will remain very sceptical about it.

psst mord, he was talking about the title of his wad

and finish mordeth damnit

Hey, Map01's nowhere near done yet. What's the max, like 6535 sectors?
Well, for zDoom or another limit-removing port that is?

65536 is the limit in zdoom, half that in other ports. but you'll run into the segs limit way before you hit the sector limit (also 65536 in zdoom, half in other ports) or the sidedef limit if the wad is for zdoom (since you can go as high as you want with segs since zdoom can build nodes for you), also 65536 in zdoom, half everywhere else

you'll never make it though

Darkhaven4 said:

Holy shit, I do have a long way to go!

And Deus Vult is already getting close.

Darkhaven4 said:

Holy shit, I do have a long way to go!

I don't see the point myself. Why not focus on making it a good map, rather than some sort of limit-tester/record-breaker?

Darkhaven4 said:

My plan is to create a 15-map episode for Doom2 that would:

1. Finally introduce myself in the Doom Editing community as a talented mapper

and

2. See how far I can push the Doom engine over the line.

Yeah that is pushing it. In fact the whole project is pushing it. Start small, do like 10 small fast-paced fun maps and show people how well you can design, not how many sectors you can plop in into one map. A 15 level episode with huge maps will not only take forever but will probably be a chore to play.

A chore. Like having to eat a large bowl of overcooked asparagus.
Ew.