Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sharessa

A Wad by Danarchy

I decided that if I made a level out of prefabs that I might actualy finish it because of all the time it would save. Well, I made a ton fo nifty hallway prefabs and started laying them down willy-nilly and in about an hour and a half (not counting the 2-3 hours I spent on my first design which DB killed before I saved it) I had a good framework for a rather large level. So today I worked a bit more on it and managed to make a couple large room (one rather detailed) and another small half-finished room in about 6 or so hours. I'd say its coming along rather nicely. I'm also using the linedef curving tool rather liberaly.

Well anyway, I wanted some feedback to encourage me to finish this thing so I decided to post some screenshots here:

http://youfailit.net/danarchy/Wad0000.png
A control room.
http://youfailit.net/danarchy/Wad0001.png
The master computer room.
http://youfailit.net/danarchy/Wad0002.png
A room overlooking the master computer room.
http://youfailit.net/danarchy/Wad0003.png
The blue lounge!
http://youfailit.net/danarchy/Wad0004.png
Prefaby goodness!
http://youfailit.net/danarchy/Wad0005.png
A computer room overlooking an aquafir (aquafir not shown).

So there you go. I hope I'm not misusing this forum.

Looks good and fun, but try to add a bit more detail in the walls, like some supports, ventilations, computers, or stuff like that. Also, I think that some areas are too bright.
But looks good. And I'm sure that it fits pretty good with Kronos' DOOM 3 weapon mod.

Danarchy said:

I hope I'm not misusing this forum.

if it was, then this forum would suXorz royally.

Those screenies look really nice. Doom 1, yay. Really nice man. You *best* finish it.

Vegeta said:

Also, I think that some areas are too bright.

Well, I wanted it to be rather bright at parts since it's a shiny high-tech base. But don't worry, I'll add some gloominess to it. For instance, the next thing I'm doing is going to be a broken-down railway that you have to trek through.

Hellbent said
Those screenies look really nice. Doom 1, yay. Really nice man. You *best* finish it.

Actualy, it's Doom 2, but I'm using Doom 1 textures because it has a lot of good techbase stuff.

Thanks for the comments.

Danarchy said:

Actualy, it's Doom 2, but I'm using Doom 1 textures because it has a lot of good techbase stuff.

Thanks for the comments.

Heh, all the better. I recently wanted to do the same thing. Map in Doom 2, but use the doom 1 textures. Hell, why haven't I done this a long time ago? I've always liked the doom 1 textures more. Torn was gonna texture one of my dm maps with the E1 tech base textures from his DOOM 1 texture set wad file he has. But I never heard from him again after we agreed that he'd do it - this was about over a week ago now. I was gonna ask him to send me a copy of his doom 1 textures wad. But maybe I'll just ask you instead. :P chesterules@yahoo.com

Yea, I really like the looks of those screenies. So inviting. Comfy like. I'd throw a party in there any day. The only little small suggestion I might make (since I just *HAVE* to come up with some sort of advice... would be the hallway looks kinda long. hallways, especially grid based hallways which is so rampant in these über detailed maps taht I am always expressing my extreme disdain for. You strike a nice detail balance. Just don't over do it is my only request.

When's the map(s) gonna be done?

Shitbag: Actualy, I was planning on using an atmospheric remix of one of my old tunes for this map.

Hellbent: Well, I am using this texture wad. I have no idea when I'll be done, but if I keep up at this pace I should be done within a month. I just need to stop posting here and work on my damn map already. :P

Not bad, needs more detail on some of the walls though. Maybe just add a wall light here and there, some computers, maybe a window? Who knows. Looks good anyway.

Out of curiousity, is there any certain style/theme you were going for (obviously, besides blue)?

