Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

SNES Doom mod

So basically you guys are telling me SNES Doom is amusing enough to spend 12.00 on?

Grimm said:

So basically you guys are telling me SNES Doom is amusing enough to spend 12.00 on?

I spent $20.00 on my copy. Never regretted it.

was great in.. ¿95? My first doom too.

But now..... well.... ahem.... crap.

The music was pretty good, inmo. (much better than those midis played with Sound Blaster 16...)

ahh yes, the good old days of e1m1 music with sound blaster awe32. Sheer computed musical glory.

Speaking of which, there's a metal cover for e1m1 called "doom" by the minibosses.

Haha.... yeah!!! Awe 32 Rules!!! I still own an Isa Awe 32 Gold lol

Duke Nukem 3d main theme was SOOOOO great too!!

I think i will play this mod whatever will be finished.

Well, now im playing DooM Gba. Very similar. :) (with with a MUCH worse music)

oh yeah! I also played duke3d on the same computer, 75mhz yo!! pumpin the theme music...

doo doo doo, doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo doo doo dangh dangh, da na

I'm hear to help!

Snes doom shading was "checkered" ex. white, white grey white grey, grey, grey black grey black. it was an FX chip thing. you can see it a lot in Starfox.

DOOM doesn't have an FX2 chip. If it did, you wouldn't be able to use Game Genie codes with it, but you can and I opened up my copy (literally) and found no FX2 chip.
You know, one of those "just to make sure" things?

Nick Perrin said:

Speaking of which, there's a metal cover for e1m1 called "doom" by the minibosses.

The Minibosses have never done any covers of Doom. Your song file is mislabeled.

As for making the music in this SNES Doom mod the same as the original, you'll have some trouble. The only tool that I know of that can convert SPCs to Impulse Tracker files, openSPC, won't work with SNES Doom. Using MP3s or OGGs would be your only option, other than writing an SPC player into a source port.

Hey, how about going a step further and adding enemies/maps that were missing from SNES Doom, but redone in that same "style"?

No, not likely. Look here, under Music Playback. SPCs are not your ordinary music file. You'd need to program in the functionality of the SNES's sound chip to play them anywhere besides an SNES, which is exactly what emulators and SPC players do.

AFAIK, Randy specificly added functionality to playback SPCs. Look at this filename, right from the v2.0.60 source:

zdoom-2.0.60/src/sound/music_spc.cpp

Hey, I know this thread is getting old, but I have a contribution.

freewebs.com/bashe/snesdoom.wad

This makes it so the sounds are right (SNDINFO, so Zdoom only) and everything is one-sided.

I haven't done anything with the music, yet.

UPDATE: The music is now incorporated in. MP3 format, mind you.

All the songs that weren't in SNES Doom (e1m6 song, victory, bunny) won't be in there. I haven't taken out the levels that weren't in SNES Doom yet, so their songs will just be their songs for Original Doom (either SNES or Original versions).

ANOTHER UPDATE: This wad is HUGE UNFATHOMABLE. All thanks to those big honkin MP3 files. It's over 59MB, so I won't upload it to my site. Don't get mad.

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: I added a .deh file into the wad to remove the gibbing frames. I will probably do more with the .deh later. I also added a cyberdemon melee attack like in SNES Doom.

Bashe, I've already got the music. Upload the wad sans the mp3s. I want to see what you've got.

Bashe said:

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: I added a .deh file into the wad to remove the gibbing frames. I will probably do more with the .deh later. I also added a cyberdemon melee attack like in SNES Doom.

What? I never knew that, what does he do?

Use3D said:

What? I never knew that, what does he do?

The attack animation is the rocket flare - the noise is the scratch attack that imps (and in this version of Doom, demons and cacos) shared with it. It was about as powerful as a baron's melee attack.

Job said:

The attack animation is the rocket flare - the noise is the scratch attack that imps (and in this version of Doom, demons and cacos) shared with it. It was about as powerful as a baron's melee attack.

Oh, looks like I have to update once again...

:) All done!

Job said:

Hah, that's just dumb.

Nick Perrin said:

Hah, that's just dumb.

Say what you like, but I found it novel that the developers of SNES Doom took the liberty of giving the cyberdemon a melee attack. I think something as big and powerful as that should be able to rely on more than a rocket launcher.

So, uh... what do you think of my work?

I've only done the basics so far.

You did a great start on restoring some of the SNES Doom "features". :) However, if it's possible to speed up the enemies either by doing it through .deh or simply removing frames, I'd suggest it. Also, the potency of the rocket launcher, plasma rifle and bfg are slightly higher in SNES Doom. I recall, for example, that one plasma shot was equivalent to 5-7 bullets worth of damage as opposed to 2 bullets in the PC version. Also, is it possible to make it so that the cyberdemon uses it's melee attack more often. I put myself in it's face and it used it only once and used the rocket attack about 20 times. : / Lastly, if you need the music, I can send it to you. Either way, great job so far. :)

I dunno how to make it use the melee attack more often. It's one of those things where I'm helpless like this: freewebs.com/bashe/duyh!.jpg (The one on the left)

I can probably do the rest easy. It will take some time.

Job,

A *small* update because of XDoom=
I've made the pistol fire in that "odd, SNES-ish" way. Also, I've gotten some more floormaps. IIRC, I've gotten the following:

FMAP2A
FMAP2B
FMAP2E
FMAP1E
FMAP3F
FMAP3X
FMAP4B

EDIT: I just ripped the OCEAN screen. It replaces CREDIT1.

Heh, great work guys. If you need any resources in particular, I can check my rom ripping folders for them - or if you want to contact me directly, my AIM name is saviormike. Otherwise, just PM me please.

Yeah, only a pooey pants would get in the melee range :)

I'm going to be updating for quite a while. I realized that in SNES Doom, the Spider Mastermind dies really quickly. I'll have to change that. Who here has SNES Doom and knows if the Cyberdemon dies quickly? I would get the rom and check, but I'm too bust right now.