Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Corrupted Marine

Rain scripting for ZDoom

I just came up with a great idea. So far, zdoom can process, floors on floors, deep water, fog, and tons of other effects, but i have a great idea thats in the working, what if i scripted particle effects to make RAIN. like streaks of particle effects that simply zip down from the sky and hit the ground with a little splash. The scripting is very complicated so far however, but its just a little idea I came up with. You like?

The scripting for rain should be pretty simple, I'd imagine (although due to limited ACS experience I can't be certain). Check out LittleWhiteMouse's maps for some good examples of rain (with variable density too).

Rain has indeed been done, but not with particles.

Edit: Snow has been done too. Looked pretty good.

well doesnt that suck... i thought i had a great idea goin. :) ive never seen the rain done before. owell. and snow seems pretty cool too. do you know where the file is that has the snow effect?

The best snow I've seen was tnt3.wad (or was it tnt2.wad). Takes a big bite out of yout processor though.

Ghostbusters Doom had a sprite that was set to high speed animation in Dehacked, and placed all over. It looked decent for the times, and because the sprites were tall, you didn't notice unless you saw them from above.

In my wad in progress I use an animated window texture and an ambient sound for rain. It creates a good effect and atmosphere, probably looks better than particals or sprites.

Although, only works for indoor areas.

Doom Millennium and Anomaly had rain in them. That was back in 98.
they were fighting over wich of them came with it first or something.

Equinox have rain.

any port with scripting can create rain fairly easy. it's just a matter of spawning objects or particles over and over from the ceiling in a random pattern.

I've made a wad where the rain would start and stop randomly and there'd go thunder once in a while aswell. But I never released it. so. HAHAHAHAAHAA-

The first map of QDooM had rain.
It's the best looking rain I have seen so far.
Or maybe I just think so because it also had rain sound?
Anyway, it's the first map, the portal map before map01, as I recall.

In the first part of my mod, there is rain with thunder that flashes(dynamic lighting) and uses a bunch of different thunder sounds, I also have a bunch of good rain sounds for different areas, for example under a metal roof the rain sounds different than outside in a field, etc.