Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Galaxy_Stranger

I need some map testers -

I need about 4 people or so to play with this map to see how it pans out. Uh - 4 people at one time...heh. (I'm a lonely loser who has noone to play with)

http://www.zdoom-homeworld.0catch.com/fishtank.htm

I need to see if it works as a map. Don't mind the cyber-demons; I put them in there in anticipation of creating another trap for the map.

Let me know what you guys think!

I think it's quite bad. You're probably new to Doom designing so continue making levels. There are some good features.

Ok.

1. You said it was bad. Can you tell me WHY it's fucking bad? See, if I don't know WHY you didn't like it, I can't change what you didn't like about it.

2. You said there were some good features...ok, WHAT features did you consider good?

I think he means its bad in compairson with what has been seen.

As for the features, im just going by the screenshot's here, ok? looks like the colourd lighting, and maby some inovative little lift or somthing (idk)

Now for improvement, Add detail, like wall lights, Sky Lights, Shutters on windows, Supports, Curves. E.c.t. you know?

Hope you found this usefull.

Galaxy_Stranger said:

Ok.

1. You said it was bad. Can you tell me WHY it's fucking bad? See, if I don't know WHY you didn't like it, I can't change what you didn't like about it.

2. You said there were some good features...ok, WHAT features did you consider good?

You said to tell you what we think. That's what I think.

Equally brilliant, Lutrov...
Your comments aren't constructive because you not only don't say WHAT the problem is, you don't offer any alternative.

oh, fuck this.

Ok, my problem is that there are huge pits that make you fall for an extraordinarily long time, there are double doors which I don't like and look horrible, as well as uneven staircases that don't have alligned textures to the sides of them. There are unalligned textures everywhere, places that need above and below textures, use of textures that are ugly when are more than 128 of the ground are used, and the texture scheme is awful. MARBLE, with floor4_8 and flat4 with BIGDOOR and gray textures do not look good together.
Happy?

Now.
Why the FUCK didn't you just say so to begin with?
...aside from the fact that you missed the point of the original post.

-:[EDIT]:-

Jackass.

-:[EDITx2]:-

Fucktard.

You said you'd at least like somebodies opinion on it. My opinion is that it's quite bad. Jeez, what's your problem?

Well, I played it with bots just now. I'd say it's way too small, and symmetrical. The traps are a nice idea, but they're too similar, mainly because there's four of each of them. Then the teleporter that puts you into the middle water tube is rather irritating, surprising, but annoying. I think it'd help alot if you made it larger, and less symmetrical, although that'd basically mean a complete overhaul of the map. It just feels little, really there's only one area that'd be decent for any sort of fight, and that's the middle area. Traps in death match aren't a bad idea, I do like the concept of being able to trap people when they go for high power weaponry, so I'd keep at least one of those, but it really needs to be expanded I think, and have a little more variation.

I hope this helps at least a little bit, and I realize that the textures are just place holders, so that's why I didn't bring them up. But uh, yeah, I really hope you do something with those doors.

Thanks for the reply, Jello. You've given me a lot of helpful information. I guess I F'd up and uploaded the wrong map - I put the marines in just to see if I could get an idea of what it would be like with real players. They're not going to be in the final version, and I thought I had already taken them out.

What is it that you don't like about the doors? What do you think I should do with them?

As you said, the central room is where most of the fighting is supposed to be. That's kinda how I saw it. I wanted to make everything symmetrical so the players, (especially when worried about fighting), would not have any kind of sense of direction. Is that a bad think in deathmatch?

Instead of randomizing the teleport, I wanted to figure out a trap. Perhaps even sprung by the player himself.

How much larger do you think it should be?

Well, first off, the doors. Just don't make them so huge, and go all the way up the ceiling. Just make them one door tall, and then lower the ceiling around them, but that's purely aesthetic. Or you could remove them, I'm not a huge fan of doors in deathmatch, they slow things down too much, halt the flow.

Personally I like to have some idea of where I am, and I did find that it was easy to forget which area you've just been in. I guess if you're going for a sort of dead simple type map, small, symmetrical, lots of death, then it's close. But I think the stairways and the doors kind of hamper a good kill frenzy, and the traps imply that there should be a bit more thought in the fighting.

You should probably put in some more weapons too, just plasma rifles gets pretty old. Put a rocket launcher in one of the tanks, double shotty in another, plasma in another, maybe a chaingun, or another double shotty in the last. That'd make the gameplay more varied.

I think that maybe adding some teleports up where you enter the pit might be handy. It'd make it more hectic with people warping into the middle area.

As for enlarging it, I'm really not sure. If you really want it to be disorienting, you could simply copy what you already have, paste it, and make a hallway connecting them. Then possibly some teleports near where you enter the tanks. With the identical layout, it'd be hard to know where you were (and what weapon you're going to get when you go down in the tank). That idea sort of depends on how many people you're planning on having in the map, with 4, then a double layout like that might get boring, but with 8 I think you'd pretty much need the extra room.

Probably get rid of the cyber pits, pits in general are just irritating I think, especially when you're trying to fight. Maybe just make those areas with the pits into smaller rooms. Give some more areas to fight in. As for the middle area, I'd probably make it 1.5 times bigger, not too big, but enough so you have some room to maneuver, and so you don't get creamed if you're waiting for a door to open.

In the end, it's all up to you, but I just feel that it's a little small and cramped, and repetetive. Just had a thought, you could possibly take two of the areas that are currently tanks, get rid of the stairs and the upper areas, and make them connect to each other with another room in between. Not sure if that's a very good description, but I think that two tanks is probably enough, and it'd be nice to have two areas with enough room for some good strafing fights.

I think I covered most of the things I meant to, hope some of my suggestions are helpful.

Thanks, Jello!

You've given me a lot to mull over. Maybe by next week, I'll have an updated version suited to more people's tastes. But your suggestions still keep the map true to it's original intent.

Yeah - the doors are cosmetic and I was gonna fix all the cosmetic stuff after the map itself was finalized.

Again, thanks!