It's mostly a grey/blue theme, though there is a dingy part of the level (which I'm currently working on). Basicaly, it's an underground military weapons lab on a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri. Thusly, I have decided to name the map Centauri Labs. :P

Also, I have an update with a few pics of a tram station I've made:

http://youfailit.net/danarchy/Wad0006.png
The interior.

http://youfailit.net/danarchy/Wad0007.png
The exterior.

http://youfailit.net/danarchy/Wad0008.png
A mysterious side room.

Clearly this is proving it's a 1st map attempt so I'm not gonna bash you for it. That doesn't mean you can get away with everything you have so far. Detail and open rooms are key to making a map look good, and good monster/ammo/weapon balance makes a maps gameplay good. And that tram station has got to be the weirdest attempt I've seen of one so far.

Needs more pre-fabs.

Really though, it looks decent. Like someone else said, it reminds me of the DOOM Alpha maps. Toss in some thing decorations, enemies, dead marines, and those comfy looking chairs .. and you've got yourself a map. :p

I know what this lacks! lighting. I couldn't put my finger on it earlier but now i see that it simply needs a little more detail and some better lighting. add some lights on the cieling in larger areas, stuff like that. and shadows in some rooms look nice!

Bloodskull said:

Clearly this is proving it's a 1st map attempt so I'm not gonna bash you for it. That doesn't mean you can get away with everything you have so far.

Bahahahaha

You best step off your box son. You're the last person around here that should be saying anything like this. He can "get away" with whatever he wants.

Bloodskull said:

Detail and open rooms are key to making a map look good, and good monster/ammo/weapon balance makes a maps gameplay good. And that tram station has got to be the weirdest attempt I've seen of one so far.

Detail and open rooms are NOT the "key to making a map look good". What constitutes it actually looking good is a matter of opinion. So far, I think it looks quite good. There doesn't need to be an assload of sector based light fixtures and pillars and what have you. There's only one shot of the tram station so I'm not quite sure what you're basing your opinion on with that.

That said, this reminds me of the older, simpler style. I'm quite impressed with your mapping attempts so far dan, can't wait to see it finished to give it a proper judgement.

Pwned.
Im not a big fan of silver maps myself (TeamTNT ruined them for me), but it looks really good, especially for early on.

Nick Perrin said:

I know what this lacks! lighting. I couldn't put my finger on it earlier but now i see that it simply needs a little more detail and some better lighting. add some lights on the cieling in larger areas, stuff like that. and shadows in some rooms look nice!

Heh, too bad I suck at lighting. I'm not going to go out of my way to make any special lighting effects. All my attempts at doing to made for bizarre anomalies and deformed sectors. Never again.

Really all I'm doing is just finding a place I feel like mapping on and doing whatever seems natural. I'm going for slightly detailed but not insanely detailed. I'm pretty much going back to the pre-Alien Vendeta days. I'm doing this for fun, not style anyway. And now, back to mapping.

P.S. This isn't really my first map anyway.

What editor are you using? If you're not using it already, you should use doombuilder. Makes lighting and detail easier, and texture alignment, and overall map progress is quicker with no loss of quality.

I'm using Doom Builder, but my problem is with good sector drawing. That's my main weakness when it comes to mapping period. I have a hard time making anything look natural in that respect. That's probably why I stick to making techbases for the most part. :P

Tormentor667 said:

Needs more detail!

Seconded. This here guy is as detail addicted as myself so when he says "Detail!" I say "It does!"

Tormentor667 said:

Needs more detail!

You know, that isn't funny anymore. if doombuilder only had "draw rectangular/polygonal sector"

Eh? Pressing Insert in Linedef or Sector mode works pretty much like that. You draw the sector however you want it.

Detail does not make a level good. It's been said and proven time and time again. Your map looks really cool Dan and I'd like to play it when it's ready.

And Shadowrunner, stfu.

Make your map gameplay-wise first, with moderate detail like you have now, just to get a good feel. Then, before you release it, play through and look for spots where you could add a hella lot of detail and do so!!! That is, if you don't feel like detailing while you do it.