Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foofoo

What do you people use for making your doom wad stuff?

For all those people who make their own graphics and music out there for your wads, what progs do you use??

Oh, me? What do I use you ask? For graphics I used a combination of Delux Paint 2 (old as shit) and Photoshop (mainly just for converting to .bmp from Delux Paint's .pcx files). Music, i use Cakewalk Express (Not sure what version, but an old one) without using any instruments (just clicking, making notes). How about you people? Come on, don't be shy...

Most of my graphics are done in Paint, Paintshop pro, and Irfanview. I use Cool Edit for sound effect editing.

For Graphics:
A whole myriad of things. I have Paint Shop Pro 8.1, Photoshop 7 (PhotoshopCS will not install in Win98SE), Irfanview (for conversions), and MS Paint for those quick edits.

For Sounds:
Cool Edit Pro 2.0 - it's all I'll ever need. I even have plugins to make it work with FLAC and OGG encoded sounds.

For Lumps:
Wintex 5.0 and the latest version of XWE.

I also use WhackEd, Notepad, and the text-editor built in to 2xExplorer to write DEH patches, and the good ol' DOS prompt for mass renaming.

yeah i forgot- i use 3dsmax as well. thats right. forgot all about that. havent used it in a while though.

Graphics:
PSP 7, Wally, and Gmax (freeware 3dsmax, don't use it anymore),

Sound: Nero Wave Editor (yes, it sucks :)

Maps: Doom Builder (nothing new tough)

Lump management and misc.: XWE, Whacked

Messing with Pallettes and Colormaps: XWE, DeepSea, PSP

Maps: DeePsea
Graphics: PSP 6
Music: Cakewalk Home Studio 3.01
Lumps: WinTex for simple stuff, for advanced stuff and tedious jobs I usually create a batch script

maps: DoomBuilder
graphics: ehm, I steal them!
music: ehm, I steal it!
lumps: XWE since wintex decided to stop working.

Maps - DoomEd 4, Doom Builder
Textures - I usually steal them, but I do it in Wintex.
Sounds - See "TEXTURES"
LMPs - XWE refused to work for me, so to hell with it.

For maps, Doom Builder is the one for me. I never have made one texture, but if I would make one, I'd use my copy of Paintshop Pro 8. Music and Sound is kinda bare, but I'm getting Cakewalk soon, so I suppose that'll be music 101 there. And finally, I use XWE for lump editing, because Wintex doesn't work for one reason or another.

My utilities of choice are: PSP, Deth, Zeth, Dehacked, NWT.

Wordpad for EDGE stuff, notepad to make notes for EDGE stuff (that's how I managed to handle all the damage resisance and immunity stuff with ease - saves sifting through my attack data file), MSPaint for making modifications to the graphics I steal, and Wintex 5.0 for all the data management in the wadfiles. And shortly, Music Match and Nero for setting up CD soundtracks for Doom 1, 2, and Final Doom ;)

Vegeta said:

Deth, Zeth, Dehacked

Now yer talkin'!
As for other programs... I don't do graphics and sounds... I have NMN for that :)

Doom Builder
Xwe
Wintex
Whacked2
Swantbls.exe
Recording Session (some olde .mid making program, quite good for people who can read notes)
Sound Club 95 (piano-roll type tracker program, saves in .s3m format, also exports to .wav)
Cool Edit Pro 2.0
Gimp (Gnu Image Manipulation Program)

Maps: Doom Builder
Wads: XWE
Sound editing: GoldWave
Making GFX: Photoshop 7.0
Arranging lumps: Deepsea
Making scripts: EditPlus

Misc tools: Dehacked, Whacked, LeapFTP, Winzip, WinRAR

That's EVERYTHING I use. :)

Wintex to extract sprites for modification and to create art-only wads.

PSP 7 to edit sprites.

Doom2.wad as source of extracted sprites :-P

Map Editor: Doom Builder / Deepsea
Lump Import/Export: XWE
Graphics: Photoshop 7.0, Wally, Texsynth, thievery
Sound/Music: Goldwave, thievery

dsm said:

Wintex to extract sprites for modification and to create art-only wads.

PSP 7 to edit sprites.

Doom2.wad as source of extracted sprites :-P

o_O
*_*
Please don't tell me those RTC-sprites are modified ones from Doom.. :(

Maps: the best level editor, doombuilder.
Graphics(sprites, textures): Photoshop 6.0, MS paint
WAD organization: Wintex, XWE
Sound: Cool edit Pro 2.1, Sonic foundry Sound forge 5.0

Maps: WadAuthor (what is this DoomBuilder that I keep seeing??)
Graphics: The GIMP (gimp.org)
Lumps: XWE (used to use Wintex)
Sound: Sound Recorder (:P)

KoolKat said:

what is this DoomBuilder that I keep seeing??)

DoomBuilder is a revolutionary next-gen editor for the classic DOOMs.
It features a unique GUI (Graphical User Interface), which allows you to build your maps from the 3d perspective rather that from the 2d top-down perspective.....
Anyways, if you've ever tried to make maps for Duke3d....well, DoomBuilder is mostly just the same thing as that utility used for Duke.
Many people compliment DoomBuilder because it makes certain aspects of design, such as the alignment of textures, get done very quickly.
I, however, still prefer to use WinDEU in the long run for the vast majority of my work.
But nonetheless, DoomBuilder might come in handy for some last-minute tune-ups. :)

Have you ever played Deus Vult? that was made with doombuilder by a NEWBIE TO MAPPING. The gameplay sucked, but that's something you need mapping experience to do well. Just to show you HOW EASY it makes making nice looking levels.

It also has some handy configs for certain doom ports and you can make your own configs, but its true strength is the 3d mode that allows you to see almost exactly what your level will look like without having to test every two damn seconds.

3d-mode pffft. DB's main strengths are in its simplicity and the speedy features which allows you to map faster.