Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jive

Vile Flesh, by Gwyn Williams: upcoming Legacy version

I'm at work since one month on a project with the authorization given by Gwyn for an adaptation of his great megawad "Vile Flesh".
Here is something to please you... At least, it's my hope!!!

It's a shot from Map12:

For more about it, you can look at my MSN group here:
http://tinyurl.com/5837y
Other informations are available here:
http://tinyurl.com/5twca

For now, I already converted/embellished 25 of the 32 Maps. I'm fully at work on it, which means several thousand of hours... just for you, happy Doomers!!!

ReX said:

Holy sh*t, Jive, that screenpic in jDooM looks fabulous.

that's doom legacy

ReX said:

Holy sh*t, Vile Flesh, by Gwyn Williams: upcoming... Legacy... version.

:-D

I won't deny that these screenshots look great, but unfortunately I won't be playing it as it requires Legacy. There are barely any good weapon mods for Legacy, and don't tell me "Just play with regular Doom weapons, geez" because I am sick of them.

Let the man use what he wants to use. No one is asking you to play it.

Darkman 4 said:

Of all ports, why Legacy? If you want to make a graphics heavy version, the use JDoom for gods sake.

You consider a few dynamic lights too graphics heavy?

Looking good jive :)

WildWeasel said:

I won't deny that these screenshots look great, but unfortunately I won't be playing it as it requires Legacy. There are barely any good weapon mods for Legacy, and don't tell me "Just play with regular Doom weapons, geez" because I am sick of them.

That one was new.
And I thought I had heard them all.

These Legacy lights look like total shit! I don't mind dynamic lights but at least they should be rendered correctly. This looks more like fog spheres than light.

They can be used for some interesting lighting effects, but your right - they look like fog spheres.

Just be glad that the renderer is getting rewritten - I think the current one was/is the original opengl renderer.

One day the anti-legacy mongs will realize its not that bad. Notice I didn't say when.

On subject, that's really awesome Jive :) I may try it out!

Melfice said:

One day the anti-legacy mongs will realize its not that bad. Notice I didn't say when.

That might happen when it's no longer bad... :D

Melfice said:

One day the anti-legacy mongs will realize its not that bad.

I'll only acknowledge that Legacy is not bad when it stops corrupting my savegames. I still cannot play Nimrod because of this.

Graf Zahl said:

That might happen when it's no longer bad... :D

Well Legacy is being rewritten in C++, so maybe all the bugs will get worked out after that. But the latest version has been very stable on my machine, and no big annoying bugs.

I've always found it funny the shit people claims Legacy does, as I've played Legacy since I first went to NewDoom where it's hosted 3 years ago, and never once had a problem with it. I think there's three possibilities:

1.) The machine the person is running it on is shit and it's their fault.

2.) The person some how fucked up and aren't admitting to it.

3.) By some odd chance Legacy actually screwed up, which I doubt, considering for 3 years I've never faced a problem with Legacy, at all, as well as several others.

Darkhaven said:

All those wacky Legacy effects look horribly gaudy against underdetailed rooms.

... underdetailed rooms?!?

About lightings, you can adjust them exactly like you like them, using the setting for coronas' size. Mine are adjusted to 2 (gr_coronasize "2.000000") for my Ati Radeon 9700 Pro. Maybe you should adjust them for your own graphic card and your own preferences? And my preferences for coronas' size, gamma settings and fog intensity and color are abviously not yours, but that doesn't mean that Legacy is a shitty port!!!

... underdetailed rooms... This comment makes me think that you should create your own full megawad with underdetailed rooms before criticizing the GIFT offered by others...
GIFT... Do you even understand the meaning of this word?!?

Have I to consider that this place isn't definitely the place to share gifts?!?
For my part, I don't like Zdoom, nor Jdoom. But I NEVER told that they are shitty ports. There are only shitty guys... and a crazy Frenchie trying to share. Why I came here, hmmmm? Why???... Surely because I'm really crazy, hey?

Look, why are you overreacting? I'm just trying to imply that maybe you should go back and add some detail to each of the rooms. And by the way, I do have several mapping projects underway. You can give me shit after they're done.

Please note that English is not Jive's first language, I think he even uses a translator to read and write posts. It's easy to misinterpret so go easy, k thanks?